News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

RetroDev 2020 - Reviews!

Started by Targhan, 01:50, 15 November 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Targhan

Ok, here is my review of all the games of this RetroDev 2020! The games were tested on a real CPC 6128 with no hardware except an HxC. Don't hesitate to comment and write your own reviews!

But first of all, I must raise a warning about DSKs that simply do NOT work on a real CPC. Come on guys, some DSKs haven't been tested at all!

The awards for "not working DSKs" go to...
Karting Garden (45kb files do NOT load on any CPC!!!! I tried the CDT in Winape, it also crashes. Disappointing!!)
Looped
MoonBreak
Ovni Samurai
Raven Squad
RYM
Shoot and Run (switched to Tape after the intro, yay)
Speeb

As for my reviews, FROM BEST TO WORST:

------------------
The abduction of Oscar Z

Excellent graphics and music (quite original too). Simple but flawless gameplay, the character controls are excellent. I like stealing and using that flying soccer! A very, very good game that deserved the first position.

------------------
Throne Legacy

Wow, it seems we have a very good adventure game here! And once again with Arnaud, a ranking far below the quality of his games... The graphics are quite good, with big sprites and very interesting details (I love the "eyes" when moving in the dark!). I bought a crowbar (the store is on the right) and opened a few doors, but got stuck when I put my torch on a "holder" but couldn't get it back (a gameplay flaw?). This is a game you must try!! And I'll make another try right away too.

------------------
Sokoban Within

A top-notch realization! Excellent music from Zik (loved the Prince of Persia cover!!), great fullscreen graphics (wonderful title screen!). The game itself is your classic Sokoban, no big surprise here. My only gripe is that the character moves square by square. Come on, this in 2020 and you guys are demomakers, I'm sure you could have put a few more animation steps!! Great work nonetheless.

------------------
Sorcerer

I admit this one didn't click with me as much as with all you guys, apparently. The graphic is pretty good, the music is enjoyable and lively but very repetitive and got on my nerves after a few minutes. The concept is interesting, but it's quite easy to get one coin too much and have to restart the whole sequence, making the game actually irritating. So I stopped on level 2... The tips are a great idea though.

------------------
CPC Nvaders

An excellent surprise, especially for a Basic game! Playable, enjoyable, with a good difficulty curve. Even good sound effects, a bit of music, and a great introduction and packaging. Really impressive!

------------------
Miss Input 2

Exactly like the first one (from memory...), that is a very nice platformer with enjoyable gravity mechanics. Won't win any originality points, but the gameplay is solid. The music is rather of a let-down though.

------------------
Fips tale

I like it very much (and finished it!). The minimalist graphics are very nice. Simple but effective gameplay. I liked the combat sequences, though it seems that one tactic always works (attack and retreat). Good work!

------------------
Anima

Very good introduction and great title screen. Ingame graphics are good, nice music. The tutorial is an excellent idea. The game itself is ok but gets dull after a few levels. Overall it's a well done game but there is no grab factor, to me.

------------------
Fire Tyre

As expected with CNGSoft, the technical aspect is very good. The title screen is especially striking. The game itself is very well polished, with two honorable music conversions, a decent framerate and good graphics. The game sadly gets boring after one lap. However, the game was apparently done in one week, which is quite a feat!

------------------
Promotion

A barely decent platformer which only originality is where the action happens. The music is simply arranged but pretty good nonetheless. How could this game ends up 4th??

------------------
Goat Fish

Technically interesting (nice "fish eye" effect!), I managed to finish it. I also liked the out-of-the-sea jump. All in all, a nice little game, sadly too simple and short.

------------------
Space Cowboy In Lost Planet

A powered-up "Obsidian"-like. The concept is great, the physic is good (I especially like the skids on the floor after braking). But I admit I got stuck after a few screens... The music is the weak point of the game (besides my being stuck!).

------------------
Penguin Cross

A decent Frogger-like. Strange that the character doesn't scroll along the moving object he's standing on... Oh well. Decent graphics, lousy music.

------------------
Project Atheliere

Classic "miss input 2"-like, but not as good. Enjoyable nonetheless. The music is pretty bad though.

