News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Vespertino - new game from BG Games

Started by XeNoMoRPH, 15:17, 05 May 19

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Quote from: roudoudou on 16:31, 07 May 19This is great, but maybe this game will need moar ROM  ;D
For others games that was possible to release before! ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Carnivius

am bit confused about the cartridge thing.  What kind of cart is it?  A typical GX/Plus cart or one that plugs into a usually non-cartridge port on the back of a CPC?
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Rhino

Quote from: AHack on 15:23, 07 May 19

... I came to the conclusion that my own project, which is based on Dropzone/Defender is miles better than what a C64 or Atari 800 could achieve. And that is good enough for me. I was so tempted to just say lets use 128KB and really add more effects and such. But my goals from the start was to make one of the best 64KB games ever, overcoming memory contrainst as a challenge and I think I'm reaching those goals.

My conclusion is we could all jump at the chance of using extra memory but that would be at the cost of never pushing the boundries of what can be achieved on a 64KB game and 64KB games should never be judged against a 128KB games because that would be unfair.
It's good that everyone has their own goals, also, 64kb games have the advantage of being able to participate in contests like CPCRetroDev!
I have always been more motivated to develop for 6128 just because it was the computer I had in my childhood :)

But with Vespertino I want to get as much as I can on CPC, even if it means using a cartridge for the full version. Highly acclaimed games from other platforms, such as the great Sam's Journey from C64, use cartridges of 512kb or more (if I'm not mistaken). This is natural on other 8bit platforms and if today that technology is also available on CPC, why not try out how CPC performs in that category? I am aware that this experiment will not please everyone, but I think it is worth a try!

Rhino

Quote from: Carnivius on 16:48, 07 May 19
am bit confused about the cartridge thing.  What kind of cart is it?  A typical GX/Plus cart or one that plugs into a usually non-cartridge port on the back of a CPC?
There are several possibilities today, I think the most popular is the Dandanator, sincerely we have not yet made the tests nor decided which one we will use.

AHack

Quote from: Rhino on 16:53, 07 May 19
It's good that everyone has their own goals, also, 64kb games have the advantage of being able to participate in contests like CPCRetroDev!
I have always been more motivated to develop for 6128 just because it was the computer I had in my childhood :)

But with Vespertino I want to get as much as I can on CPC, even if it means using a cartridge for the full version. Highly acclaimed games from other platforms, such as the great Sam's Journey from C64, use cartridges of 512kb or more (if I'm not mistaken). This is natural on other 8bit platforms and if today that technology is also available on CPC, why not try out how CPC performs in that category? I am aware that this experiment will not please everyone, but I think it is worth a try!

We all have our own goals which is great for the community :) I may look into that CPCRetroDev contest... thanks for bringing it to my attention.

My childhood computer was a CPC464 which I learnt to program on... since then I've been a commercial games coder for over 30 years but the Amstrad is dear to my heart. I was alway jealous of my C64 friends but little did we know back then what the hidden talents of the Amstrad had ;)

ASiC

I am all for using modern expansions on old kit as long as don't change the "character" of it. For example, I am a big advocate of memory expansions, rom cartridges and feature adding boards, like the M4.

I'd love to have software taking advantage of the PlayCity. Although it extends the sound capabilities, it is still AY sound coming off of it.

When core components are being replaced (CPUs, graphics chipsets etc) it's "nope thank you".

Expansions like Vampire, VBXE, new ULA although impressive, I don't see the benefit.

TotO

Quote from: ASiC on 18:00, 07 May 19I'd love to have software taking advantage of the PlayCity. Although it extends the sound capabilities, it is still AY sound coming off of it.
Me too, at less to be able to have music and sfx at the same time! (the CTC-AY offered a cartridge slot like MSX and a 6ch AY for any games with rasters interrupt using the Z80 CTC)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

menegator

asertus

Quote from: Rhino on 22:12, 05 May 19
HD Teaser

https://youtu.be/YAcd47eUZF4

:o  So many people mining bitcoins with nvidia cards when, probably, @Rhino would be able to do the same with some CRTC tricks of his...  ;)  Looking forward to Amstrad bitcoin miner by BG ...

