News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

On Jetpac and copyright...

Started by 40Crisis, 08:41, 01 May 14

Previous topic - Next topic

EgoTrip

Fuck you Microsoft. This is one reason why I despise them almost as much as Apple, and will never purchase any of their software (outside of OEM Windows). How this company can cry over an outdated game when they are one of the wealthiest corporations on the planet is beyond me. But that's greed for you. Fuck the law, the law is an ass and is there to protect the elite and their excessive incomes. How much money do politicians get from them to put these archaic laws into practice?

And a MASSIVE FUCK YOU to all the small companies that sold out to the corporations and enabled them to become the monsters they are today. Its one of the reason the world is in the mess it is today.

ralferoo

Quote from: EgoTrip on 00:12, 04 May 14
How this company can cry over an outdated game
You know Jetpac Refuelled is only 6 years old, right? It's hardly an outdated game, it's almost certainly still getting purchases on the 360 store.

Quote$HATE
Wow. You make rms sound moderate.

Gryzor

Eh? So, Refuelled is the same game as Jetpac? Wow.

[attach=2] [attach=3]

Devlin

Quote from: phi2x on 21:37, 01 May 14
♫ Do what you want 'caus a pirate is free ♫
♪ You are a pirate! ♪

[attachimg=1]

if you're gonna quote that song, at least use the right version ;)

As someone mostly against piracy, (I made a game, I don't want people to pirate it y'know?) the law is the law, and in these laws it says if you don't "defend" your IPs then they become worthless, most of what big corps do is entirely excessive preventative arse-covering because they don't want to get caught out on something (and lose precious IPs!!) even more so if they might just decide to monetize later on. And the entire thing is such a large grey area it's unbelievable.

My opinion is that I know what I'm doing is wrong, because piracy yada yada, but I'm not harming the industry of brown/grey manshoots and soulless grindfest rpgs by downloading and playing an old game.
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

Gryzor

You can have your pie and eat it, too. By giving out licenses for your old games to be used - say, if we or WoS asked them - it would mean they would assert their IP while not acting like complete fools.

big cat man

Further to this conversation (Be it happening quite a while ago) I can only agree with the comments regarding the age of a game of this type an the IP situation.
I've just spent the good part of a week, trying to track down someone to give me  permission to us the Ultimate logo for a flyer I am planning to use and also to use the Jetpac game on my exhibition stand (I own the original, as this can be shown to Microsoft if asked),
And the outcome of this searching?
NOTHING!!!
Nobody can even be bothered to return an email to say yes you can or no you can't!!
This is Rare, Microsoft and also Tom Stamper himself  >:(
The only help I got was from Edelman (the company that deals with Microsoft's marketing) who said they could not assist and said try Rare direct (which happens to the email address within Microsoft)
I'm going to give them another few days to come back to me and if I still don't receive anything, I'll assume that they are not bothered and use the logo and the game anyhow.
If they then come back after I have done it and ask me to stop, I'll just seek legal advise on the subject as I made every attempt possible to get permission and they could not be arsed to reply in the first instance.
I would not mind, but I am technically advertising there IP for them for free  :o

ralferoo

Posting this publically, as I noticed that "big cat man" is a guest and so can't be PMed.

As I stated very early on in this thread, I work for Rare, so you could have asked me to help you get in contact with the right person... 

If you send me your email address, I can easily put you in contact with someone from legal or PR. I imagine they'd want to know more information about what you intend using it for than you provided above.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: big cat man on 23:59, 13 March 15
This is Rare, Microsoft and also Tom Stamper himself  >:(

It's Tim Stamper, not Tom.

--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

AMSDOS

I seem to recall David Hall writing a game where you had to hit some Moles with a Hammer. Couldn't we substitute the Mole with the Face of Gill Bates popping out of the Hole?
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3