News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

La abadia del crimen in English?

Started by Gryzor, 09:37, 11 February 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

It's amazing. I started this thread on Feb 2011 but the people in this community are so great one must never lose hope :)

Nich

Quote from: khaz on 14:11, 21 October 17
I've tested it to the best of my abilities while inserting the text, so there shouldn't be any dictionary inversion or spelling mistake. I can't be sure that all the phrases are played at the correct moment. They should, but only a full playthrough can guarantee it.

I don't know if you've seen them already, but there are two playthroughs of the game available on YouTube:

@Metr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDBDAVxwIxo

@Retrodanuart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpCv8OngE1g

Both videos are about 1 hour and 50 minutes long! If you can find the time to watch them, it should help you understand the context in which the scrolling messages are displayed.

QuoteThe ending scrolling text has been tested by inserting it in the intro scroll. Again, it should work correctly but I've never reached the actual ending.

You can watch the ending in WinAPE by using the debugger (press F7) and setting the program counter (PC) to 3868.

EDIT: Thanks to @Retrodanuart for pointing out that I mixed up the YouTube videos above. I have fixed this now.

Nich

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:14, 21 October 17
It's amazing. I started this thread on Feb 2011 but the people in this community are so great one must never lose hope :)

Indeed. We have managed to provide an (almost) complete translation of the game within 3 weeks! :o

Retrodanuart

@Nich, the tagged names for the videos on your post are swapped, the first one is Retrodanuart, the second one is from Metro81 :)

Nich

Quote from: Retrodanuart on 19:31, 21 October 17
@Nich, the tagged names for the videos on your post are swapped, the first one is Retrodanuart, the second one is from Metro81 :)

I've fixed this now. :)

Nich

Quote from: khaz on 00:57, 21 October 17
Now if anyone is able to change the title in the loading screen, and the "Dia" in the user interface, that would be awesome. And also how to put them back in the code, because I have no idea where the data is lol

The graphics for the user interface are stored at &6328 in bank &C7. I'm afraid I don't really have the artistic talent to try to change 'Dia' to 'Day', though. :(

As for the loading screen - should we change the title to The Abbey of Crime? I think its original name is so well known in the CPC community that there isn't really any benefit in changing it.

Gryzor

Maybe an English title with the original below it?

khaz

Quote from: Nich on 19:22, 21 October 17
You can watch the ending in WinAPE by using the debugger (press F7) and setting the program counter (PC) to 3868.

Thanks, that showed me that although I planned better paragraph / page delimitations, I forgot to actually put it in the final text. This will go in the next revision.

And there's a stray ellipsis too. I must have been tired that day.

And the E doesn't show up either. That one is strange, it showed up in the intro tests. I guess I'll really have to move more pointers to put it with the other glyphs.

[edit]ok, the E shows up if I do the F7 thing during the intro scroll, but not if I do it during gameplay. What does it mean for a normal playthrough?

khaz

Right. I moved the E back with its kind, moved the whole intro and its pointer, took care of that stray ellipsis, added that one newline at the beginning of the text like I always intended, and also removed a couple of end-of-page hyphens that were annoying to the reader.

When I say I need beta-testers, I'm not lying lol

Sykobee (Briggsy)

The Abbey of Crime is a bit clumsy in English. Probably best to keep it as it is.

Crime Abbey is a bit 'modern'. CRIME ABBEY 2049.

"The Abbey" is nice and vague, like a danish television drama.

The Dia -> Day thing probably needs the 'D' moving left a bit to free up a few pixels (as y is wider than i), moving the 'a' next to it, and only requires a new 'y'.

khaz

I've been given a few suggestions regarding the wording of the dialogues and the scroll. I'm in the process of integrating them, but If you have more, keep them coming!

I'll post a better version soon. And still hopeful for volunteers to help with the graphics.

Gryzor

I was given the following info on twitter; see the whole discussion :)

https://twitter.com/VigasocoSDL/status/923889047679971328

PS I don't know about you guys, but I love the new embedding system...

khaz

all right all right!

I'll try to upload an updated version tonight.

