News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
T

Rick Dangerous

Started by Tim, 18:38, 19 January 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

Hi guys,

Did Rick Dangerous ever come out on disk?

I am desperate for this game, used to love it.

MacDeath

Lazy Dude

Why start a new thread when an old one will do!
So I come across an article in AA60 page 60, and in it it says Firebird did a rerelease version with the ability to select what level to start from....... yes please!
Erm anyone have the slightest clue about this revelation?

Shaun M. Neary

I've never seen it. I had the bleepload version as well as one from a compilation that had a different loader. Neither had selectable levels.

I've seen it written in a couple of blogs since, probably all got from the same RD2 preview article in the aforementioned AA60.

Personally I think it was AA talking out of their arse again. It wouldn't be the first time in fairness, and don't get me started on how long they dragged Street Fighter II out for the sake of having something to print.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Lazy Dude

Huh, bummer. Maybe I should write to them and make a complaint!
Actually surprised there hasn't been a level hack posted up through the intervening years...

Widukind

Quote from: Lazy Dude on 17:31, 24 May 18
Why start a new thread when an old one will do!
Indeed. :-)

amijim

I would still like to remind that we need a cpr version for c4cpc catridge of rick and dangerous 128+.What can we do to make it happen?i

mahlemiut

Quote from: Widukind on 09:59, 29 June 18
However, Rick Dangerous+ insists to think my emulator was a CPC only:
Sorry but this game don't work on old CPC. Try on CPC+
Curious.  Will take a look a that later.
- Barry Rodewald

mahlemiut

Looks like it relies on PPI differences in the Plus for detection.  Making a derivative PPI device should be doable.

UPDATE: I have this working locally, is there a list of games that are affected by the Plus PPI somewhere so that I can test it out further?
- Barry Rodewald

Widukind

I found only a few plus-aware games on a dsk image which during run-time switch into plus mode when a plus machine is detected, namely my mentioned Striker in the Crypts of Trogan.

Prehistorik-II comes on a dsk image, too, but doesn't auto-detect the plus hardware but the user has to select it via menu.

Most other plus games I examined come on a crt image, so no plus detection necessary. :-)

mahlemiut

I'm looking for standard CPC games that are affected by the bugs in the Plus PPI implementation.  I've come across Barbarian (I vaguely remember this one being mentioned a looooong time ago), but would still like to test more.
- Barry Rodewald

andycadley

Mercenary was one I remember buying that didn't respond to keyboard input on a Plus.

Maniac

I seem to remember Split Personalities was one game I loved but couldn't play on my Plus.

Deeko

I recall my cassette of Midngiht Resistance making the tape motor click constantly when playing, the game itself, controls etc workled fine otherwise though.

Do I remember correctly that the Plus PPI bug is to do with the keyboard scanning routine from old generation CPC not being 'by the book' on Plus so leaves button presses unresponsive?

Nich

Quote from: mahlemiut on 23:07, 30 June 18
I'm looking for standard CPC games that are affected by the bugs in the Plus PPI implementation.  I've come across Barbarian (I vaguely remember this one being mentioned a looooong time ago), but would still like to test more.

@TomEtJerry has a list of Plus-incompatible games on his site.

mahlemiut

- Barry Rodewald

kawickboy

I saw about 2 years ago a release i've never seen before: Rick Dangerous 1 big box by Microstyle (which published the 2nd one) as the 1st where initially sold by Firebird, dead in 1990. In front of this Microstyle release i read that was a new release allowing choosing the starting level like Rick 2 ! I'm afraid of a 16 bits only feature.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I'd love a Rick Dangerous (1 + 2) level editor. And Gfx editor.

Take the .dsk, edit the gfx and levels, save the .dsk, new game!