News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New Game: Brick Rick

Started by reidrac, 20:40, 25 September 20

Previous topic - Next topic

awergh

I thought about ordering a physical copy but the estimated shipping price to Australia is 38 euros which seems a bit much (its never been that expensive previously).
Perhaps its just covid and I will just have to wait a while. In AUD it is $95 (including shipping) which is hard to justify to myself.

reidrac

Quote from: awergh on 13:24, 10 October 20
I thought about ordering a physical copy but the estimated shipping price to Australia is 38 euros which seems a bit much (its never been that expensive previously).
Perhaps its just covid and I will just have to wait a while. In AUD it is $95 (including shipping) which is hard to justify to myself.

It may be possible to contact Poly Play if you can suggest an alternative shipping method. May be that's the price of the company they work with, and happens to be extra expensive to ship to Australia. I don't know.

It is also true that the big box editions are large (and also can be heavy), so shipping costs are higher.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Dubliner

It's actually a good idea to contact PolyPlay. They usually ship with DHL and the price for that Shipping to Australia is 20 EUR. it could be a mistake.

Skunkfish

Has anyone received their physical edition yet?

Ordered mine a while back and noticed on the Polyplay site that it appears to be available now, but no sign as yet.....
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

reidrac

Quote from: Skunkfish on 10:40, 27 November 20
Has anyone received their physical edition yet?

Ordered mine a while back and noticed on the Polyplay site that it appears to be available now, but no sign as yet.....

Sebastian sent a mail today, check your junk folder.

Among other things, he mentions that Ralph Niese passed away on Monday. Very sad news, he did the wonderful art of 6 of my games.

There's also a status update on several games re: COVID. The short story is that shipping is having long delays because of COVID restrictions, and the production of some games is slower than usual because there are several steps involved and some of them are being delayed, affecting the next step in the process.

Poly Play will deliver with the usual high quality, but unfortunately it'll take a bit longer than usual. I'm still surprised that Kitsune's Curse was almost unaffected, all things cosidered.

Please let me know if you didn't receive the mail and I can forward it to you; just DM me your email.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Skunkfish

Thanks Juan, it was indeed sat in my Gmail spam folder for some reason!

Really sad to hear about Ralph Niese, I don't know much about him but I do know that he was an incredibly talented illustrator. And the same age as myself apparently (i.e. far too young)....
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

reidrac

Quote from: Skunkfish on 12:40, 27 November 20
Thanks Juan, it was indeed sat in my Gmail spam folder for some reason!

Really sad to hear about Ralph Niese, I don't know much about him but I do know that he was an incredibly talented illustrator. And the same age as myself apparently (i.e. far too young)....

Ralph was very talented, and he did way more than just some game covers: https://www.deviantart.com/ralphniese/gallery

I was very lucky I got to work with him via Poly Play.

zeropolis79

I've been playing this game today - is it wrong that I get slight Bubble Bobble vibes from this?

reidrac

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 14:41, 29 November 20
I've been playing this game today - is it wrong that I get slight Bubble Bobble vibes from this?

Not at all. It takes from Bubble Bobble, Snow Bros and others; like Magica https://www.usebox.net/jjm/magica/

remax

As far as i know, i bought every CPC release on Polyplay, and i will gladely buy this one :)
Brain Radioactivity

Nich

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 22:32, 09 October 20
[I will hopefully get time to play this soon because it looks great, even though I know I probably wouldn't get past level 3]

I'd love a physical 80's compilation type offering - a bunch of different recent CPC games in a single box, with some funky compilation title and so on, just like back in the day. I can't justify collecting lots of different boxes these days as I'm not a collector. I also wouldn't want to see it relegated to a box in the attic.

There's the poly.play 3rd Anniversary Compilation on cassette. OK, not all of the games are for the CPC, but 5 out of 8 isn't bad.

XeNoMoRPH

thanks for the warning @Nich , I have ordered it, it seems to me a good compilation, and I do not have any title of those that come.
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

reidrac

Got mail from Poly Play that the shipping has been started. Exciting!

I don't know if all the parcels will be sent at the same time or if this will go in batches, but check your mail (junk folder included).

Hopefully everybody will have the game by Christmas!

reidrac

I got my copy!