(I want graphics 😭 )

Gryzor

robcfg

Which graphics are needed?

I'd like to give them a try during the weekend.

khaz

Quote from: robcfg on 15:39, 27 October 17
Which graphics are needed?

I'd like to give them a try during the weekend.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

My amazing photoshop skills got me as far as having Le abbe el crime as the title hahaha

khaz

NOTE TO THE NEWS REPORTERS LURKING AROUND: THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS.
I would appreciate very much if you wrote it as such. If you only want to report the finished work, especially has I plan several more test releases over the next week, I will make a new thread in /Games with the final dsk and a nice paragraph explaining the changes. So watch that space.

-----

I've reworded some dialogues based on suggestions I received. Not all of them have been implemented as I'm limited in the number of words I can use.
You can find all the lines of dialogues in this google document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VS1Q5TymS36JLf42WNkapHJs57T81C4IciwGeM9SryM/edit?usp=sharing
WARNING It's super spoilery. If you'd rather discover them in-game, please do so (And I'd love a feedback on that).
If you have suggestions, you can add them on the document, or post them here, or message me. If you edit the document, message me so I can review them and discuss them with you.

I've corrected a few typos in the scrolls. I'm not super satisfied on the words placements, and in my opinion the space between words is a couple pixels too wide. I would like to experiment with the space width, but I can't find where it's defined in the code. If someone has an idea?

In the mean time, enjoy this.

Nich

Quote from: khaz on 15:48, 27 October 17
[attachimg=2]

I wonder if we could fit a CPCWiki logo in there somewhere, like we did with the awesome Zynaps CPCWiki version?

Nich

Quote from: khaz on 19:26, 27 October 17
I'm not super satisfied on the words placements, and in my opinion the space between words is a couple pixels too wide. I would like to experiment with the space width, but I can't find where it's defined in the code. If someone has an idea?

The byte at &6754 in bank &C0 controls the space width (it's &0A by default). I think setting it to &08 works well.

khaz

Quote from: Nich on 21:34, 27 October 17
The byte at &6754 in bank &C0 controls the space width (it's &0A by default). I think setting it to &08 works well.

Thanks! yep, I couldn't have found it myself. 08 is a good value indeed, that or maybe 07. I'm checking what it means for the word wrap and hyphenation of both texts, but it's already much more pleasant to read.

I'm considering changing some glyphs slightly, specifically the last pixel that indicates their width. Some letters are close together, while others have a one pixel space before the next one. And it seems random. Will experiment.

I also changed NONE to NONES because I don't know why I thought it was written without an S. It's spelled with one everywhere in the book.

both these change (and probably more) will be in the next update.

Nich

Quote from: khaz on 23:15, 27 October 17
I also changed NONE to NONES because I don't know why I thought it was written without an S. It's spelled with one everywhere in the book.

Most references to canonical hours that I have found on the web spell it 'none', but I didn't know at the time that The Name of the Rose used 'nones'.

Nich

Quote from: Nich on 21:27, 27 October 17
I wonder if we could fit a CPCWiki logo in there somewhere, like we did with the awesome Zynaps CPCWiki version?

Well, I'm certainly not an amazing pixel artist, but I came up with this modified title screen (which took me several hours to perfect!):

[attachimg=1]

What does everyone think? Personally, I'm pretty satisfied with it. I've tried to keep the positioning of the various parts of the title faithful to the original screen.

My only complaint is that the tail on the letter 'y' doesn't look quite right. I've based it on the descenders of the letters 'c' and 'e'.

Nich

And here's my attempt at modifying the status bar:

[attachimg=1]

I've managed to squeeze the width of the letters 'D' and 'a' while mostly retaining their original shape. I'm pretty pleased with this effort as well. :)

robcfg

@Nich ,

You did a fine work with the pictures!

I love the CPCWiki logo under the Opera one  ;)

Nich

Quote from: robcfg on 19:55, 28 October 17
I love the CPCWiki logo under the Opera one  ;)

I took that logo from the overscan title screen of the CPCWiki enhanced version of Zynaps. ;)