News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

PAKET Engine demo [ amstrad CPC ]

Started by XeNoMoRPH, 21:12, 31 August 19

Previous topic - Next topic

XeNoMoRPH

We present a playable demo of the latest engine we have developed for the creation of point and click adventures for 8-bit systems: PAKET (Point And Klick Engine Tool). The current version only works in Amstrad CPC.
The demo consists of a single screen. It contains no sound or music effects and the saving options are disabled. At the end of the demo a message will appear with the time you have taken to resolve it. We encourage you to send us your time to calibrate the gameplay in the final edition of the game we are developing with this engine
Sorry for translation:  :picard:
source: http://paketesoft.com
download ENG versión: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgng9s88qel9ntp/paket-en.cdt?dl=0

https://youtu.be/_at0yKGFCyw

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

TotO

Great!  8)

But... PACET, no? (Point And Click Engine Tool)  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

SkulleateR

trocoloco

Quote from: TotO on 21:25, 31 August 19
Great!  8)

But... PACET, no? (Point And Click Engine Tool)  :-\

It's just to make a little joke with the name in Spanish. Nice Demo btw

TotO

Quote from: trocoloco on 22:25, 31 August 19It's just to make a little joke with the name in Spanish. Nice Demo btw
Yes, I have seen next that was their name. I apologise, it was funny.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Poliander

Can we have mouse support, pretty pretty pleeeeeeeaaase? (e.g. TotO's multiplay)
Schneider CPC 664 • X-MEM • Vortex F1-X Drive • CTM 644 • DMP 2160
Schneider CPC 6128 • Z-MEM • M4 Board • MultiPlay + Amiga Mouse • OSSC

Maniac

Quote from: Poliander on 08:50, 01 September 19
Can we have mouse support, pretty pretty pleeeeeeeaaase? (e.g. TotO's multiplay)
Most of the mouse adapters for the CPC will work with this pretty well as they simply send rapid streams of joystick data. Support for the most sophisticated interfaces would be nice but given this is multi-platform not sure how feasible it might be. Having said that I guess SymbOS is capable of such things!

GUNHED

Quote from: Maniac on 10:11, 01 September 19
Most of the mouse adapters for the CPC will work with this pretty well as they simply send rapid streams of joystick data. Support for the most sophisticated interfaces would be nice but given this is multi-platform not sure how feasible it might be. Having said that I guess SymbOS is capable of such things!
If you need mouse support for which mouse ever, just let me know. I can send you drivers from FutureOS. It rules them one and all.  ;) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

cwpab

For anyone that wants to understand what the joke with "PAKET" means, the word "paquete" ("package") is also used colloquially with the meaning of "somebody with very poor skills".

Of course, in the end this is a nice homage to the SCUMM acronym.

This demo is amazing and I hope many developers from different countries can make an even better use of the engine when it is released as open source. Apparently, this will happen after their creators finish their current project, a point and click adventure game that uses this engine.  8)

kawickboy

This a CPC 64ko engine ? It looks great. Animation is smooth. Will you manage 128ko systems in order to add features ? Is there a sound engine ?

What do you plan for the MSX release ? MSX2 support ?

Do this engine will allow to port easyly game from CPC to MSX and MSX to CPC (and Speccy in the future) ?

A wonderful idea indeed.

santi.ontanon

Thanks for the thread on our demo!  :D

Let me try to respond to the comments (I hope I don't forget any haha):
- We definitively want to add mouse support. We did a quick test with one mouse we had on Jordi's real CPC, but we noticed that as you mentioned above, the input was just translated as if it was a joystick. So, we left it as something to investigate a bit further for future releases. But any pointers on info about it would be greatly appreciated! This is only our second CPC game, so, we are not the most knowledgeable about CPC hardware :)
- The engine is multi-platform, but the way it works is that there is a separate engine specifically coded for each platform (currently we have coded it for CPC and MSX 1), and then a Java tool that takes a game specification (in a SCUMM-style language, but much simpler)  and generates the binary data needed for the game. So, we can add mouse support for CPC/MSX, and if we add other platforms without mouse support, that's ok :)
- The Java compiler currently assumes 64KB for the CPC version, but it should not be hard at all to support 128KB. It's just that the current demo didn't need it so, we haven't implemented that part yet :)
- As for MSX. We are currently targeting MSX 1. Maybe we will support MSX2 in the future, but not for our game, as the problem is that for each new platform we add, we would need to re-draw the graphics of the whole game... But Spectrum is something I'd like to support too. But again, that'll be in the future, if everything goes well. For now, we are focusing on gathering feedback on the engine with the demo, so that when the final game is released, the game is as intuitive and easy to use as possible! :)

