News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Mario Bros (2023)

Started by Jean-Marie, 07:09, 07 September 23

Previous topic - Next topic

OneVision

Quote from: sigh on 14:49, 07 September 23That Mario sprite is fantastic. :)

Nice and smooth game - well done!
Coming from you Sigh, you made my day. Thanks a lot !

trocoloco

as I imagine it is a 64k version, is there a CDT version available?

Jean-Marie

Quote from: trocoloco on 15:44, 07 September 23as I imagine it is a 64k version, is there a CDT version available?

Not yet. I'll try to make one.

Jean-Marie

I've made a WAV file, using Caprice64. I know there's a way to convert it to CDT, but that's beyond my knowledge. :-[

VincentGR

Jean-Marie

Woah, thanks. That was fast  :o

VincentGR

It took me ten minutes to load for testing  ;D

overange

The GX4000 version is sweet :)

Well done, and amazing to see these remakes :)
Current Usable Collection = 800XL / XE Remake / 1100 Drive / Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k ( Rubber Key ) / Sinclair ZX Spectrum Harliquin 128k ( Rubber Key ) / Amstrad CPC6128 Plus / Amstrad GX4000 / Sega Master System / Sega Mega Drive / Nintendo DMG-01 Gameboy / Amiga CD32 / AMSTRAD MEGAPC 386SX and possibly the UKs largest Collection of Competition Pro Joysticks, so far 40 different variations and always looking for more

Nich

Quote from: norecess464 on 14:04, 07 September 23Well, they did not "sell the license to Ocean", they (Nintendo) asked Ocean in 1987 to make a conversion of their game to 8-bit computers. I don't know how it applies nowadays, but what I know, is that Mario license is still strong & popular, while Ocean is dead.  ;)

Again, it's probably me being too cautious here.
The ZX Spectrum version of Mario Bros. can still be downloaded from Spectrum Computing (and before that, World of Spectrum). My memories are vague, but I recall a long time ago that the IDSA demanded that WoS remove several games from their archive, one of which was Mario Bros., and Martijn van der Heide (the WoS administrator) declined on the grounds that it was an Ocean game rather than a Nintendo game - and both Martijn and Spectrum Computing were/are usually very compliant with regard to removing downloads of games due to copyright issues.

Nich

Quote from: Jean-Marie on 10:22, 08 September 23I've made a WAV file, using Caprice64. I know there's a way to convert it to CDT, but that's beyond my knowledge. :-[
CSW2CDT is my tool of choice for converting WAV files to CDT cassette images.

Jean-Marie

Quote from: Nich on 11:10, 09 September 23
Quote from: norecess464 on 14:04, 07 September 23Well, they did not "sell the license to Ocean", they (Nintendo) asked Ocean in 1987 to make a conversion of their game to 8-bit computers. I don't know how it applies nowadays, but what I know, is that Mario license is still strong & popular, while Ocean is dead.  ;)

Again, it's probably me being too cautious here.
The ZX Spectrum version of Mario Bros. can still be downloaded from Spectrum Computing (and before that, World of Spectrum). My memories are vague, but I recall a long time ago that the IDSA demanded that WoS remove several games from their archive, one of which was Mario Bros., and Martijn van der Heide (the WoS administrator) declined on the grounds that it was an Ocean game rather than a Nintendo game - and both Martijn and Spectrum Computing were/are usually very compliant with regard to removing downloads of games due to copyright issues.
Interesting! If we follow their logic, we should remove Donkey Kong from all databases (including yours!), since it's a Nintendo game too. Sometimes, they use bluff and one just needs to answer "No".
Besides, it is true that the Ocean company is long dead, but there are still right-holders. And if they grant us the right to modify their piece of software (especially since we make no commercial usage of it), that should silence them.
In our case, that would remain complicated, because we use the music from the NES, and sprites from the SNES. I guess it depends on how the contract was worded at the time...

Jean-Marie

I've just worked out a fast-loading tape version, using "monoblocks". It loads in 2 mins 20s.

poulette73

I confirm ! I just tested this CDT version.

Loading is amazing !

Nice work Jean-Marie.  :)

Shaun M. Neary

Enjoying this. I liked the Mario Bros bonus games in Super Mario Bros 3 back in the heyday.

Ocean made a balls up of the original as opposed to the awesome Donkey Kong.
Well done to all involved!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

overange

Quote from: overange on 14:11, 08 September 23The GX4000 version is sweet :)

Well done, and amazing to see these remakes :)
Here it is running on the GX4000 and me trying to play it one handed  :D

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Is8aoak8L-c

Current Usable Collection = 800XL / XE Remake / 1100 Drive / Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k ( Rubber Key ) / Sinclair ZX Spectrum Harliquin 128k ( Rubber Key ) / Amstrad CPC6128 Plus / Amstrad GX4000 / Sega Master System / Sega Mega Drive / Nintendo DMG-01 Gameboy / Amiga CD32 / AMSTRAD MEGAPC 386SX and possibly the UKs largest Collection of Competition Pro Joysticks, so far 40 different variations and always looking for more

Mr. DVG

Hi everyone! 

I had some free time tonight and I tried to run this fantastic remake on the original machine (I use an M4 card to load the games), but unfortunately it crashes after the first screen...  ::)

Am I the only one experiencing this problem? 

Thanks for any answers/advice! :-*

GUNHED

It's still your PSU, just delivers too few Volts.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

OneVision

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 02:17, 16 September 23Hi everyone!

I had some free time tonight and I tried to run this fantastic remake on the original machine (I use an M4 card to load the games), but unfortunately it crashes after the first screen...  ::)

Mine plays OK on M4 too.

OneVision

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 02:17, 16 September 23Hi everyone!

My apologies, I have the same problem as you have Mr. DVG : just after the title screen and the "It's a-me, Mario !" the CPC resets.

Flashing the CPR from this thread with the command ùCTRUP,"[name].cpr" works just fine though.

I've made Jean Marie aware of the problem for the DSK version.

Mr. DVG

QuoteMy apologies, I have the same problem as you have Mr. DVG : just after the title screen and the "It's a-me, Mario !" the CPC resets.
Flashing the CPR from this thread with the command ùCTRUP,"[name].cpr" works just fine though.

I've made Jean Marie aware of the problem for the DSK version.

Thank you for your interest!

It would be great to have a working .dsk version, unfortunately the limitation of the M4 is that you can only flash one game at a time and at the moment the slot is occupied by another game which unfortunately does not have the .dsk format. :-\

I stay tuned to this channel to find out if there will be future developments regarding this update!

Thanks again! :-*

coin

My son ask me why we can't play yet this amazing game to  GX4000? I told him that his father is not so smart  :doh: to convert it to .gpr  If somebody shoud help the father with a download link, really appreciate

SkulleateR

Quote from: coin on 01:32, 26 November 23My son ask me why we can't play yet this amazing game to  GX4000? I told him that his father is not so smart  :doh: to convert it to .gpr  If somebody shoud help the father with a download link, really appreciate
If you mean .cpr (not .gpr) just have a look at post #3 in this thread ;)

coin

Quote from: SkulleateR on 01:57, 26 November 23
Quote from: coin on 01:32, 26 November 23My son ask me why we can't play yet this amazing game to  GX4000? I told him that his father is not so smart  :doh: to convert it to .gpr  If somebody shoud help the father with a download link, really appreciate
If you mean .cpr (not .gpr) just have a look at post #3 in this thread ;)
Happy father&family, thank you for giving us glasses :o