News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Yie Ar Kung Fu 3

Started by sigh, 15:53, 05 March 15

Previous topic - Next topic

sigh

If there was a Yie Ar Kung Fu 3, what would you like to see?

Just for the word - I am not looking to make it.

Would it be 2D or 3D? Would it play more like the first version, the second version, or something vastly different like a scroller?
How many players would it have?
What area or era would it be set in?

For me -I would like the engine to be like Rival Schools, but have the gameplay of Way Of The Exploding Fist with an emphasis on blocks and dodges to give it an old school feel.

The Victim [1980] - Leung Kar Yan vs Wilson Tong

Also like fist - if you get hit once then you are instantly KO'ed.

sigh

Sorry for the bump, but I was watching Xyphoe play Yie Ar Kung Fu 2 yesterday and it's a game that strayed very far from the original. The game has very dodgy collision detection and doesn't have a blocking system. I actually think that with a few gameplay tweaks it could be a very enjoyable game. You wouldn't even need to add any extra moves - just keep the ones that are already there, but add in more inbetween frames of animation to smooth out the movement to make them easier to anticipate, improve the collision detection, bring back the original Yie Ar Kung fu high jump and add in a block.
Did anyone enjoy Yie Ar Kung Fu 2?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: sigh on 16:46, 29 August 20
Sorry for the bump, but I was watching Xyphoe play Yie Ar Kung Fu 2 yesterday and it's a game that strayed very far from the original. The game has very dodgy collision detection and doesn't have a blocking system. I actually think that with a few gameplay tweaks it could be a very enjoyable game. You wouldn't even need to add any extra moves - just keep the ones that are already there, but add in more inbetween frames of animation to smooth out the movement to make them easier to anticipate, improve the collision detection, bring back the original Yie Ar Kung fu high jump and add in a block.
Did anyone enjoy Yie Ar Kung Fu 2?
I'm known for having a penchant to play a game as much as I can regardless of how bad it is.
I actually enjoyed it, although it's nowhere near as polished as the original. The CD is woeful, but once you find out the sweet spots and weak points of each enemy, it's not too challenging save for one or two enemies. Wen-Hu and Li-Jen were the only two who posed any significant threat. The game is badly bugged too, sometimes the game will crash, and sometimes the enemies don't move allowing you to kick the living stuffing out of them.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

sigh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 17:48, 29 August 20I'm known for having a penchant to play a game as much as I can regardless of how bad it is. I actually enjoyed it, although it's nowhere near as polished as the original. The CD is woeful, but once you find out the sweet spots and weak points of each enemy, it's not too challenging save for one or two enemies. Wen-Hu and Li-Jen were the only two who posed any significant threat. The game is badly bugged too, sometimes the game will crash, and sometimes the enemies don't move allowing you to kick the living stuffing out of them.
What would you change in Yie Ar Kung Fu 2 if it was to be remade?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: sigh on 20:26, 29 August 20What would you change in Yie Ar Kung Fu 2 if it was to be remade?
- Collision Detection would be first. It needs to be fixed. The graphics are actually decent enough and resemble the original, sprites wise but the backgrounds could be cleaned up.
- I'd make it 128k only and add in the tunes as well and the backgrounds missing (it's missing two out of the four backgrounds).
- Fix the bugs in the game, like the aforementioned crashing and the non responding enemies.
- I believe the CPC version misses some of the enemies. To be fair, the original YAKF had this issue too and didn't stop the show.

That's off the top of my head anyway.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Cholo

Yie Ar Kung Fu 2 isnt too bad a game actually, especially as most players probably never tried the 2 player mode at all. The game does have some very intuitive controls too and i do wonder that if this game had had a arcade release perhaps we would have a Yie Ar Kung Fu series of games as strong as Street Fighter & Mortal Kombat. Not only because of the controls but also the "new" ideas presented in the game.

Like having 4 controllable chars of whom 3 also has like "Street Fighter fireball" like skills wasnt really seen before. I mean Lan-Fang may very well be the first ever controllable female char in a "street firghter" type game & has a "fireball" too (not counting Typhoon Gal (a Final Fight-like Beat em up & Metroid (platformer)). Before Yie 2 most games with a 2/multiplayer mode just copied the main char with a different colour shirt.

Anyways, seen in a 25 year hindsight the teenager version of me would have really like all the chars to be controllable. Probably could have been done fairly simple if it was for memory issues. I mean the 4 playable chars is the 4 chars loaded in with the main game. But today if the game was to be remade or a new game was made id make sure the single player mode would work properly of cause ( i think anyone including myself dosnt plays 8bit multiplayer anymore)

Controls could certainly need an update. As mentioned the controls are quite intuative, like if you want to kick low you press the  to buttons in that direction (firebotton not needed), this also means you can actually immediately kick in the opposite direction than the enemy. On paper this is pointless in 1 player mode, but in 2 player mode its one of the things that balances things out as the main char can jump & bounce off the sides doing some crazy neck aimed attacks & the "enemy" char cant jump out of the way, so the instant attack helps. However the dual botton controls also mean you have a lot of "Renegade failed flying kick rage" moments. So modern/updated controls would be a big plus.

Not really sure if the game actually needs blocking. Yie 2 does have ducking & the main char can jump too (this is what balances the 2P games), if blocking was implemented then the enemies should then also have "jump" skill to even out things. Jumping would also mean you can "catch people off guard when landing" like in Yie 1 & SF2.

Yie 2 can also seem a bit "basic" as it dosnt have as many attacks as Yie1, but im atually going to say that is actually a good thing because most people only use 2-3 attacks anyway. Like if you see people play Yie1, IK/+ etc. they dont use all the attacks anyway. SF2 may have 6 keys but basicly its just 2 keys a punch & a kick (same with MK etc.). Just being a 8bit game you might as well just "cut to the bone" & stick with just the basic attacks only. All theoretically speaking of cause. Just a quick braindump  ;)