News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

More bias on Retro Gamer...

Started by Gryzor, 07:12, 30 April 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Ok read the page, some guy who had a company and they wrote a few games for the CPC. So his opinion is somehow more important than anyone elses? Why does it matter? It's still just one persons opinion.

I also noticed that from the 30 odd games his company wrote, we only have Wiki pages about two of them, so obviously our opinion of him/his company isn't all that high either.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

I am staying out of this one. I like the mag, and enjoy the multi  format content. OK perhaps a CPC screenshot or 2 was missing in the driller article. But on the whole does this really matter? I thought we had all grown up to a point we could appreciate the various retro and 8bit systems for their individual talents and strengths. The text in the driller article, stating where it was developed was far more important than a few screenshots or a tag-line on the cover.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Gryzor

@Bryce : again, it's not about what he said. (and, actually, it's a shame we don't have more pages on Hewson's titles; certainly their CPC hits/classics were many more than the two).

@CraigsBar : I appreciate what you say, but it still doesn't answer to what has been actually said. It's not, of course, about those "2 screenshots" or about that one tag-line. Alas, if only. It's *precisely* because we have grown up and appreciate ALL the various old systems for their individual strengths.

I removed one post because, come on people, no need for personal debates. Although I admit I was a bit quick in deleting it instead of editing it, so feel free to re-post - but *please* no finger-pointing.

dcdrac

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 22:45, 22 May 15
I removed one post because, come on people, no need for personal debates. Although I admit I was a bit quick in deleting it instead of editing it, so feel free to re-post - but *please* no finger-pointing.

and with that I hereby blame the English Language for creating confusion.  :D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Puresox

Hewson , produced some great titles for the Amstrad, IMO. One of my favourite publishers.

zeropolis79

All the Hewson games I had were curtesy of AA covertapes! I had Cybernoid and Stormlord on their own..

AMSDOS

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 18:16, 23 May 15
All the Hewson games I had were curtesy of AA covertapes! I had Cybernoid and Stormlord on their own..

I think when they were leading up AA100 and beyond the covertapes were:

AA98 - The Blues Brothers
AA99 - Stormlord
AA100 - Elite
AA101 - Exolon
AA102 - Cybernoid 2
AA103 - Nebulus?
AA104 - Deliverance?
AA105 - Uridium?

Magazine Covers will give it away which I'm about to Check, yes so I had Nebulus correct, but Deliverance came after Uridium with AA105,

AA106 - Zynaps
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

Maybe open a new thread about Hewson?

TMR

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:37, 21 May 15
But I never got why Sugar got the rap all by himself, whereas Sinclair is so loved. We're talking about a mad scientist who, romantic as it is, invented a couple of lovely things including the ZX series, lots of crap and ultimately drove his company into the ground, unable to keep up with times or run a business.

Sinclair was and come to think of it is almost the definition of an eccentric inventer; he had as many misses as he did hits yes but, generally speaking at least, people don't tend to hold that against folks like him even when things don't work out in part because they love to cheer on an underdog. And in the UK particularly we feckin' love an eccentric, you only have to look at Boris Johnson for example because there's no other reason to explain his popularity! =-)

Sugar didn't have that going for him, he was an already successful businessman when Amstrad moved into home computing and i think that, on the whole, people tend to be less trusting of successful businesspeople; we seem to like our heroes flawed.

Puresox

Boris Johnson has a personality. And is not a sterile nonentity , which is prevalent in modern Britain. Not that I give much of a cotton pickin' F.. about him really. :D

Gryzor

Yeah, I think you're right, TMR; plus he cut a rather dashing figure, whereas Sugar was always nothing much to look at :D (let's see who posts the stripper photo this time)

remax

Quote from: TMR on 12:50, 25 May 15
Sinclair was and come to think of it is almost the definition of an eccentric inventer; he had as many misses as he did hits yes but, generally speaking at least, people don't tend to hold that against folks like him even when things don't work out in part because they love to cheer on an underdog. And in the UK particularly we feckin' love an eccentric, you only have to look at Boris Johnson for example because there's no other reason to explain his popularity! =-)

Sugar didn't have that going for him, he was an already successful businessman when Amstrad moved into home computing and i think that, on the whole, people tend to be less trusting of successful businesspeople; we seem to like our heroes flawed.