CraigsBar

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:01, 07 May 19
I worry that pinball dreams will never see a release, very concerned [emoji45]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too. Such an epic game only to be played by a select few [emoji24]

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

tjohnson

Quote from: asertus on 13:05, 08 May 19

:o  So many people mining bitcoins with nvidia cards when, probably, @Rhino would be able to do the same with some CRTC tricks of his...  ;)  Looking forward to Amstrad bitcoin miner by BG ...

LOL bitcoin mining on an amstrad cpc

villain

Quote from: CraigsBar on 11:44, 09 May 19
Me too. Such an epic game only to be played by a select few

Maybe @Rhino can tell us the latest news?

khaz

I can't wait to see more of the game

khaz

Quote from: Rhino on 16:59, 07 May 19
There are several possibilities today, I think the most popular is the Dandanator, sincerely we have not yet made the tests nor decided which one we will use.

While the Dandanator is a nifty device, I believe it's the wrong approach regarding the connection to a CPC. It would be more interesting to have an additional middleware, a passive "cartridge reader" that connects to the back of the CPC and with a standard-sized socket facing up. That would allow for cheap cartridges to be manufactured with a simple edge connector, as the uncommon sockets needed for the CPC would have to only be bought once by the user.

ukmarkh

Quote from: tjohnson on 13:05, 09 May 19

LOL bitcoin mining on an amstrad cpc

1p a year mining [emoji23]

norecess464

Looks very promising, well done Rhino!
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

pelrun

Quote from: khaz on 19:34, 09 May 19
While the Dandanator is a nifty device, I believe it's the wrong approach regarding the connection to a CPC. It would be more interesting to have an additional middleware, a passive "cartridge reader" that connects to the back of the CPC and with a standard-sized socket facing up. That would allow for cheap cartridges to be manufactured with a simple edge connector, as the uncommon sockets needed for the CPC would have to only be bought once by the user.

You're describing the MotherX4 and all the peripherals that already use it :)

It's trivially easy to support both configurations, the only difference is using either an edge connector or a 2.54mm pin header on the cart. I'm already converting my Repoker De Ases cart over, as my 6128 doesn't have edge connectors anymore...

zeropolis79

Quote from: CraigsBar on 11:44, 09 May 19
Me too. Such an epic game only to be played by a select few

That would be a pity.. I'd really love to play it..

TotO

Quote from: pelrun on 06:46, 11 May 19You're describing the MotherX4 and all the peripherals that already use it :)
Before the MotherX4 was the CTC-AY. An interface with extra hardware to have a cartridge slot, 6ch AY sound and raster lines interrupts:
Spoiler: ShowHide

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/ctc-ay-a-new-cpc-expansion-board!/

Here a 2012 prototype running Renegade:

And Relentless in 2013:

khaz

Quote from: pelrun on 06:46, 11 May 19

You're describing the MotherX4 and all the peripherals that already use it :)

Not quite, as the MotherX4 expects male pins, which can be easily bent or broken if not careful or after several insertion cycles. I'm proposing the design found in every cartridge-based console, in which the cartridge is a simple, cheap, foolproof edge connector.

ukmarkh

I just want it in .CRT format, so we can run it on our C4CPC.

viddi

Quote from: ukmarkh on 15:22, 11 May 19
I just want it in .CRT format, so we can run it on our C4CPC.

Second that!

TotO

You want... But, may be they would like to sold it as a cartridge game package to have some profits?

Duke

Quote from: TotO on 16:07, 11 May 19
You want... But, may be they would like to sold it as a cartridge game package to have some profits?
Sell it on a microSD card, so it can autoboot using C4CPC or M4 :) - Cheapest distribution form beside a digital download, with a wide user base (650+ for M4 alone).

viddi

Quote from: TotO on 16:07, 11 May 19

Don't see a contradiction in that!