News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New platform game in the works! - The Lost Treasure of Cuauhtemoc

Started by sad1942, 02:12, 28 February 15

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Quote from: sad1942 on 14:44, 03 March 15
they are not mockups  ;D 
Actually player have dark-blue hairs  ;)
we´ve finished all the screens and now we´re working on moving platforms, doors, enemies,etc.
OK, so you shown different WIP versions screens. :D
Sure, if all the maps are ready, no way to change the screen size. ;)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

Well, I like overscan more than underscan. If half of the screen is black then that's just... a bit too small IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, MODE 0 and 128 * 256 pixel is ok, but 128 * 192 is too small IMHO.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

McKlain

Quote from: arnoldemu on 10:07, 03 March 15Your team should take all the time they need. I think design it as you wish and don't listen too much to the wishes of people. Your team knows what they want :)
Do as you want and then the game is *your* vision and that will make you more happy then trying to make it into the game that other people want.

TotO

Quote from: TFM on 20:35, 03 March 15Don't get me wrong, MODE 0 and 128 * 256 pixel is ok, but 128 * 192 is too small IMHO.
This ratio will show a vertical screen for an horizontal game... Not good. ;)
Using 32x24 chars format had the advantage to be portable on other 8-bit machine too.
And nothing said if the screens shown only the playfield (no score, lives here) or really the full display...

By the way, has he said the map is already drawn.  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Misel982001

wow!!!! When is it going to be ready! It seems magnificent!

MacDeath

QuoteThis ratio will show a vertical screen for an horizontal game... Not good.
Using 32x24 chars format had the advantage to be portable on other 8-bit machine too.
Vast debate...

To me, a 256x192 + bigass HUD is good... vertical 64 pixels used for big cheesy game logo, devs logo and score/inventory/life meters and so on...
why not...

Those extra vertical 64 lines may tke some RAM as VRAM but don't actually take too much CPU, do they ?

No need to scroll them, few things to refresh/modify... but ok, the more border = the more freed CPU time I guess.
And 64 lines of graphics may make quite de difference when running the game in 64K.

TFM

128 pixel in X (MODE 0) do waste a third of the usable area. I personally don't care much about porting to other systems (we got enough people doing that, and got enough ports already). Using the visible area is an advantage. And of course some limitations make things more smooth in some cases. It's always a trade off, that's what makes 8 bit so cool!  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

The problem is the fixed clock... A Super Nintendo display the "same" in full screen.  ;D
A good compromise is "288x224" used on some 8-bit arcade games like Ghosts'N Goblins. (32K RAM on CPC)
By the way, this new game is already designed, so it is no more the place to speak about that.

arnoldemu

On the subject of why certain coding choices are made:

When my next game is released I will give an analysis of the memory used, cpu used and why the decisions were made.
Perhaps this will answer a lot of questions people have and use this to guage why other people have done similar things.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

pacomix

oh my god! That looks superb! Regarding the size of the display I don't care. It's not really important. I have seen games in overscan that are really boring. If the game is funny and good the screen size is not important.

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 08:28, 04 March 15
The problem is the fixed clock... A Super Nintendo display the "same" in full screen.  ;D
A good compromise is "288x224" used on some 8-bit arcade games like Ghosts'N Goblins. (32K RAM on CPC)
That's pretty much what I have in mind. IMHO for the CPC the best resolution is (in MODE 0) in X: 208 pixel.
And in Y: 288 scan lines. The makes about 30 KB and it's all visible. Ok, in X it's a bit over the border, but that's needed for scrolling, so nobody sees when new pixels / bytes actually get shuffled in.

Quote from: TotO on 08:28, 04 March 15
By the way, this new game is already designed, so it is no more the place to speak about that.
Don't leave the way of light. Try to improve things, even if the resistance it bone crushing. [nb]If you disagree the please watch Robot War and read again.  :laugh: [/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft

Puresox

Looks great from my POV. Appreciate the work.

TFM

ditto!  :)  Looking forward for a release.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Sykobee (Briggsy)

It looks great!

I'd far rather see a finished playable pretty 128x192 game than an unfinished overscan megagame :-)

sad1942

TotO

Thanks god, finaly a game that use a not lasy way to move/jump the player!  ;)

McKlain

Carnivius

Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Trebmint

Its looks great, and it appear it will also play great. So many CPC games didn't seem to care about the character movement. Looks like you've tweaked it until it feels and looks correct. Great stuff. I cant wait to play it

Morri

Looks amazing. Indiana Jones and Rick Dangerous have some new competition for those lost treasures! I wonder what our new adventurers name is?
First guess - ADAM VENTURA (sounds like adventurer!)  ;D
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

VincentGR

Quote from: Morri on 16:54, 06 March 15

I wonder what our new adventurers name is?
First guess - ADAM VENTURA (sounds like adventurer!)  ;D

That would be an awesome idea, we sould find a name and then vote  ;D ;D ;D

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

QuoteADAM VENTURA (sounds like adventurer!)
Well done captain Obvious, you saved the day. :laugh:

anyway, please excuse us for begging for 128k version, it is the usual rent from us, don't take it too seriously.
Just try to make the bast game you can and this is all we ask you.

Kris

Looks really pretty, hope to see it soon on my CPCs :)

Morri

Quote from: MacDeath on 11:08, 09 March 15
Well done captain Obvious, you saved the day. :laugh:

:P
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977