------------------
Ama My Retro

Visually crude at first, but actually a pretty decent and furious shooter. Too bad there is no music or sound! Oh, and a bug: At level 10, the game begins to freeze like hell.

------------------
1to1 soccer

I like the simple graphics and the scrolling is rather smooth. I only tested the solo mode, but the gameplay doesn't seem very interesting. If you get the ball you'll win by simply going to the opponent's goal, it's impossible for the opponent to catch up with you. And the opposite when he has the ball... So it's not really fun after 15s. But I liked the technical aspect.

------------------
Bubble Shark

Not great, but I admit I started enjoying it once I understood I had to stay in the middle of the screen to shoot quicker. I liked the submarines and scubby divers on the next levels. Then... the game crashed on level 6... !

------------------
Stroopie

Strangely addictive ultra-simple Basic game, but it managed to hook me for 10 minutes.

------------------
Taco vs Patos

A small one-screen shooter, with decent music and graphics. I got bored after 2 levels though.

------------------
MemTrainer

A "Simon" game with an below-than-average realization, but not so bad for what seems to be mostly Basic (watch out, you have to wait a long time after the title screen). Funny if you like that type of game.

------------------
Hyperspace

A small shooter. Nothing outstanding, but playable.

------------------
Amstron

A good idea (I like the intro) even though not original, but too slow and blocky to be funny, sadly. The IA is not a decent opponent enough. OK music.

------------------
Istradarion

Basically a BomberMan in Basic. Pretty well done for Basic, a lot of options here and a decent framerate. However, you need to be at least two to have fun with it...

------------------
Babylon Flotilla

Very very simple gameplay, sadly too simple and repetitive. No sound, childish graphics... A good entry at learning to code, shall we say.

------------------
Cell Block

Ultra simple, could probably be a good example of "how to code a first code", which in itself, is good. The "prince of persia" level made me laugh, at least :).

In no special order:

------------------
Raman man

The typical platformer a student would do when he has no idea about what to do. Move along...

------------------
The cursed fort

I admit I didn't like this one. I like the "choose your own adventure" type, but this is really too slow. I killed my first opponent (not really knowing how), then got killed by the Indian tribe, and had too restart all over again... and didn't feel I wanted to.

------------------
Go away Viking

Way too simple to entertain me, sorry. Viking and ETs though?? Quite an original mix.

------------------
Fitzroy Goes Sweeping

Ok... I fully admit I didn't understand anything I had to do. I manage to "deploy" some of my characters around islands, but then... what to do?? I really didn't want to delve into a manual to play, I always thought it was up to the game to be clear enough and give indications about what to do... Right?

------------------
JumperMan

Not good, I'm sorry.

------------------
Jungle Jump

The file can NOT be loaded on a real CPC because of the underscore in it!!! The game itself is rather, hmmmm, not good at all. The music would also drive anyone crazy after 2mns, so I stopped the game before that (level 2 is impossible anyway).

------------------
Liam's Awakening

There is an attempt at a storyline, but the gameplay is too simple and the level too uninteresting to make this game enjoyable.

------------------
Slimy

Funny concept but nothing is made for it to be funny for more than 10s.

------------------
Setback

A not interesting at all one-screen platformer. The music is... non-musical.

------------------
Shoot to move

Absolutely buggy and unplayable. The first time I tried it, the MENU CRASHED.

------------------
Paranormal street raider

A bad platformer, nothing to save (especially not the music).

------------------
The castaway of Valhalla

One more go-to-the-exit platformer... Nothing really interesting, sadly.

------------------
The Hero

The same as just above, with "music".

------------------
Vandal Box

The same as just above, but better because the character can stack boxes...

------------------
Water turtle

A terrible game with no gameplay at all.

----------
LuzAzul
No DSK!!! Sorry, I won't test this.

This is it! So, I guess, not a bad batch at all this year, though I'm pretty sure I won't play any of these games again, except for The Abduction of Oscar Z and of course, Throne Legacy.

Your reviews, now... :)
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

awergh

I might see if I can write some feedback for some of the games this year once I get to playing them.
Usually I write some comments for myself but they aren't all that useful.

