News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New game: Dead on Time

Started by Axelay, 09:27, 27 February 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Axelay

I'd imagine it would be quite difficult to play Dead on Time on a green screen though!  Well, I just gave it a go under emulation and managed 4:19, but collecting random capsules kinda takes away from the game.  I keep forgetting there were green screens... but thinking about them now reminds me how a few early games had those green screen options.  I wonder if that could have worked in Dead on Time...

ukmarkh

I wonder if the green screen was another reason why we had so many speccy ports. They probably thought we'd never notice the lack of colour?

Gryzor

Valid reason, but then again mags always reviewed on colour... there were the occasional ones offering a 'green view', but that was all. And given how much reviews counted towards a game's sales...

Cholo

Just noticed that Dead on Time is available at BinaryZone/Psytronic on tape:
http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=87_99

(also has Starsabre on disc too).

Gryzor

Darn, more money thrown away... :D

I wish Starsabre on disk was cheaper :(

mr_lou

I was just playing Score Challenge right now, and then suddenly all alien ships stopped coming. I scored 426 million and had about 2½ minutes left. But I couldn't do anything but wait for the time to run out. There were no aliens to shoot at. Is this a bug?

Axelay

Quote from: mr_lou on 10:05, 04 April 10
I was just playing Score Challenge right now, and then suddenly all alien ships stopped coming. I scored 426 million and had about 2½ minutes left. But I couldn't do anything but wait for the time to run out. There were no aliens to shoot at. Is this a bug?

Yes, sorry  :(   I've never encountered this one though.  I might stick with more linear games in future, this one has been a nightmare for infrequent bugs compared to Star Sabre.

mr_lou

Don't be sorry for a bug in a freeware game.

I was just in doubt for a second, whether there was a limit on how many aliens I was supposed to shoot in Score Challenge.

Bugs are always a nightmare. I know from our own game-projects.  ;)

But Dead on Time is my 4th favorite game. Playing it a lot!  :)
(My first favorite game was Bubble Bobble, then Duke Nukem 3D Atomic, then Unreal Tournament, and now Dead on Time).

Targhan

>There were no aliens to shoot at. Is this a bug?
I think is wasn't a bug. You scared all the aliens away with your insane killing spree ! :)
... Or perhaps you simply killed all of them ? :)

Trg.Aks
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 21:02, 05 April 10
I think is wasn't a bug. You scared all the aliens away with your insane killing spree ! :)

You could be on to something there. I have been playing a lot. Maybe they got really tired of me returning all the time to kill them. Maybe they remember everytime I killed them, just like the Cylon ships do...   :o
I can understand that, because I do kick ass.  8)

mr_lou

No time under 9 minutes.  8)
Where's the competition?

nurgle

Quote from: mr_lou on 18:05, 06 April 10
No time under 9 minutes.  8)
Where's the competition?

13:25 is insane. I doubt I will ever be able to do so well.  :o

mr_lou

Quote from: nurgle on 12:27, 09 April 10
13:25 is insane. I doubt I will ever be able to do so well.  :o

Practice nurgle-san. :->

Gryzor

You are insane. I don't believe that. Mad ph0t0shop skillzz

nurgle

ukmarkh

Is that time even humanly possible, the highest I can get is just over 6 mins?

TFM

Quote from: ukmarkh on 14:43, 16 April 10
Is that time even humanly possible, the highest I can get is just over 6 mins?

Hmm, I wouldn't use Photoshop, but I would use this CPC slow down DIY project from happy computer ;-) On the other hand if LOU is that quick why not. Half a life ago I played games to the end in which I don't reach the end of Level 1 now. Probably depends on the amount of time you can invest. And I did 18 ...................... seconds ;-) (joking)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

Just for the record... I've never claimed I'm human.

TFM

Quote from: mr_lou on 19:47, 21 April 10
Just for the record... I've never claimed I'm human.

Do you contain a Z80?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

robcfg

I bet he contains a Z80.

A 6502 would be too slow for playing this game...  :laugh:

TFM

Quote from: robcfg on 22:59, 21 April 10
I bet he contains a Z80.
A 6502 would be too slow for playing this game...  :laugh:

Yeah, to move the joystick once would take days instead of milliseconds  ;D
TFM of FutureSoft

Leonie

There are more than a few Amstrad-Games with a lazy delayed control*.
The control of "Dead On Time" is extremely accurate/precise without any noticeable delays.
The sprites moves fast and super-ultra-smooth. Almost smoother than a dingding in a wet regina.
I would say it feels like an Arcade-Game.
Well done, Axelay.
One point of criticism:
To chase High-Scores is not soooooo exciting in the long run. I miss a real aim (different levels, bosses and so forth).

* I need some English-Help: "Control" or "Controls"?  ???

ervin

Quote from: Leonie on 19:11, 16 May 10
* I need some English-Help: "Control" or "Controls"?  ???

Hi Leonie.

If you are talking about the controls as a whole, you can say "the control is extremely accurate".
In other words, the control you have over the game is extremely accurate.

If you are talking about the controls in a more individual way (i.e. individual controls), you can say "the controls are extremely accurate".
That way you are talking about the controls as separate entities. For example, the up control, the down control etc.

Axelay

There are more than a few Amstrad-Games with a lazy delayed control*.
The control of "Dead On Time" is extremely accurate/precise without any noticeable delays.

The control responsiveness is really just a function of frame rate.   The lower the frame rate becomes, the more noticeable the delay between  input and on screen response becomes.  And low frame rates were sadly  common.

Well done, Axelay.
One point of criticism:
To chase High-Scores is not soooooo exciting in the long run. I miss a real aim (different levels, bosses and so forth).

Thank you!  On bosses & levels, Dead on Time was simple by both necessity and design.  More than half the time I spent on upgrading Star Sabre to 128k was on the bosses, and I wanted a break!

Nich

I have just received the latest issue (#77) of Retro Gamer magazine in the post, and they have reviewed Dead on Time and given it an overall score of 93%, which is thoroughly deserved. Congratulations once again to Axelay! ;D