News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New Game: Platform Climber

Started by ronaldo, 13:08, 03 June 15

Previous topic - Next topic

ronaldo

Here you are a little game created as a development example with CPCtelera. Platform Climber is just a simple game where we control a character that must climb platforms to avoid falling into the lava:

Complete source code is available and included into the last version of CPCtelera (at Github). Everything is commented and structured. If you have any doubts, please ask me :) .

The game implements physics based on integer arithmetics with 256-level subpixel precision: you can feel it when playing. There are tons of aspects to be improved in the game, but we have left it as is to maintain it relatively simple to understand for those interested in learning from it or modifying the code. There is still no music, but I could add it if some one wanted to create one (I am unable to join two notes with coherence :) )

You can modify it, test it, crash it or do whatever you wanted :) . You just have to download latest version of CPCtelera (at Github), type in "make" and start playing with it ;) .

Here you are a sample video and links for downloading the game and playing it directly from your browser.
Youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwUwUAXBPd8

arnoldemu

Fantastic!

Great way to show off cpctelera and how to use it! :)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Trebmint

Nice looking game, and better still it a cool game mechanic. Well done!

arnoldemu

Code is very well commented. The project structure for the game is easy to use to find the files.

:)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Prodatron

That's very cool! And I really like the source code structure!

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

alex76gr

Excellent job ronaldo. 8)
Way to go!
I still believe that i got my myopia from the green GT-65 monitor, but i can't prove it! :)

Puresox

Looks enjoyable , will have to give it a burn, not a patch on Home Runner( Which is in Machine Code ,I'll have you know ;) )
No seriously thanks for keeping things interesting in the CPC world.

ivarf

The beginning of the game reminds me of Roland in the Caves 

ronaldo

Thank you very much for your comments, guys  :). I hope it to be helpful for those wanting to use the source code.

Although it is reasonably structured, it requires much improvement to be much more useful. Comments, criticism and suggestions are much appreciated. I think that improving structure of games like this is a first step in creating something more like "game generators", like AGD or others.

For your reference, actual score record of this game is 330. Anyone able to achieve more?  ;)

PS: If you haven't tried it, test what happens when you use cursor down key, being over a platform  8)

Gryzor

Ooh, an infinite climber game on the CPC! I love it, I don't know if it needs any music but sfx for sure. And of course it needs to scroll quite a bit faster, but I like it so far. The somersault is really cute :)

ronaldo

The scroll velocity increases as you climb more and more ;). However, it is a software scroll: the idea was to keep the code as simple and understandable as possible, as it is an example for people :).

If you wanted to create sound FX and/or music for the game, I may include it. I'm just virtually deaf for creating any kind of sound asset :D

ronaldo

Today I throughly tested Platform Climber on my real Amstrad CPC 464 and set up a new record: 776 platforms.

Anyone wanting to accept the challenge of beating it? :D

[attach=2]

Trewdbal

Damn, it's pretty hard !
My personal record : 31  :picard:

Trewdbal