News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New game: Dead on Time

Started by Axelay, 09:27, 27 February 10

Previous topic - Next topic

ukmarkh

A gryzor mode would cause the screen to flick  ;)

Devilmarkus

I want b**bs .... Space-b**bs
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Gryzor

Ooh! Now that's a great idea! And instead of spaceships shooting stuff you could have - erm, ahem.

But what was that Cecco's game called, the one where they covered up the nipples for the AA release?

ukmarkh

Stormlord or Deliverance...

Axelay

Quote from: Cholo on 19:33, 01 March 10
@Axelay & team: would it be ok, if i upload a video of the game to youtube?
Sure, go ahead.

Quote from: DARKGATE on 11:03, 02 March 10
:o a new game for AMSTRAD  :P i have tried it is great, i have an AMSTRAD CPC 464,  :'( a CDT version is in work?
Yes, a CDT is in the works.

On the graphics.  It's getting damn late here, so I will just say that I've prioritised speed.  If you have lasted in the region of 6-7 minutes you will have seen just how busy the game can get and still not drop the frame rate (though I cant vouch it wont ever, it is really close).  If the enemy sprites arent as colourful or well shaded as you might like, it's because of the technique I've used for speed, in a confined space.  This has even dictated aspects of the design of the enemy sprites.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Axelay on 17:17, 02 March 10
On the graphics.  It's getting damn late here, so I will just say that I've prioritised speed.  If you have lasted in the region of 6-7 minutes you will have seen just how busy the game can get and still not drop the frame rate (though I cant vouch it wont ever, it is really close).  If the enemy sprites arent as colourful or well shaded as you might like, it's because of the technique I've used for speed, in a confined space.  This has even dictated aspects of the design of the enemy sprites.
That'll stop the moaners  :P
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Xifos

Hello there !

I have just tried this game, and it's really impressive and good !
(and hard  :D)
Great work there !
Once again, it shows how the CPC can do shooters with good frame rate, gameplay, music, graphics.
I cannot help asking this question but, it is at 50 hz or 25 hz ?
Anyway, it's smooth and quick with a lot of sprites.
It's so good that i think the others machines should have it (Atari, Amiga...) !

TFM

Well done! Great game! Finally a new concept, good idea! However not easy to play in arcade mode - like arcade always is ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

I don't think that many improovment may actually be added.

A plus version with the Player sprites as Hardwired perhaps.

And gameplay stuff/mods...like alternate gameplay/controlers configs.

The 2 controllers as one would enable to get the player moving while targeting elsewhere
This may even be achieved with keyboard or joy+keyboard (if the joy has good Plungers...)

or enabling a 2-button mode would ease it a bit..

But of course this wouldn't be exactly the same game, yet alternate controller solutions are always sweet..

Oh, I tried it with AMX mouse enabled on WinApe...

The mouse mode seems to work and it is good, yet not practicle on WinApe...surely better on real CPC..

And yep, the music is sweet and great.

But adding extra graphic stuff wouldn't be that needed, and may slow down the game, and we know this game must remains the fastest as possible.

Yet it is quite fun to see how it is nowaday with internet and a smaller community :
A damn good game is just released, and we bitch to get even more...lol.

OPtimistic Painter

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:54, 02 March 10
I want b**bs .... Space-b**bs

The front cover almost had space bewbs, just showing a rather attractive female pilot in VR gear but in the end I thought it was a bit too disconnected from the game itself.

You can check out how the cover art came together over at my blog: http://optimisticpainter.wordpress.com/

ukmarkh

I can only speak for myself, but just take my moaning with a pinch of salt... I bitch if I have to stand in a queue. What Axeley and others are doing on the CPC IMHO is fantastic, and I love his games. In fact the more I play 'Dead on time' the more I appreciate the work that has gone in.

Just want to make a special mention to Targhan, this guy is a genius on the CPC decks.

I was loosley giving a bit of thought to having an XBOX LIVE / PS3 style trophy awards system in this very forum for people whom support and acheive remarkable results on the CPC? A lot of the work sometimes goes unoticed and maybe a gold / silver / bronze system might help.   

