News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New game: Dead on Time

Started by Axelay, 09:27, 27 February 10

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

I probably shouldn't tell you that I just beat my own record with 7 minutes and 35 seconds then?  8)

Devilmarkus

Quote from: mr_lou on 20:17, 19 March 10
I probably shouldn't tell you that I just beat my own record with 7 minutes and 35 seconds then?  8)

- 1:15 min: played game
- Pressed freeze button
- Drunk a cup of coffee
- after 5:20 min: released freeze button
- Lost after 1:00 min

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Xifos

Quote from: mr_lou on 20:17, 19 March 10

I almost got crazy by achieving 2:54 !
Are you really human ?  ;D

nurgle

Axelay

Damn bugs!  They're everywhere!   :'(   Well, I found three at least, two of which could do nasty things to the game if you played it long enough.  So I've uploaded a new version to my website:

http://starsabre.bigblog.com.au/index.do

The new zip contains 3 files:
The new game disk
A disk with a basic tool for transferring your high scores from the old disk to the new disk
A tape image for people who only have a CPC464

Things to note:

The score transfer tool "operates" only from the drive it is booted from, so if you run the file from a disk in drive A, the subsequent disks need to be inserted in drive A.

For the tape image, the loading screen is compressed to help it load faster.  However, it takes a long time to decompress, possibly just longer than the 3 second gap to the next file.  Not a problem if you are using an actual tape, but if you are "injecting" an audio file from a PC or other source, it will possibly be necessary to briefly pause the audio playback while the load screen decompresses.

Gryzor

Nice.... I especially like the high-score transfer tool. Not that I'll be needing it much, but it shows attention to detail... :)

mr_lou

Quote from: Axelay on 09:10, 22 March 10
Damn bugs!  They're everywhere!   :'(   Well, I found three at least, two of which could do nasty things to the game if you played it long enough.

I've beat my time-record a few times, but I'm quite puzzled how I managed to score 142 million points. Is this part of the bug, or is it legit enough?

Axelay

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:36, 22 March 10
Nice.... I especially like the high-score transfer tool. Not that I'll be needing it much, but it shows attention to detail... :)
Well I figured it would probably annoy me if I lost my hard won scores because of a bug/patch, so I shouldn't go inflicting it on other people! :)

Quote from: mr_lou on 12:00, 22 March 10
I've beat my time-record a few times, but I'm quite puzzled how I managed to score 142 million points. Is this part of the bug, or is it legit enough?

Sounds quite legit to me.  After I added the challenge mode I found that if I tried to play the arcade mode the way I played the challenge mode I could get over 100 million, but I only lasted 3-4 minutes in doing so. 

The bugs specifically were:
The game more or less breaking if you survived 10 minutes (and no, I cant really do that!)
Capsules appearing arbitrarily if you played for an extended period while regularly surviving more than four and a half minutes.
The last entry in the challenge high score table not being saved to disk.

mr_lou

HAH!!!!

First go on the new version and I beat my record again.  8)

This is one addictive game.  :D

nurgle

Oh mr lou,

just wanted to post my new record, and you come up with this silly score. Have to play some more I guess.  :'(

Anyway, here is my humble attempt.

Btw. Thanks Axelay for the updated version!

Leonie

The software-sprites in "Dead on Time" moves like hardware-sprites.
Wow!!!
The scrolling of "star sabre" is also really well-done, better than almost all horizontal CPC-shooters I know.
Dear Axelay, I love your games.
How a about a new "vertikal-scrolling-space-shooter", with the best scrolling and animation on the CPC ever?
And with good Targhan-Music of course. (the title-musics of "star-sabre" and "dead on time" are marvellous)
Please do that!
PLEASE!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Gryzor

I'd drink to that... and pay for it, too :)

Axelay

I'd certainly like to try a vertical shooter at some point, but I'm playing with a few ideas and I still don't know what my next project will end up being.

That's a pretty awesome time there mr lou!

nurgle

Arghhh, turned off my CPC without saving my previous record.  :'(

But here is a better one anyway. Still only second in this Thread.  :'( :'( :'(

mr_lou

Quote from: Axelay on 09:28, 25 March 10That's a pretty awesome time there mr lou!

Thanks!  :)
But what do you call THIS then?  ;D

nurgle

ukmarkh

That's cheating... you're not supposed to use your mutant abilities  ;)

Quote from: mr_lou on 11:19, 26 March 10
Thanks!  :)
But what do you call THIS then?  ;D

nurgle

@Axeley: In case you do another update I have two requests:

1) Show the time at the end of a game, even when you do not make it to the highscore table

2) Show the version number somewhere (Loading image, Title Screen or Instructions), for lazy people who don't label their discs properly. ;-)

awergh

Yay a tape image :) I will finally be able to play on one of my 464s instead of using an emulator.
And work out which of my 4 joysticks work properly.

Gryzor

Are you kidding? I love tape images - just loading them in emulators, no need for the real thing to enjoy them :D

awergh

haha, although the advantage of an emulator is that I can choose to use colour although I usually don't because I only have two GT64s which means even in an emulator I still set it to monochrome green most of the time

redbox

I remember a friend of mine had a green screen and after playing games for about 4 hours straight I would ride home on my bike with everything in the real world looking a weird interlaced green.

Must have been hell on my eyes, equivalent today of kids ruining their eardrums with iPods  ;D

ukmarkh

No, that was just the drugs you were taking  ;)

Quote from: redbox on 21:15, 31 March 10
I remember a friend of mine had a green screen and after playing games for about 4 hours straight I would ride home on my bike with everything in the real world looking a weird interlaced green.

Must have been hell on my eyes, equivalent today of kids ruining their eardrums with iPods  ;D

Gryzor

I remember it being a revelation when I bought a SCART cable and saw THE COLORS, MAN!!!! The yellow on blue!!!There's a whole new world out there!

...but green still holds a very dear place in my heart now...

redbox

Quote from: ukmarkh on 23:10, 31 March 10
No, that was just the drugs you were taking  ;)

Ha ha!  The CPC was like crack to a 10 year old kid though  ;)