Quote from: Targhan on 01:50, 15 November 20Fitzroy Goes Sweeping

Ok... I fully admit I didn't understand anything I had to do. I manage to "deploy" some of my characters around islands, but then... what to do?? I really didn't want to delve into a manual to play, I always thought it was up to the game to be clear enough and give indications about what to do... Right?
This is totally a fair comment as there should be at least some guidance in the game on how to play.
User interactions and interfaces are somewhat difficult to get right.
Really I had this problem with last years game but it wasn't quite as bad.
Hopefully I can provide some improvements to the experience although it probably will never be described intuitive.
If I ever do try to make another strategy game in this style I will have to carefully consider the interface and interactions (first time for everything :P ).

prototano

Quote from: Targhan on 01:50, 15 November 20Promotion

A barely decent platformer which only originality is where the action happens. The music is simply arranged but pretty good nonetheless. How could this game ends up 4th??

Thank you for your feedback.
I think the way the games are scored favored us. Our game is not the best in any aspect, but it is quite decent in all.

I haven't tried many games yet, but I think Miss Input 2 and Fire Tyre should ended above Promotion.

Throne Legacy Isn't my kind of game and I think that the format of the contest doesn't make shine that kind of games but he managed to be 6th. Arnaud has all my respects.

Anyway, In my case, this is my first game ever. I think is improvable. My mates and me still have a lot to learn. :)

krusty_benediction

Nice feed back and congratulations to have taken time to play all

QuoteCome on, this in 2020 and you guys are demomakers, I'm sure you could have put a few more animation steps!!
Of course, but everything is a question of trade off. More levels ? improvement of the game ? It seems that lots of Sokoban game have such block movement, so a smoother one was not in the priority queue. We also had to remove some nice graphics.
With my current choices I have only 0x42 bytes available (it could be more by using memory screen bytes that are not visible on screen). All memory is taken by stack, code, data (sprites, 179 levels, strings), 32kb of screen

AMSDOS

I'd agree CPC Invaders was impressive for a BASIC game, but it was too difficult for my liking. I'm the guy who played Babylon Flotilla for over an hour, which had better difficulty setting and liked the simple graphics, could have done with some Sound FXs, but at least it didn't come with any noise.

I wouldn't say I was a crack shot with those Invader style games!
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Arnaud

Quote from: prototano on 04:17, 15 November 20Throne Legacy Isn't my kind of game and I think that the format of the contest doesn't make shine that kind of games but he managed to be 6th. Arnaud has all my respects.
@prototano thanks a lot.

Effectively the format of this contest may promote quick to play games and less rpg or adventure that needs to take time to play (and especially to evaluate)
The main goal to submit my game to this contest was to show it and i think it's the best place for that.
I also really like to participate to the award ceremony.

@Targhan great review, thank you also.

Quote from: Targhan on 01:50, 15 November 20but got stuck when I put my torch on a "holder" but couldn't get it back (a gameplay flaw?)

It's a game design choice, i wanted to create "safe place" room with infinite light when torch was lighted. In this case you have a chance to going back even without torch.
But i have to think about taking torch on holder, i saw on video people trying to take a torch in this way because it's logical.
The torch taken will be in hand but nearly consumed, it could be a deal and keep needs to buy new torch but it's taking risk to have whole castle in dark, it's dangerous ;D

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 01:50, 15 November 20But first of all, I must raise a warning about DSKs that simply do NOT work on a real CPC. Come on guys, some DSKs haven't been tested at all!

While I was running through the games I also noticed some DSK's simply not working. I brought this to the attention of the jury. They replied that a DSK is not mandatory for the contest. Participants only have to provide a working CDT. So if a DSK is included that doesn't work, it doesn't affect anything whatsoever. The jury is always only loading the CDT anyway.