Gryzor

Quote from: OPtimistic Painter on 02:07, 03 March 10
The front cover almost had space bewbs, just showing a rather attractive female pilot in VR gear but in the end I thought it was a bit too disconnected from the game itself.

You can check out how the cover art came together over at my blog: http://optimisticpainter.wordpress.com/

Ahhh yes but there no 'bewbs' in the posts!

Speaking of disconnected covers, whenever did that stop the publishers before? :)

Lovely blog, btw, lots to read there. Thanks for the input -and welcome :)

Devilmarkus

Something else:
Time :
poke &84A7, mins
poke &84A8, secs

Gryzor

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 11:45, 03 March 10
Something else:
Time :
poke &84A7, mins
poke &84A8, secs

ΗΑΗΑΗΑ! Now, if THAT's not going back in ages I don't know what is...

The issue is not to cheat the hi-score table, though, but cheat the game itself. Energy pokes?

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:46, 03 March 10
ΗΑΗΑΗΑ! Now, if THAT's not going back in ages I don't know what is...

The issue is not to cheat the hi-score table, though, but cheat the game itself. Energy pokes?

There is no energy.
When you collide with enemies, your time decreases.
When you hit a swarm of enemies, your time increases.
That's it ;)

Gryzor

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 11:48, 03 March 10
There is no energy.
When you collide with enemies, your time decreases.
When you hit a swarm of enemies, your time increases.
That's it ;)

Er... of course :D [facepalm]

mr_lou

It's WAY too early to play this game with cheat!!!!!

Beat my 4 minute 17 second 30 million score if you can - without cheat!

Axelay

I'm not bothered by the 'suggestions'  :)  Was just trying to add some context.  As it stands, anything added means something else lost.

Quote from: Xifos on 19:57, 02 March 10

I cannot help asking this question but, it is at 50 hz or 25 hz ?
50hz

redbox

Quote from: Axelay on 12:50, 03 March 10
50hz

Now that's impressive.  I bet there's a few self-modifying pieces of code in there  :)

Did you use an improved version of fast sprites? I say this because you said the sprites had to be drawn a certain way so I'm assuming this is because you used an optimised sprite printing routine...?

Cholo

Optimistic Painter

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:31, 03 March 10

Ahhh yes but there no 'bewbs' in the posts!

Speaking of disconnected covers, whenever did that stop the publishers before? :)

Lovely blog, btw, lots to read there. Thanks for the input -and welcome :)

My apologies for the lack of bewbs!

Thanks!

I've known Paul (Axelay) since we were kids and it's great to see such positive, and constructive, responses to his game. I know in a small way how much time, effort and thought go into his games.
He's got some pretty deep ideas about games and what they should deliver to the player. He keeps his head down mostly when it comes to public comments, but it'd be worth it to get his take on games and gaming some time.

MacDeath

The mastering of the bullet field and multipliers seems to be the essential part to burst hi-scores.

But the maneuver of the ship is also the most delicate part...it need a good controller device and we are not as sharp as in the past perhaps.

@Cholo : Nice video, it shows well all game's modes and options.

Axelay

Quote from: redbox on 13:57, 03 March 10
Now that's impressive.  I bet there's a few self-modifying pieces of code in there  :)

Did you use an improved version of fast sprites? I say this because you said the sprites had to be drawn a certain way so I'm assuming this is because you used an optimised sprite printing routine...?

Not that much self modifying code.  Probably very little, I tend to reserve it for last resort out of habit, or ... something.  ::)

I guess the sprite code is a variation of what is described in the fast sprites article as 'direct addressing'.  I've attached one of the sprites as an example.  As for the colour limitations, there are only 5 registers free, which basically limits the colour variation to 2 for areas where the colour differs.  In addition, some sprites required preshifted frames for slower horizontal movement, which put additional restrictions on other colours being placed near those areas where the colour can change.

Gryzor

Anyone else played it over the weekend? I hooked a laptop to my big TV and gave it hell :D

mr_lou

Did you beat my record then? 4 minute 40 seconds now.  8)