News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Ninja Carnage - Translators wanted

Started by Kristof, 23:45, 20 June 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Hi all,

We are currently finishing the developpement of "Ninja Carnage", a "semi graphic/text - Point & Click - Die and retry" game composed of 29 levels.
2 sides of disks.
Quite all is finished, some graphic work is still ongoing. The game is today fully in french.

I'm looking for translators for any langages (else than french or english).
The game is quite original and funny.
A presentation video of the game (in french, the auto translation are working fine) :

https://youtu.be/JpmKE_uQdqE

The translation work is quite important. there are about 400 sentences (10 000 words).
There are 128 different deaths for the ninja  :o :o :o :o

Translation tools are ready. All texts are in a google sheet document, with a first automatic translation, pictures and comments to help understand what is happening.
If you want to help, do not hesitate to contact me.

(png attachements are not working at the moment, I can show the tools to anyone interested).

SkulleateR

How many Bitcoins do you offer   8)  ???

Just kiddin´ .... if there is english I could translate to german, contact me if needed ....

Vince

ça a l'air fantastique! 8)

There's a genre I didn't know existed, but sounds like my cup of tea!

I was about to say, I know a bit of German, but a native speaker, is, obviously, much better. Germany has a wonderful retro scene and there is no short supply of German retro-gamers.  :)

manossg

Since my french are abysmal, if there is an english version (and no deadline), I offer to help with a greek translation!

Mr. DVG

If you want, I can take care of the Italian translation! (translating from the English text possibly) :)

Gryzor

Can help with Greek too, assuming a font can be loaded.

Vince

This is great!

Not only for this game, but...

I always intend my games to have as many languages as possible so more people can play them. Perhaps I could ask the community for some help with my Football management game when it is done?

I'd like to support English, German, French, Dutch, Italian, Spanish and any other language that were possible.

Of course I might be limited due to space but as the game doesn't use too much English I think it will work out good.

If I am limited to space, I would like to provide people with the option to download a free digital version in their own language.  :)

GUNHED

Quote from: SkulleateR on 00:07, 21 June 20
How many Bitcoins do you offer   8) ???

Just kiddin´ .... if there is english I could translate to german, contact me if needed ....

German, not german. Please be correct... Sir, I may assist you if you be that kind (correction reading or what ever). Orion Prime was a huge job, but if it's not tooo much let me help.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

GUNHED

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:05, 21 June 20
Can help with Greek too, assuming a font can be loaded.

Getting a bit off topic here...

It would be great to have ONE character set in Greek, the we ALL can use for our productions. That would make thing more easy and the Greek language more supported.  :)

EDIT: Offtopic 2: Does somebody know the 5 or 10 most prominent languages of CPC owners? I mean the mother tongue of persons actually working with a CPC.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Kristof

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for all you answers.

Here are more details. First of all, and I must confess, I was a C64 guy back in time. CPC was very popular in France, but I get one only a few year ago. BUTTTT, my first game on a 8 bits computer is this one. I choosed the CPC  8) 8)  The game is coded with Cpc Telera in C, and I tool lot of pleasure coding it. The game use not firmware (I've adapted a Targhan disk read routine to Cpc Telera. Arnaud Bouche already have it also so it might be soon be available). The game is fully data driven, means I have a game engine and I load a binary level (a one block memory dump, which map automatically to C pointers to point to the game data, the texts and the graphics).
The 29 levels fit on two side of disk.
As I said, the texts are quit long. There is 400 sentences for about 10 000 words. 220 screens of texts and 128 different deaths.
The text is a real adventure in japan, with lot of cultural references, some reference to existing of dead people, some references to 80's movie or tv show and lot of humour.
This is why the translation means a bit of knowledge, to respect the original style (the ninja that player is helping speak very rude, like deadpool for example... but this is the funny part). There is a lot of variety in the jokes and insults used in the game.

I have one graphical font, there is no problem to change it to add specific characters for a langage, or use a brand new one for a greek version for instance.

Each langage will be a new disk. (because there is no space to handle several langages on a disk, all is full).

