News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

North Star trainer

Started by Gryzor, 12:40, 07 August 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

I remembered North Star while reading something somewhere a few days back; used to really like this game back in the day, despite not getting too far. And for some reason it has stuck with me, for more than 30 years, that you needed to run it with |CPM :D

Anyhow, indeed it's quite hectic so I was wondering if anyone's got a trainer for it?

Johnny Olsen

https://cpcrulez.fr//forum/viewtopic.php?&f=10&t=2591

Gryzor

Oh, thanks mate. Let me quickly copy those here:
INVINCIBILITY : POKE &0CD0,&00
INFINITE OXYGEN : POKE &2B30,&00
INFINITE OXYGEN : POKE &2BE4,&00
INFINITE LIVES : POKE &290C,&3C

Unlimited lives
POKE &290C,&00
POKE &290D,&18

No enemies
POKE &231A,&C9

Lives
POKE &06F3,&xx ; xx = (00-09)

Level
POKE &06F2,&xx ; xx = (01-09)

Score
POKE &06EF,&xx ; xx = (00-99 BCD * 3)
POKE &06EE,&xx ; xx = (00-99 BCD * 3)
POKE &06ED,&xx ; xx = (00-99 BCD * 3)

Anyone knows how we can use pokes with RVM?

Shaun M. Neary

Myself and @CraigsBar high score chased each other on this one recently. Managed to get over 120,000 on 7 lives (you get an extra life every 50,000 points).

Crazy hard, but worth sticking with.
(I don't do cheats  ;D )
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

GUNHED

North Star, what a great game. Back the day I played it until true mastership. Need to play it again.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Gryzor

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 14:22, 07 August 20(I don't do cheats   )
Eh well, sometimes it's about exploring the game, not cheating per se. Good to know I'm not the only one to find it hard though!

XeNoMoRPH

I think RVM does not have the option to use pokes, another thing would be through the emulation of the Dandanator, this hardware does allow the introduction of pokes
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Nich

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:29, 07 August 20
Eh well, sometimes it's about exploring the game, not cheating per se. Good to know I'm not the only one to find it hard though!

@Novabug uploaded a longplay video of North Star to YouTube the other day and he admitted he had to use a cheat to complete the final level. ::)

Johnny Olsen

It is possible to poke with RVM.
Load Program press the button on the left, select Developer mode, now a hammer will appear, press it and select MEM.

That is cumbersome. If you want to play with cheating, it's much easier with WinApe's built-in poke database.

I have tried the North Star CPM version. I can hear a clicking sound like the tape relay on a CPC machine.

I can not figure out if it's a bug in RVM or North Star.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:29, 07 August 20Eh well, sometimes it's about exploring the game, not cheating per se. Good to know I'm not the only one to find it hard though!

Nah, never subscribed to that theory at all. If you can't play the game as it's intended, then you need to do better. :D
But yeah, it's as tough as nails!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Johnny Olsen on 10:42, 08 August 20
I have tried the North Star CPM version. I can hear a clicking sound like the tape relay on a CPC machine.

I can not figure out if it's a bug in RVM or North Star.
This shouldn't be an issue on CPC's. But it's there on plus machines though. @CraigsBar noticed that too last weekend.

Gryzor

Funny, because it's not a theory, nor does one have to "subscribe" to it or not. It's a fact that I want to see the game but don't have the time or patience to fight though it, there's nothing theoretical about it.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:39, 08 August 20
Funny, because it's not a theory, nor does one have to "subscribe" to it or not. It's a fact that I want to see the game but don't have the time or patience to fight though it, there's nothing theoretical about it.
Why bother then? Watch a movie if you want to see something to the end with no effort.  ::)

Gryzor

Oh I'm sorry if I didn't explain my entertainment preferences better for your approval...

Now, if anyone's got a trainer it'd be appreciated, otherwise pokes it is I guess!

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:20, 09 August 20
Oh I'm sorry if I didn't explain my entertainment preferences better for your approval...
Oh take a chill pill, would you?
The dictionary definition of a video game is to provide a challenge for you to use your imagination (or dexterity in some cases) to crack it. By removing the challenge, removes the point.

Hence why I asked, what's the point? A question that you conveniently avoided.But hey, whatever floats your boat. You don't need mine or anyone's approval (and please point out where I actually said that btw), but my point still stands. A video game without challenge is pointless.

Gryzor

Dude. I don't need a dictionary to have fun.  As for the "point", as if a point is needed:

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:29, 07 August 20Eh well, sometimes it's about exploring the game, not cheating per se

I like it that way, you don't, awesome. Now, if you want to debate about trainers and fun and games please open another thread.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:04, 09 August 20
Dude. I don't need a dictionary to have fun.  As for the "point", as if a point is needed:

I like it that way, you don't, awesome. Now, if you want to debate about trainers and fun and games please open another thread.
Yep, let's agree to disagree.
Two Mag's crack of North Star includes a cheat mode.

https://cpcrulez.fr/GamesTest/north_star.htm