Thanks again for all the feedback! We are super excited that people is liking the demo! :D

||C|-|E||

I love this, guys! and if you release the engine I may bite the bullet and develop something with it! I have my hands super-busy with something not-CPC related, but I would love to use the engine.

kawickboy

Supporting spectrum will be affordable without 128ko ?

ervin

Quote from: santi.ontanon on 19:15, 02 September 19

- We definitively want to add mouse support. We did a quick test with one mouse we had on Jordi's real CPC, but we noticed that as you mentioned above, the input was just translated as if it was a joystick. So, we left it as something to investigate a bit further for future releases. But any pointers on info about it would be greatly appreciated! This is only our second CPC game, so, we are not the most knowledgeable about CPC hardware :)
- The engine is multi-platform, but the way it works is that there is a separate engine specifically coded for each platform (currently we have coded it for CPC and MSX 1), and then a Java tool that takes a game specification (in a SCUMM-style language, but much simpler)  and generates the binary data needed for the game. So, we can add mouse support for CPC/MSX, and if we add other platforms without mouse support, that's ok :)
- The Java compiler currently assumes 64KB for the CPC version, but it should not be hard at all to support 128KB. It's just that the current demo didn't need it so, we haven't implemented that part yet :)
- As for MSX. We are currently targeting MSX 1. Maybe we will support MSX2 in the future, but not for our game, as the problem is that for each new platform we add, we would need to re-draw the graphics of the whole game... But Spectrum is something I'd like to support too. But again, that'll be in the future, if everything goes well. For now, we are focusing on gathering feedback on the engine with the demo, so that when the final game is released, the game is as intuitive and easy to use as possible! :)

Thanks again for all the feedback! We are super excited that people is liking the demo! :D

This looks absolutely fantastic.
I'm wondering - will scrolling be supported (for large locations)?

Rhino

Quote from: santi.ontanon on 19:15, 02 September 19

It looks great!, if you need anything (mouse, scroll...) we will be happy to help.

santi.ontanon

Thanks!!! :D

I think mouse is the next thing. I'll look for examples online on how to handle mouse on CPC. I might ask you guys some questions if I am having troubles :)

We considered larger rooms with scroll, but decided against it for the very first game just to keep things simple and make sure we finish it. But we definitively want to support this on later version/game, so it's on my to-do list :)

santi.ontanon

and btw Rhino, your announcement of Vespertino (very impressive, btw) created a quite a reaction on the MSX community forums. There is a very long thread now discussing techniques and ideas for how could something similar be done on MSX1 or MSX2, which is very cool!! :)

robcfg

It would be interesting to read such discussions.

Can you post the links to the MSX forums where that is discussed on the 'Other Retro' subforum?

JayBlood

Impressive job, dudes. In the past, miss a engine like "Maniac Mansion" on CPC. Maybe it solve now. Great! I follow this. ;) Thanxx!
Jay

Rhino

Quote from: santi.ontanon on 11:47, 04 September 19
and btw Rhino, your announcement of Vespertino (very impressive, btw) created a quite a reaction on the MSX community forums. There is a very long thread now discussing techniques and ideas for how could something similar be done on MSX1 or MSX2, which is very cool!! :)
Thanks, that's very cool!
Btw, if the debate is still alive in that MSX discussion thread, maybe you could advance the conclusions to them.
#AmstradSupremacy  :D

santi.ontanon

hahaha  :D 

This is the thread: https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/graphics-and-music/polloutrun-for-msx2?page=0

Vespertino is not mentioned until page 6, but the thread started 2 weeks after Batman group posted the video on Youtube. So, it clearly started already because of that. After page 6 is where people start trying to analyze Vespertino and trying to figure out if something similar is possible on MSX/MSX2. It's been silent for most of August, but summer is a low-activity period in the forums anyway :)

My hands are busy with the PAKET engine, and a couple of other projects. But I am also very curious to try to do a Vespertino-like thing for MSX1 and see how far can it be pushed (using an MSX2 seems like cheating, as that is a different beast :)). Of course an MSX1 will have significant color limitations compared to a mode 0 CPC, and the direct memory access of a CPC is very flexible, but with some smart use of tiles and hardware sprites I'm sure something cool can be done on MSX too. And it's also a fun challenge to try to have some healthy competition between the systems :)

TotO

CPC is something like a "8-bit PC", so you can't beat it as you are not limited by a display "mold".

tastefulmrship

P'n'C adventures on CPC? This needs money thrown at it!
Great job! ^_^

MacDeath