News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Soccer game

Started by XeNoMoRPH, 20:00, 28 May 19

Previous topic - Next topic

Nich

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 15:33, 13 September 19
https://twitter.com/voxeltower/status/1172516695308722176

Is it just me, or is anyone else unable to view the videos/animated GIFs embedded in these tweets? I see a screenshot of the game very briefly but the viewing area then goes black. This happens to me in both Firefox 69 and Internet Explorer 11.

VincentGR

Can't see them on win7, on 10 is fine.

vasilisk

I see them on XP in chrome49 ;D

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

luckpro

Hi people, can someone help me?

I currently have the scoreboard of CPC Soccer at 0x0200 to 0x0700 video memory and it works perfectly, no problem.

But for memory adjustments i would be interested in moving it to memory 0xB400 to 0xB900, but I cannot get adjust R12/R13 correct so that it accesses the 0xB400 position.

I think the problem is that i set the R9 to 0 and the calculations are different.

I don't know exactly how to calculate it. Someone can help me?

Thanks in advance.

Rhino

Quote from: luckpro on 11:56, 26 November 19
Hi people, can someone help me?

I currently have the scoreboard of CPC Soccer at 0x0200 to 0x0700 video memory and it works perfectly, no problem.

But for memory adjustments i would be interested in moving it to memory 0xB400 to 0xB900, but I cannot get adjust R12/R13 correct so that it accesses the 0xB400 position.

I think the problem is that i set the R9 to 0 and the calculations are different.

I don't know exactly how to calculate it. Someone can help me?

Thanks in advance.
Hi!
There is a limit of 2048 bytes for the video offset in R12/13, so the screen cannot start at 0xB400, in the third page it could start at #8000 + #7fe as maximum. However, it could be done with advanced hard techniques, but I don't think using RVI to reorganize memory is good practice.

luckpro

Ok, I understand, I will try to organize it in some other way. by the way, what is RVI? :-)

XeNoMoRPH

XeNoMoRPH

jesusdelmas

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 09:06, 21 January 20

https://youtu.be/LxyWo2i7tWg

Realy good!!, but it is me or the game sreen shakes and change its shape?

Anyway it looks realy fast, cant wait to see more updates :)

roudoudou

Quote from: jesusdelmas on 20:26, 21 January 20
Realy good!!, but it is me or the game sreen shakes and change its shape?
Anyway it looks realy fast, cant wait to see more updates :)
probably an hardware scroll using R3 registerwhen doign this, it's better to draw a black column to the left or to the right, regarding the R3 valueyou may try in basic 1.1

10 FRAME:OUT &BC00,3 : OUT &BD00,&F6:FRAME:OUT &BC00,3 : OUT &BD00,&F5:GOTO 10

My pronouns are RASM and ACE

luckpro

Quote from: roudoudou on 20:29, 21 January 20
probably an hardware scroll using R3 registerwhen doign this, it's better to draw a black column to the left or to the right, regarding the R3 valueyou may try in basic 1.1

10 FRAME:OUT &BC00,3 : OUT &BD00,&F6:FRAME:OUT &BC00,3 : OUT &BD00,&F5:GOTO 10

You are right. Use R3 to move 4 pixels (mode 1) in horizontal push scroll and therefore the window shakes. I tried to move it fast so it doesn't bother.

When I'm playing, it doesn't bother me, but I understand that everyone won't like it. For this reason I will add in the menu an option to deactivate the use of R3, although the scroll will become 8 pixels horizontally, a little more abruptly.

Thanks for the comments, they will help me do better.

roudoudou

Quote from: luckpro on 07:53, 22 January 20
When I'm playing, it doesn't bother me, but I understand that everyone won't like it. For this reason I will add in the menu an option to deactivate the use of R3, although the scroll will become 8 pixels horizontally, a little more abruptly.
That's a great option to disable R3 because not all modern TV or VGA-converter may handle the R3 shift!
You do not have any CPU time left to draw two columns? Not so optimized code will take approx 2000 nops, if you have the time!

TotO

Quote from: roudoudou on 08:42, 22 January 20
That's a great option to disable R3 because not all modern TV or VGA-converter may handle the R3 shift!
I'm shared about this point of view... Programming CPC things for low-cost TV / converters (I have seen R3 working on a highend Toshiba Regza TV set with Relentless) instead of for the CPC capabilities. The same like programers fix their code to works on emulators... Walking on the head. Into the other hand, most users today run on emulators with R3 suport or watch youtube emulators video.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

roudoudou

optionnal behaviour, not mandatory!

TotO

Quote from: roudoudou on 09:01, 22 January 20
optionnal behaviour, not mandatory!
My post goes over that game feature:
Not sure that developers will program two scrolling code for their smooth games/demo, because thinking about modern display instead of CPC.

By the way, I love this soccer project. I follow it since years, it is a really ambicious game developped for our lovely computer!  :-*
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

luckpro

Quote from: roudoudou on 08:42, 22 January 20
You do not have any CPU time left to draw two columns? Not so optimized code will take approx 2000 nops, if you have the time!

Ok, I take note.

I had already thought about the two black columns, but using R12 / R13 scroll it might not be as fast to draw them as we have to calculate the exact place where they should be drawn bytes. In any case I will try to do it.

Thanks for the advice.

roudoudou

Quote from: TotO on 09:43, 22 January 20
Not sure that developers will program two scrolling code for their smooth games/demo, because thinking about modern display instead of CPC.
that's what he said  ;D -> "For this reason I will add in the menu an option to deactivate the use of R3"

roudoudou

Quote from: luckpro on 10:36, 22 January 20
I had already thought about the two black columns, but using R12 / R13 scroll it might not be as fast to draw them as we have to calculate the exact place where they should be drawn bytes. In any case I will try to do it.
Are you aware of gray coding? Instead of run over #000, #800, #1000,#18000, ...  you change only one bit
; 000    ; 0
; 001    ; 1
; 011    ; 3
; 010    ; 2
; 110    ; 6
; 111    ; 7
; 101    ; 5
; 100    ; 4

So RAZ a char and go to next line become something like this

ld b,nbchar
ld de,screen_width-#2800
reloop:
ld (hl),a : set 3,h
ld (hl),a : set 4,h
ld (hl),a : res 3,h
ld (hl),a : set 5,h
ld (hl),a : set 3,h
ld (hl),a : res 4,h
ld (hl),a : add hl,de : res 3,h
djnz reloop

luckpro

Thanks roudoudou, I didn't know that trick.

I have tried it in the game and it works perfectly, but unfortunately I cannot apply it because normally the tiles are drawn while the raster is in the middle of the screen approximately (it depends on how charge the game goes).

I have tried to draw sprites, ball and tiles outside the window but it does not give time, and I prefer to draw the ball and sprites outside so that they do not blink.

If I had known this trick before maybe I could have applied it better.

In any case, thank you very much for the advice. I have already added the option to enable / disable the use of R3.

sigh

XeNoMoRPH

Gryzor

"CPC CUP" :D

Perhaps we should sponsor it so it becomes the CPCWiki cup?

luckpro

I am open to everything. How much do they pay?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gryzor

Depends on TV ratings I guess 😄