News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

More bias on Retro Gamer...

Started by Gryzor, 07:12, 30 April 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Quote from: Darran Lee Jones on 14:39, 21 May 15
See that's why this is a waste of time. You're convinced you're right and if there's one thing I've learned. You can never win an argument with a disgruntled fanboy.

I love the Amstrad, I always will. If you genuinely think I have some bizarro scheme to discredit the Amstrad because some screenshots weren't taken for your favourite console in a one-off article once then that is up to you.

I won't be adding anything else here as it's clear you have no interest in listening to me and want to continue spinning your anti RG propaganda.

As you were my cpc loving comrade.

So, I guess the fact that you don't convince me (or others) means I'm a "disgruntled fanboy". I guess you're used to everyone becoming 'convinced' once you've uttered your excuses[nb]this was the second time I complained about lack of CPC coverage in screen shots. The excuse was the exact same both times, and both times you acknowledged there should be more. How come the same mistake never happens with the Spectrum shots, I don't know. And naturally it wasn't a "one-off", and that article was just so blatantly obvious, but of course you choose to cherry-pick on criticism[/nb]. Jawohl mein Kommandant! But, mein Kommandant, allow me to say it's utterly ridiculous to spin the criticism into claiming "a bizarro scheme" (sign of how you interpret criticism - "if they're not with us they're out to get us"). The anti-CPC bias doesn't necessarily mean you actively discredit the CPC, but foremost that the CPC suffers in favour of the other platform(s) disproportionately.

@chinnyhill10 : well, there's the GX :D

dcdrac

I have noticed in general most vitriol directed towards the CPC is mostly aimed at Alan Sugar and not the machine itself.

Gryzor

No love lost for Sir Alan; I don't think anyone would mind that, though I don't remember the last time I read a comment about him.

dcdrac

The Independent newspaper had an article about him and the CPC last year most of the hostile comments did not address themselves to the CPC at all and I have noticed that in other forums as well.

Most people just say it was rubbish and never go into why, they just say something like the Spectrum was better, which is patently daft, I guess the CPC is reserved for some sort of unfounded hatred.

Gryzor

I won't go into that. But I never got why Sugar got the rap all by himself, whereas Sinclair is so loved. We're talking about a mad scientist who, romantic as it is, invented a couple of lovely things including the ZX series, lots of crap and ultimately drove his company into the ground, unable to keep up with times or run a business.

dcdrac

I am less kind to Clive Sinclair, the actual tech was not that great and other people designed and invented it, what he was good at was cutting corners and making it cheaper, until Alan Sugar hoved into view he too did the same but made a better product.

Gryzor

Couldn't agree more, but Sinclair did have the vision earlier; if it wasn't for him it's not certain Sugar would have caught on to the home computing market (I think he would, but Sinclair was a catalyst). And Sinclair did other stuff too, like the calculators or the mini TVs (then again so did Sugar).

dcdrac

I would say Atari were ahead of Sinclair, the calculators texas Instruments were ahead of him too, the mini tvs I cannot say, I recall seeing a Sinclair one, once a long time ago.

Gryzor

Yeah, but Atari was much more expensive. I can't speak for the success of the calculators or the mini TVs, but from what I understand they were inspirational.

And of course both the MK14 and the ZX were invented by others, but it *was* his company that was the enabler.

Speaking of companies, I seem to remember Sinclair was not the first one he ran into the ground, Radionics shared a similar fate :D

But oh, where would we be without the C5!

dcdrac

At the same time the QL was rushed out, if Sinclair had not not interfered with its development it might have been a far better machine than it was.

Gryzor

I love my QL. What a lovely piece of crap!

dcdrac

the Ql could have been so good, alas...

Darran Lee Jones

Quote from: dcdrac on 16:33, 21 May 15
Most people just say it was rubbish and never go into why, they just say something like the Spectrum was better, which is patently daft, I guess the CPC is reserved for some sort of unfounded hatred.
People hate what they don't understand. It's highly likely that the people who have written that have never played on a CPC for any length of time. Also people are incredibly protective about their first home computer, so if the first machine you ever owned was a Spectrum as far as you're concerned it was the bestest thing in the world and always will be.

