News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New Game: A Prelude To Chaos CPC

Started by EgoTrip, 19:55, 22 March 16

Previous topic - Next topic

EgoTrip

I am not going to fix it. I am not going to do another CPC production. I don't have the patience or skill for this bullshit. I spend too fucking long on this shit and its just totally fucked still.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: khaz on 16:58, 24 March 16
Spoiler: ShowHide

I found the non-obvious entrance. Without your hint I probably wouldn't have though, I thought the room with the electrical barrier was it, and kept searching for a switch. I now have 39 crystals, and still can't pass the electric fence. I suppose I need the last crystal to shut it down, but I've travelled all around the map again and still haven't found it

In the house where the guy says "LVL AND JWLS OPEN DOORS", there is an audio cue when I enter it, but the room is desperately empty.

If you're playing on WinAPE, please post a .sna with 39 jewels.
There are definitely 40 jewels... but it would be interesting to see if there IS another bug-ette I missed.

khaz

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 18:14, 24 March 16
If you're playing on WinAPE, please post a .sna with 39 jewels.
There are definitely 40 jewels... but it would be interesting to see if there IS another bug-ette I missed.

I'm playing on my real 6128. The game is paused right now, so I'm willing to do any test you want. The game was started on drive B from an HxC, I also have an X-MEM plugged in with a bunch of ROMs loaded.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: khaz on 18:19, 24 March 16
I'm playing on my real 6128. The game is paused right now, so I'm willing to do any test you want. The game was started on drive B from an HxC, I also have an X-MEM plugged in with a bunch of ROMs loaded.
Try top right of the map (in the pink area), there's a jewel behind a rock that needs the third weapon. That's normally my last or penultimate jewel. The other is in the green area where you have to get through the "dark" dungeon (again, you need all three weapons to get it).

It's just that the game works fine on my 6128... but, I have a set route, I guess, and so if a jewel disappears I would have missed it.

khaz

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 18:40, 24 March 16
Try top right of the map (in the pink area), there's a jewel behind a rock that needs the third weapon. That's normally my last or penultimate jewel. The other is in the green area where you have to get through the "dark" dungeon (again, you need all three weapons to get it).

It's just that the game works fine on my 6128... but, I have a set route, I guess, and so if a jewel disappears I would have missed it.

Nope, I got these two. They were the first I went after after I got the last weapon and got out of the dungeon, as I remembered about them.

remax

Quote from: khaz on 01:35, 24 March 16
I'm about near the end now, but I must be missing something. There's only one unexplored area on the map, I have
38 crystals and one key, one empty spece in the inventory next to the potion (what does it do anyway? extra life?)
. I just can't pass the
electric barrier to get to the hole in the ground
. I've explored everything twice now, but I just can't find a switch, or more crystals, or something else.

I'm exactly at this point...  :D
Brain Radioactivity

Morri

Great game, and I've enjoyed playing it. I can't finish it yet (can't find that last crystal either) but I don't mind, I have an entire library of games I can't finish.  ;D

I actually had an idea for a similar game but with different mechanics but never got past the graphics. You had a lot of excellent ideas in this game.
Great graphics (glitches are minor to me), beautiful intro, puzzles, hidden areas, warps, bosses, your map layout and design is brilliant! Smart enemies, really a great list and well executed.

I know how frustrating game making is, I've got a huge list of abandoned games / ideas because they seemed out of my reach / skill level so I commend you for at least sticking it out, even if finishing it drives you past the point of insanity.  :-\

Glad to hear it works on real machines, I'll have to load it up via HxC and see it on the real deal.  8)
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

remax

OK found the hard to find room... No i'm at the club of 39/40 jewels  ;D

Anyway, this game is really wonderful!
Brain Radioactivity

tastefulmrship

Quote from: khaz on 19:30, 24 March 16
Nope, I got these two. They were the first I went after after I got the last weapon and got out of the dungeon, as I remembered about them.
And the house with the ROCK in it?

remax

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 19:59, 24 March 16
And the house with the ROCK in it?

Already got it...

Are you sure there is nothing in the "LVL AND JEWELS OPEN DOORS" room ?

Why is there an extra key?
Brain Radioactivity

Puresox

Quote from: EgoTrip on 17:54, 24 March 16
I am not going to fix it. I am not going to do another CPC production. I don't have the patience or skill for this bullshit. I spend too fucking long on this shit and its just totally fucked still.
Sound a  tad frustrated . Don't want to be patronising , but I'm sure every coder has suffered what you have . Don't throw everything away , produced pretty decent game by the sounds . Gonna check it out

tastefulmrship

OK.
There's a JEWEL that seems to disappear after a certain amount of time. I suggest that once you've defeated the first boss, you aim immediately towards the ORANGE FIELD area and grab both of them (in the room where you shoot the button to remove the first laser barrier) before it is permenantly removed from the map; meaning the game is impossible to complete! 39/40 JEWELs.

arnoldemu

sounds like an accidental memory overwrite.. see them even in modern software and they are a pain to track down.

@EgoTrip: It's ok to be frustrated. It can even be patched by somebody else or worked around. I think you should be proud of the game!

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

remax

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 20:43, 24 March 16

OK.
There's a JEWEL that seems to disappear after a certain amount of time. I suggest that once you've defeated the first boss, you aim immediately towards the ORANGE FIELD area and grab both of them (in the room where you shoot the button to remove the first laser barrier) before it is permenantly removed from the map; meaning the game is impossible to complete! 39/40 JEWELs.

Not a big deal... It'll give me a reason to play through it again. Lets say i got the bad ending  :P
Brain Radioactivity

EgoTrip

I have updated the original post with a link to a couple of fixes. There are now enough jewels to collect that don't disappear so you can complete the game, and the spare key now has a use.

Gryzor

Added to the CPCWiki news on the homepage :)

remax

Finished this time with all the 41 jewels  :P (there is a little typo in the doc, you say that there is 50 jewels).

With an ending like this, you owe us a sequel  ;D

Thank you for this really good game, even going through again was enjoyable.
Brain Radioactivity

ronaldo

Congratulations, @EgoTrip :D . I'm very happy to see that you finally achieved your goal and released your game developed in C.

I've finally had the opportunity to test it today, and I must say that it is really cool. I love the appearance of the game: it looks very nice with those mode 1 graphics and the use of the color palette is wonderful. Another interesting thing is the many different mechanics you have included in the game. This game would have been a good commercial game back in the days for sure :) .

The graphical glitches and control issues are part of the normal price all of us pay in our first programs. So, don't take it as a failure, but as normal steps in the learning process. Anyways, the final quality of your game is really high for being your first time in C language: most of my fourth-year students are unable to achieve this quality level, even having previous programming experience. In fact, you beat most of them with AGD in past #CPCRetroDev.

And, of course, thanks for all your reportings. As you already know, CPCtelera is evolving thanks to all users like you that use it, ask for support and send suggestions :) .

Unoquepasa

Xyphoe

I absolutely loved this game! It's made me realise what a perfect platform the Amstrad CPC is for a Zelda type game!

I've done a longplay and review of this now :) ...

Puresox

Wow , I've missed this one ? Thanks whoever provided! Looks cool

jesusdelmas

What an amazing game! i wanted to know if there is a second part of this game or another similar in developement :) i finished it and i want more! :D

VincentGR

Quote from: jesusdelmas on 13:51, 08 January 18
What an amazing game! i wanted to know if there is a second part of this game or another similar in developement :) i finished it and i want more! :D

egotrip has many similar fantastic games.
He has a site which I cannot see it anymore in his signature.

SRS

Ha, I'm so happy today ...

just unboxed it !