TotO

Quote from: mr_lou on 11:02, 15 November 20Participants only have to provide a working CDT. So if a DSK is included that doesn't work, it doesn't affect anything whatsoever. The jury is always only loading the CDT anyway.
It is well known that CPC are only 64K + Tape, but peoples use CDT with fast loading. :-\

I like a lot two games from this contest and they are ranked first and last.  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Targhan

Quote from: mr_lou on 11:02, 15 November 20While I was running through the games I also noticed some DSK's simply not working. I brought this to the attention of the jury. They replied that a DSK is not mandatory for the contest.
Yeah, I was told that too. But then, I think I prefer no DSK than a DSK that cannot load :). And I think providing a DSK will push people to use their real CPC. Now they'll just drag'n'drop a SNA or CDT in an emulator instead...
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

roudoudou

Quote from: TotO on 11:11, 15 November 20
It is well known that CPC are only 64K + Tape, but peoples use CDT with fast loading. :-\
CDT, fast loading AND emulator, so it does not work better on a real CPC...
In a programming university, you must learn the difference between developpement, beta-testing and production. They miss the last step
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Norman

Thanks for testing all the games @Targhan, and thanks for the nice feedback (so I move up four places, hehe). I agree, the combat system (among other things) should've gotten some more love, but I ran out of time  :)

Cheers

skylas

Quote from: Targhan on 01:50, 15 November 20

------------------
Stroopie

Strangely addictive ultra-simple Basic game, but it managed to hook me for 10 minutes.

Thx for your review and the 18th place!  :D :D
You constantly offer reviews every year, thats important as feedback is necessary for everyone, especially for the last in order games.
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET!, PENALTY KICKS!, CAPITAL QUIZ!, CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition), HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ), HEART CHASER 1,2,3!, BARBOUTI!, STROOPIE!, AMSTABOO!
TEXT ADVENTURES:
BUDRUMI!, ART WAR!, BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!, RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE 1 and 2!

Targhan

Quote from: skylas on 12:36, 15 November 20You constantly offer reviews every year, thats important as feedback is necessary for everyone, especially for the last in order games.
If I'd knew that, I would have written more extensive reviews! :)
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

tulinmola

Quote from: Targhan on 01:50, 15 November 20The abduction of Oscar Z

Excellent graphics and music (quite original too). Simple but flawless gameplay, the character controls are excellent. I like stealing and using that flying soccer! A very, very good game that deserved the first position.

Thank you very very very much @Targhan !! And of course for your amazing AK2. With its subsongs feature we could add much more details to it :)

Targhan

Quote from: tulinmola on 13:20, 15 November 20And of course for your amazing AK2. With its subsongs feature we could add much more details to it
Thanks! Yes, I just hacked your music to record them for the Roland Radio (hope it's ok if I do so), and noticed you used the subsongs :).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

tulinmola

Quote from: Targhan on 13:34, 15 November 20Thanks! Yes, I just hacked your music to record them for the Roland Radio (hope it's ok if I do so), and noticed you used the subsongs .

Of course it is OK!! I was going to do it by myself as soon as I could. But I prefer you doing that because you will do it much better. For sure! I'd be so proud of having that music in Roland Radio... Thanks!!

Ps. Great you hacked it, haha. But if you want the aks files just ask for them!

Targhan

I knew there were MP3s in the package file, but I wasn't sure whether they were recorded from the hardware or simple AKS export, so...

Quote from: tulinmola on 13:41, 15 November 20Ps. Great you hacked it, haha. But if you want the aks files just ask for them!
Well, Twitter didn't let me send messages to any of you and I didn't know your nickname here (till now) so... It was faster to hack :).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Nich

ukmarkh

My new review for fire Tyre on the amstrad CPC! Is it better than Outrun  :laugh:

https://youtu.be/9hewAmj5JL8

Otto

Quote from: Nich on 12:19, 17 November 20
I've written and uploaded reviews of six of this year's #CPCRetroDev games to CPC Game Reviews:
And two more from the Cpc-Retro-Dev 2020. Thanks a lot, Nich !
And Merry Christmas to you all.

MacDeath

Nice reviews Thahrhghanh.
Was a great year indeed.

Just a reminder that a CPCretrodev page was created for the CPCwiki.

Please feel free to imrpove it, I created it Fast and dirty.

The event's history and peoples involved should be more detailed and have a better redaction ormore complete infos...
(my memory was limited to 64k, I should have plugged my X-MEM and X-MASS)

Also would be nice to have properly framed charts but I suck at Wiki-editing those days (where are the templates ?) and perhaps some proper pictures to illustrate.

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/CPCRetroDev