I think people prefering underdogs to already succesful peoples is a reality everywhere. And then you here people saying "We are the only country where people are against success".
Brain Radioactivity

Dizrythmia

To be honest, I haven't read Retro Gamer for over 2 years now. I still buy the magazine each month, but each issue gets stacked on top of a pile of, still unread, issues.

I never noticed much CPC bias. There are certain freelancers who mention it & others who don't even acknowledge it, even when their article would benefit from talking about it. That always annoyed me. Maybe it's changed in the past couple of years. I do intend on starting to read through that pile in the near future...

Gryzor

Necromancing this because, while reading the popcorn-worthy thread about RetroLaird over at AtariAge I came upon this gem (https://atariage.com/forums/topic/300891-the-review-of-a-z-of-atari-st-games-volume-3-book-retrolaird-is-trying-to-delete/?do=findComment&comment=4453250):

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:To quote Star Trek. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
DreamcastRIP is by far the worst offender we have on the forum, followed by Halcyon Daze and The Laird (in terms of the complaints I get about them). When you get people directly leaving because of what an individual is saying to them you have to do something about it. If we had acted a little sooner and been heavier with the banning then maybe it wouldn't come as such a shock to people now, but I have a magazine to make first and foremost and that's my priority. The Nintendo thread was set up because people like DreamcastRIP constantly derailed any thread to do with them. If this was happening with other systems those same things would apply. The fact of the matter is, if you all start acting like children you'll be treated like children and we'll take things away from you. I could have done a blanket ban on Halcyon Daze and The Laird (I'f certainly mentioned the latter's behavior to him) but they were wise enough to keep quiet when the post went done. DreamcastRIP wasn't so he was dealt with. I'm tired of people bullying others with their beliefs and then trying to hide behind the I have a right to state my opinion speech that I constantly get.

(emphasis mine)

Rrright. See what happens if you say something against Nintendo? :D

And another one:
QuoteIf you don't like Nintendo then stay out of the threads and stop winding people up.
- which is a totally correct thing to say, after all a magazine cover is not a forum thread :D

skylas

As from my experience, you can see the dialogue when i tried to inform about my new game amd website, and the link was deleted.

https://forum.retrogamer.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55995&sid=25fd5e8dfadfbdf4ff1b6cfe80e867de
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE 1 and 2!

mr_lou

Quote from: skylas on 02:02, 30 June 20
As from my experience, you can see the dialogue when i tried to inform about my new game and website, and the link was deleted.

I see you went through the same as me. I've done the same "mistake", only with my music instead of games.
Like you, I figure retro gamedevs must be interested in hearing about new music, so I post on many different chatrooms when I've made a new track.
It's free for gamedevs who makes free games, and I find it very relevant to the gamedev-related chats I post to.
And most places I always get a "Cool" or "Nice!" feedback, but occasionally you will run into people who in my opinion really shouldn't be moderating such chatrooms.

It's true though that I'm not active on those places. I simply don't have the time to be active everywhere. But in my (apparently twisted) view, I am contributing by sharing/offering free music in formats that is usable on those platforms. Guess not.

Nothing to do about it but leave of course, and stick to the friendly places, of which there are many of, fortunately.

skylas

Quote from: mr_lou on 05:09, 30 June 20
I see you went through the same as me. I've done the same "mistake", only with my music instead of games.
Like you, I figure retro gamedevs must be interested in hearing about new music, so I post on many different chatrooms when I've made a new track.
It's free for gamedevs who makes free games, and I find it very relevant to the gamedev-related chats I post to.
And most places I always get a "Cool" or "Nice!" feedback, but occasionally you will run into people who in my opinion really shouldn't be moderating such chatrooms.

It's true though that I'm not active on those places. I simply don't have the time to be active everywhere. But in my (apparently twisted) view, I am contributing by sharing/offering free music in formats that is usable on those platforms. Guess not.

Nothing to do about it but leave of course, and stick to the friendly places, of which there are many of, fortunately.
I totally agree. When you spend time to create something that you will offer free to all, you cant have time to chat and answer in every forum or group you want to share your program.And i believe that taking part in a conversation or a forum cannot be something <obligatory>.

Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE 1 and 2!

dthrone

Quote from: skylas on 10:16, 30 June 20
I totally agree. When you spend time to create something that you will offer free to all, you cant have time to chat and answer in every forum or group you want to share your program.And i believe that taking part in a conversation or a forum cannot be something <obligatory>.

It also seems a very unfair policy towards lurkers!  :o