The translations tools handle all the work, the only job for translator is filling the google sheet document.

I can show you the quality of the automatic translation (the basis is nice, but still more than 40% of texts to correct and adapt).

I'm also planning other ports (like C64, maybe Amiga), so the texts will still be valid. Your work will be included in all ports (if you agree of course!)

It is a "no deadline" project, so everyone is welcomed. (and google sheet is made to be collaborative).

(You can see the translation tools here : https://www.gamopat-forum.com/t107781p90-ninja-carnage-sur-amstrad-cpc-80#3253795 )

I can not upload pictures here , I'll try again today.

Kristof

Here is the langage google sheet and the result of first automatic translation (from quite bad english version I've just made for 5 first sentences)

Spanish:

German:

Greek:

[/size]
Italien:
[/size]
[/size]
Dutch:
[/size]
[/size]
Japanese:
[/size]

Gryzor

I really lol'ed with the Greek results 😄

Mr. DVG

Quote from: Kristof on 16:41, 21 June 20
Here is the langage google sheet and the result of first automatic translation (from quite bad english version I've just made for 5 first sentences)

Italien:

Perfect!
In Italian I see that there is a lot of correction work to be done ... how do you access the tool to make changes? :D

manossg

No deadline, a possible miggy port and japanese references? Count me in, mate! :D

arkive

Yeah, the English translation is rather dreadful. I think what you should do first is find somebody to produce a quality English one, then people could provide other translations based on that.

jackic

Man, the Spanish translation is REALLY a carnage... XP

SkulleateR

As I said, count me in for the German translation, just leave me a PM .....

MiguelSky

Quote from: jackic on 22:15, 21 June 20
Man, the Spanish translation is REALLY a carnage... XP
Hahaha, that's for me. I'll fight that battle  ;D

Vince

I recommend *not to use automatic translation in first place.

It can be soooo wrong! You make more work for yourself, than, sending the full text in English to someone and then they translate to Spanish, German, Greek... +

Automatic google translate is ... Difficult.

So easy to lose whole meaning of sentence easily. English words have dual identities and 'false friends' can also be encountered.

I recommend you concentrate on a clean, clear, English translation 1st.

Then from this position you can produce brilliant translations to all other languages by sending this clean English document to volunteers here. So many people people English fluently as a second language.

If you are finding it hard to get a good English translation, there are some good, affordable translation services available online which are not so expensive.

Good luck. I do not mean to be negative. I want you to succeed!  8) 8) 8)

Gryzor

Quote from: GUNHED on 15:13, 21 June 20
Getting a bit off topic here...

It would be great to have ONE character set in Greek, the we ALL can use for our productions. That would make thing more easy and the Greek language more supported.  :)

Not sure what you mean by that?

Vince

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:20, 22 June 20
Not sure what you mean by that?

I'm not sure how it's going off topic if it is about translating into other languages?
---

I think GUNHED means: If someone can produce a Greek alphabet - character set, that the community could re-use for more than just this one game, then Greek could be supported by many more games.

Gryzor

I'm pretty sure someone produced a Greek alphabet thousands of years ago :D

There are a few charsets lying around - they have for decades now. But I fear they're not as stylish as to be used in a game, like the latin charset here.

Vince

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:47, 22 June 20
I'm pretty sure someone produced a Greek alphabet thousands of years ago :D
hee hee hee!  ;D

Gryzor also said:
There are a few charsets lying around - they have for decades now. But I fear they're not as stylish as to be used in a game, like the latin charset here.

And I reply:

Ah good stuff.

Personally I might cheat and just use a clean clear font for all languages. . .

I really like the style of the font used in this game, but sometimes making life easier for yourself isn't a bad thing!

Edit: I was trying to use the same quote twice and it didn't like it!

Kristof

Thanks guys for nice messages.
I'll be back when english translation will be done.
:P :P :P :P :P

Kristof

Hi guys,

The work have started for the english (and spanish) versions.
If any english native want to help by checking the texts, he'll be welcome.
Just sent me a private message and I'll grant you access to the google sheet document.