News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New text adventure - "Tristam Island"

Started by hlabrande, 17:19, 25 November 20

Previous topic - Next topic

hlabrande

Hello everyone,

I just released "Tristam Island" a new text adventure game for the Amstrad CPC and PCW, as well as 34 other platforms! The game is available at hlabrande.itch.io/tristam-island

It's a classic text adventure, made in the mold of Infocom's games. After crashing your plane at sea, you end up drifting to a small island, with not much to survive. You explore, and find out the island was inhabited, years ago. But why did the people leave? And why is there a fence around the white house at the top of the hill?

The game comes with a hint sheet and a feelie (a postcard set in the game's universe). There probably will be a physical release, but I don't have more information about it right now. It's a rather long game (7-10 hours of gameplay), but the difficulty isn't too bad; the game is very forgiving and won't lock you out of victory (if so, it's a bug, let me know!).

The game came out on Friday, but I didn't post here before because I wasn't very happy with the loader screen. I updated it today and it looks much better, at least I think.

Let me know if you have any questions, and enjoy the game!

robcfg

Welcome to the forum!

I'm impressed at the number of ports you've made of you game.

I'd like to ask if the Tandy CoCo version could be made to work on the Dragon, as they are basically the same machine, and if that version has any kind of graphics or if they are text only.

Cheers,
Rob

hlabrande

Thank you!  :)
The CoCo version doesn't have any graphics (only Amstrad CPC (not PCW), C64, BBC Micro, TI-99/4A, MSX, Amiga, Atari ST, DOS).
I had looked into the Dragon, but I never got anywhere unfortunately. But I don't know much about making it work on that computer - just that my game didn't seem to run on it. You're welcome to try!  :D

genesis8

At his web page, there is a link to the demo version which is the first chapter if you want to try the game before buying it (3,99 euros).

Nich

Quote from: hlabrande on 21:13, 25 November 20
The CoCo version doesn't have any graphics (only Amstrad CPC (not PCW), C64, BBC Micro, TI-99/4A, MSX, Amiga, Atari ST, DOS).
I had looked into the Dragon, but I never got anywhere unfortunately. But I don't know much about making it work on that computer - just that my game didn't seem to run on it. You're welcome to try!  :D

The Amstrad CPC version has graphics? The demo version on the CPC uses the Infocom Z-machine interpreter (which I always believed was text only), so does the full version use a different interpreter?

Nich

Quote from: robcfg on 20:41, 25 November 20
I'm impressed at the number of ports you've made of you game.

That's one of the advantages of the Z-machine platform. :) Many Z-machine interpreters already exist for different machines so it's relatively easy to port the adventure to them.

hlabrande

Thank you genesis8 - I am a terrible salesman if I forget to mention there is a free demo :D
Nich: sorry, in my reply I was talking about loader screens, the only image potentially on the disk. Of course once the loader screen is shown, the game boots to a Z-Machine interpreter, and there are no pictures. And yes, publishing the game on that many platforms definitely relies heavily on existing interpreters - although there was a fair bit of interpreter herding, and in some cases tweaking and recompiling, I did not have to learn to program on 36 different machines :D

Gryzor

Argh :( Itch.io is blocked at work!

Anyone's played it yet?

GUNHED

Nice game!  :)  Would be great to have Speak support for such games anyway.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

ZbyniuR

Tandy CoCo version 1 and 2 have shity graphics modes. But version 3 with 128K have the same CRTC and 3 modes as CPC, but with better palette 64 colors. You should know main board for CPC was took from this computer. :)
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.