A lot of that even continues to this day. Go on the Retro Gamer forum and you'll see plenty of men in their 30-50 arguing over which 8-bit computer was best. It may well happen here but I've not checked other threads. History has shown us that all three systems (Amstrad, C64 and Spectrum) excellent in certain areas over their peers, but you'll rarely hear an owner of said machine admit that. It crazy, it's silly, but it's not going to change.

fatbob

A lot of people were "Ahead of Sinclair" but what Sinclair did was release affordable computers.

The was no way that I could afford Commodore or Atari in 1981 but I could afford a ZX81 then a Spectrum.

dcdrac

Quote from: Darran Lee Jones on 17:24, 21 May 15
People hate what they don't understand. It's highly likely that the people who have written that have never played on a CPC for any length of time. Also people are incredibly protective about their first home computer, so if the first machine you ever owned was a Spectrum as far as you're concerned it was the bestest thing in the world and always will be.

A lot of that even continues to this day. Go on the Retro Gamer forum and you'll see plenty of men in their 30-50 arguing over which 8-bit computer was best. It may well happen here but I've not checked other threads. History has shown us that all three systems (Amstrad, C64 and Spectrum) excellent in certain areas over their peers, but you'll rarely hear an owner of said machine admit that. It crazy, it's silly, but it's not going to change.

oh I know sadly, I work in IT support to this day and I know there is no real technical difference between an Apple computer and non Apple computers hardware, have both work on both daily,  you try telling people that and they look at you like you are some kind of nutcase, I love OSX, Linux and Unix and windows 7, Windows 10 looks promising.

dcdrac

In my opinion the CPC 6128 succeeded in doing what the QL was designed to do and failed to do.

dcdrac

Darren

A nice article might be about the new cartridge that has been developed and now shipped that allows GX4000 and Plus machine owners to have al the carts released on one, it is a brilliant piece of kit works really well, for the GX4000 itself you need a more hefty power supply than the original Amstrad one.

dcdrac

AMSDOS

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 12:37, 21 May 15

That's one thing I will give Hewson, with the exception of Deliverance (I think but I never had it), all their games were single loaders.

Deliverance came on one of those later AA covertapes when they were still supplying the Plastic Boxes I think, but I can't remember if it came before or after Nebulus since I have no conveniently misplaced my AA notes.  :o
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Darran Lee Jones

Quote from: dcdrac on 19:10, 21 May 15
Darren

A nice article might be about the new cartridge that has been developed and now shipped that allows GX4000 and Plus machine owners to have al the carts released on one, it is a brilliant piece of kit works really well, for the GX4000 itself you need a more hefty power supply than the original Amstrad one.
Hmm, I'll make sure it's added to the GX4000 article that's currently being worked on. Oh and it's Darran, not Darren. It's welsh, but please don't hold that against me ;P

CraigsBar

Quote from: Darran Lee Jones on 09:05, 22 May 15
Hmm, I'll make sure it's added to the GX4000 article that's currently being worked on. Oh and it's Darran, not Darren. It's welsh, but please don't hold that against me ;P
no, well only in years that Wales beat England in the 6 nations ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Gryzor

Studied in Cardiff. Love Wales. Even the old lady at the till at the dormitory shop who would only talk to us in Welsh :D

Gryzor

Ok, for the record, here's Hewson's quote. It was a reply to a reader's question:

crusto: Which 8-bit system did you enjoyworking with most?
Hewson: I had fun with the ZX80 and more particularly the ZX81, but they were both soon superseded. I liked the simplicity of the ZX Spectrum but enjoyed the greater sophistication of the C64. I always felt the Amstrad CPC was a bit soulless. The BBC machine annoyed me in a vague sort of way because I felt the dead hand of television moguls hovering behind it.

Bryce

A single one-sided opinion from one person. Why are you getting all worked up about it? Who is Hewson anyway? I've never heard of him.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Who is Hewson? Let's see... Hewson - CPCWiki

Nobody's being worked up about his view, he's entitled to it and that's it. The issue is with that quote being put right on the cover[nb]Admittedly, putting a quote like "BBC: The Dead Hand of TV Moguls" on the cover doesn't quite sound that nice[/nb].