I love it! Poly Play has made a great job with the manual design.

https://twitter.com/reidrac/status/1339979942487085063

manossg

Awesome artwork, fits the game like a glove!

Skunkfish

Still crossing my fingers that mine will reach here for Xmas!

reidrac

Quote from: Skunkfish on 22:38, 21 December 20
Still crossing my fingers that mine will reach here for Xmas!

Yep, I read the news about DHL cancelling all shipments to UK/Ireland :(

Crossing my fingers too. My parcel arrived in 5 days!

Skunkfish

Looking at it, I think I must have been a cheapskate and paid for the most 'economical' shipping service!

Well, my birthday is in February so the timing may still be perfect  ;D

eto

I have to admit, I love these typical 80s arcade games and Brick Rick would have been a great game in the arcade.

This is such a fantastic game! Technically perfect, great controls and really fun gameplay.

I am considering now to build my own arcade stick just for this game, as I think it will benefit a lot from an arcade controller.

Only one thing I am missing is a "continue" function. Repeating level 1-7 all over again just to die in level 8 again because I am not fully used to it yet is a bit frustrating.

reidrac

Quote from: eto on 09:31, 23 December 20
I have to admit, I love these typical 80s arcade games and Brick Rick would have been a great game in the arcade.

This is such a fantastic game! Technically perfect, great controls and really fun gameplay.

I am considering now to build my own arcade stick just for this game, as I think it will benefit a lot from an arcade controller.

Only one thing I am missing is a "continue" function. Repeating level 1-7 all over again just to die in level 8 again because I am not fully used to it yet is a bit frustrating.

Thanks for the comment. I'm glad you like it :)

The game is not perfect; there are a few things I would have done differently. I guess you can use pokes to make it easier, or if you're using an emulator, you can use snapshots.

BUT there's a cheat mode. Pause the game and enter the Konami code (if you're using keyboard and not a 2 button joystick, use 1 and 2 as button 1 and button 2).

Frustrating is BAD, but that's the arcade experience I guess! :)

eto

So I just lost my last life on stage 10 with 9890 points... yes, this IS frustrating  :D

Anyway, you're absolutely right that frustration is part of the arcade experience and Brick Rick has exactly the right level of frustration regarding the game play. However, that's probably why they invented the "continue" function for frustrating games ;-) (if I think about it - that's kind of the first in-game purchase...)

Honestly I don't think it's possible to ever create the perfect game or program. Unless trivial, there will always be something you can optimize or do better - but maybe it would make it less fun - you never know. I'm sure the Donkey Kong creator had some ideas how to make it better - but it's a classic exactly how it is now. I think you can be absolutely proud of what you have done. I mean, I am aware this is a relatively simple game compared to many releases we have seen lately but yours is the one that I keep playing since I hooked up the C4CPC - and it has tons of games on it...

Thanks for the hint with the Konami code. I will give it a try. Or worst case play it with an emulator. I am usually playing on real (or almost real) hardware. Also something that I realised, that games are not as much fun, if not played in the right environment. As I said, I love arcade games like e.g. Donkey Kong or Galaga. But they are not fun if played with a normal controller sitting in front of a TV. But they are awesome, standing in front of a cabinet. I first thought this is related to childhood memories but it's also the case for games I never played, they just feel different. Also emulation is not the problem as my cabinet runs Mame and I am totally fine with it. My theory is, that every game has a sweet spot regarding controls and posture (sitting on a chair close to the monitor vs on a couch far away from the TV, or standing in front of a cabinet) and if that's not met, the game is losing a lot of its appeal. Hmh... I just thought I will try out Brick Rick on the cabinet...

I will look into your other games too, once I don't want to play anymore ;-) but now, back to the aliens ;-)

Skunkfish

I won't hear a bad word against Deutsche Post or Royal Mail...

The postie just handed over a package to me in the torrential rain, with Brick Rick inside! Hooray!

Now, do I wrap it up for myself and put it under the tree ready for Christmas morning?

reidrac

@eto Thanks for your kind words!

Time ago I decided that I would rather iterate and make a few imperfect games instead of just making THE big perfect one (that may not finish anyway). I keep learning, the next one will be better!

@Skunkfish yay! \o/

reidrac

Skunkfish

The kids had some fun over Christmas....