News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Gryzor Plus adaptation

Started by Gryzor, 10:25, 26 March 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

XeNoMoRPH

I put the video in another post, but I put it here too :)

https://youtu.be/TIv_m62bQlQ
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Gryzor

elmer

I'm looking forward to seeing Cyrille's CPC+ work on Gryzor, it's so nice that people still have fond feelings for these old conversions.

Does anyone know if Cyrille has released the CPC+ version of Renegade that he tweeted about?

Here's another re-colouring of Mark's Gryzor loading screen, this time for the Enterprise 64/128 computer instead of the CPC+.

The original CPC screen is shown below for comparison.

elmer

Here's another example of what the game *might* have looked like if the Amstrad CPC hadn't completely wiped the Enterprise 64/128 out of the home-computer market.
The Amstrad original is on the top, followed by two potential sets of Enterprise colours, the middle one is chosen to be similar to the Amstrad, and the bottom one is chosen to try to take as much advantage of the Enterprise's larger colour range.
The Enterprise has a weird restriction on the top 8 colours in the palette which definitely limits how much use can be made of its excellent colour range (in comparison to the CPC's 27-colours).
It will be interesting to see if Cyrille's CPC+ version of the game looks anything like either of these.

ivarf

Am I the only one here preferring the original CPC colours over the GX 4000 and Enterprise for the examples shown?

Gryzor

Quote from: ivarf on 22:22, 26 April 20
Am I the only one here preferring the original CPC colours over the GX 4000 and Enterprise for the examples shown?

Nope :)

reidrac

The problem I see here is that you usually draw things using the palette you have, and a palette swap is never ideal because with different colours I think it would lead to different pixels.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

AxelStone

CPC has a very vibrant palette, we are used to this colours and for us they are really very good  :)

elmer

Quote from: AxelStone on 17:52, 28 April 20
CPC has a very vibrant palette, we are used to this colours and for us they are really very good

It really doesn't help that modern pixel-perfect digital files absolutely don't do justice to what the Amstrad screens look like on a real Amstrad CRT.

The bluring that occurs on sharp changes of brightness really helps to soften out the Amstrad graphics, and a master-artist (such as Mark Jones was), would take every advantage of the CRT's behaviour to make his game art look amazing.

His sprite art was all created on the Amstrad CPC itself in Amsoft's Screen Designer software, so he used every trick available to make it look great.

Quote from: reidrac on 07:47, 27 April 20
The problem I see here is that you usually draw things using the palette you have, and a palette swap is never ideal because with different colours I think it would lead to different pixels.

I understand the truth of what you're saying, but with the way that commercial game developement was done at the time, it is most-likely that the same team that did the Amstrad game would also have done the Enterprise version (if the Enterprise had sold enough to have been a viable target machine).

As such, the Enterprise game art really would likely have been a recolouring of the Amstrad art, with only some minor improvements made as allowed by a short development schedule.

You can see those kind of changes in the Enterprise screens that I posted, where some of the art has been changed to different colours to work better with the Enterprise palette.

While I do understand people's love of the original Amstrad game colouring, I have to say that I personally prefer the bottom set of Enterprise game colours.

Not because it really looks any "better", but because there is a clearer seperation in brightness between the background and the foreground (the sprites). It is easier to see the main character and the enemies, and that addresses one of the criticisms that were levelled against the game back in 1988.

Whichever version people like more, I believe that it shows that there is not a huge perceptable difference in the overall game graphic quality between the two machines, and that it is not surprising that the Amstrad CPC crushed the Enterprise in the 1985 home computer marketplace with its better value, better software availability, and better marketing.

I do think that the difference is far more visible when it comes to the Gryzor loading screen, but AFAIK nobody was going to choose which computer to buy based on loading screens.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

The bottom enterprise has the best grass.

The CPC is more bright and tropical however, which I feel works better - on this level at least.

But the sky is black, so is it nighttime?

AxelStone

Quote from: elmer on 22:43, 28 April 20
It really doesn't help that modern pixel-perfect digital files absolutely don't do justice to what the Amstrad screens look like on a real Amstrad CRT.

The bluring that occurs on sharp changes of brightness really helps to soften out the Amstrad graphics, and a master-artist (such as Mark Jones was), would take every advantage of the CRT's behaviour to make his game art look amazing.

His sprite art was all created on the Amstrad CPC itself in Amsoft's Screen Designer software, so he used every trick available to make it look great.

Of course, CPC is designed to bright in a CRT screen, as all these old machines. The colours, resolution and tricks works really well in CRT screen, but you lose all of this in a modern LCD pannel.

For me, CPC palette is really nice.

elmer

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 14:02, 29 April 20
The CPC is more bright and tropical however, which I feel works better - on this level at least.

But the sky is black, so is it nighttime?

It is interesting to compare the Amstrad version, and the Enterprise mockup with the original arcade graphics ...

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Certainly the CPC couldn't do the muted colours there - I think they did the right thing. Best looking 8-bit version by far.

remax

That's probably one of the very few games where i am desappointed everytime i launch it in arcade because of how the cpc version is gorgeous and the arcade version is dull...
Brain Radioactivity