News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Out Run 128k?

Started by Xyphoe, 06:36, 24 May 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyphoe

I came across this YouTube video of an apparent 128k version of Out Run -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS84d4KuK6c

It has music in game, runs faster and has the end map sequence ... yet I can't seem to find this version anywhere?

TACGR just hosts the XOR cracked version, and CPC Power has the original disks there but it's just the same as the '64k version'?

arnoldemu

Quote from: Xyphoe on 06:36, 24 May 10
I came across this YouTube video of an apparent 128k version of Out Run -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS84d4KuK6c

It has music in game, runs faster and has the end map sequence ... yet I can't seem to find this version anywhere?

TACGR just hosts the XOR cracked version, and CPC Power has the original disks there but it's just the same as the '64k version'?
I think it's a "wish" video.
Those extra graphics don't fit in with the rest of the cpc game and look like they come from st version??? there are too many colours for that high res.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

MacDeath

Perhaps modding the Burnin'Rubber engine may work well, no ? 8)

fano

"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Xyphoe

Quote from: fano on 18:55, 24 May 10
Fake !  :)

Yes, it definitely is then.

On further digging....
Given how it loads and the infinite time being used its the cracked by XOR vesion
It looks like the 'PUSH START BUTTON' attract mode is taken from the MSX2 version
The second of the soundtracks in game taken from the Spectrum version
It's been sped up to 120% from tests
And the end map screen taken from another version

Wish the vid had been labelled 'this is what I hoped the 128k version could have been', or I wouldn't have wasted my time tracking down various dumps and trying them out  >:(

Gryzor

You should have asked here first :) Haven't seen it yet (am at work) but I guess after all these talks about Outrun lacking sound it'd be pretty obvious :)

Btw, don't forget the YouTube command:

[youtube=YOUTUBE_ID HERE]My video[/youtube]

So:

[youtube=HS84d4KuK6c]OutRun 128k Wishful Thinking[/youtube]

ukmarkh

Try reading the description that comes with the video, clearly states that this would be a wish.

Xyphoe

Quote from: ukmarkh on 21:11, 26 May 10
Try reading the description that comes with the video, clearly states that this would be a wish.

I realised this was yours after posting the topic, and noticing/linking the usernames.

Anyway -
"As for this Video, I can at least dream... lol"

Hmm well, hardly clearing stating? Especially given the title.
There's 3 pages of comments where no-one mentions its fake (or near enough a fake)

eg "this is actually quite a bit better than the 64k version, has music and   is quite a bit faster, I had the 64k version :("

mr_lou

Have to agree with Xyphoe there.... I don't think it clearly states that it's a "wish-vid" either.

ukmarkh

Its clear to me...  ;) But I kinda get your point. Not changing it though, as I feel all the clues are there, especially in the text.