News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

My review of Xyphoe's Nighmare (New homebrew)

Started by JimmyChan2022, 16:34, 08 March 22

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyChan2022

A sequel of sorts to Bugs Quest For Tapes, which was released last year, Xyphoe's Nighmare is a single screen platform jump and collect marathon. Its certainly a hard game that relies on good timing and learning the pattern, but it does provide a challenge which I found rewarding as the game only offers 1 life. A trainer mode allows you to practice to your hearts content with a load of lifes, before you attempt the main game.

Visually its a step up from Bugs Quest and I feel its good enough to have been a commercial release. The graphics are a vast improvement, very detailed and great use of the cpc's color which outshines what a Spectrum or C64 could do. Even the water is now animated over Bugs Quest which is a nice touch. The sprites all look nice and animate well and have a sense of humor to them, with one being a C64 and another Dizzy. The music is also note worthy and adds to the overall package, showcasing why the 464 had much potential had it been programed right. No lazy Spectrum port here.

8.5/10