News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Pinball Dreams, new game from Batman Group!!

Started by Joseman, 13:28, 17 September 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrick Sword

Great game, congratulations!!
The scroll is gorgeous

Go for it and finish it, but take the time you need

My only complain is with the score board , that is not very readable, the foreground and background colors are very similar, im using the winape emulator for reference.
And it would be cool if you could put the game link in the first post

Joseman

Pinball Dreams on a real GT65 monitor:

ukmarkh

Puresox

Good news as far as CPC can be concerned

Rhino

Quote from: TotO on 15:16, 02 November 16
May be the ball collision mask should be a bit smaller than its visual.

Yes, I think it's can be fixed by adjusting the board collision mask.

Rhino

Quote from: Kerrick Sword on 16:31, 02 November 16
Great game, congratulations!!
The scroll is gorgeous

Go for it and finish it, but take the time you need

My only complain is with the score board , that is not very readable, the foreground and background colors are very similar, im using the winape emulator for reference.
And it would be cool if you could put the game link in the first post

Thanks for the feedback!

TomEtJerry

Quote from: kawickboy on 11:28, 02 November 16
Last week end were the french party retro Gaming Connexion 2016 in Meaux (near Paris). Pinball Dreams preview was a great success. Many people came to play on my CPC until the CTM screen crashes at night.

Before the monitor died, some guys have made remarks playing the game :

me :-). Il have never been fan of flickering screens (even if it allows to see more colours), I think the intro screens would be better with standard display (maybe with rasters for mode 1 screens). Fortunatly, the main game doesn't use this technic and is just amazing !

Atlantis was uneasy with flashing colours in the lower part of the flipper board (some other guys were not). Looking at the Amiga version of the game, it seems there are less things that change colours periodically (B letter of the logo, bonuses).

beb

Quote from: TomEtJerry on 21:59, 03 November 16
I have never been fan of flickering screens (even if it allows to see more colours), I think the intro screens would be better with standard display (maybe with rasters for mode 1 screens). Fortunatly, the main game doesn't use this technic and is just amazing !

Hooo !!! I'm shocked !! I felt from my chair :)
I'm a bit agree with you Hervé for the flickering stuff. But the game is really great.

@Rhino: Have you worked on the subpixel ball since last time ? ;)
>> Oldskool Rules // Asic Suxx <<

MacDeath

One of the thing I think may be the most triky : all the colour cyclings everywhere...
(it's a freaking flipper/pinball)

actually few real "masked sprites" (balls) but really too many tiles with cycling colours per lines to be done simply via ink cycling of a sacrified ink... (CPC doesn't have 32 inks per line)

this means quite more background tiles have to be "refreshed" than expected.
I guess some level design may get more CPU/process/RAM intense than others if really many things have to have cycling colours/lighting/lite effects.

Does it handles well the multiball ?

flickering/Flashouille screen :
thats a thing from amiga, I do remember shadow of the beast's intro page with epyleptic trauma induced flickers...

Well why not, it's just a gimmick for the intro pages that somewhat make believe CPC is almost a ST.
;)
should try 60hz flickers instead... some says it is do-able on CPC.

This gme is what magic pinball on GX4000 should have been.
CPC has a huge potential for great pinball games.

Devil's Crush anyone ?

||C|-|E||

Regarding the flickering in the intro screens, I must say that with a real CRT it is almost not noticeable, at least to my eyes. As you know, the images in the phosphorescent screen do not disappear very fast and this compensates for the flickering a lot  :)

Rhino

This can be a subjective matter, but there are several reasons to use these screens modes for me. The first is that I was not happy with the result of the first attempts we made to convert them to standard modes. Also, I think there are enough games with splash screens in standard modes. Moreover, the first thing you see is always important, if you start seeing something unusual, the rest of the game will be watched with more attention and wonder. By last, I believe that many had noticed my influence from Amiga and many Amiga games uses splash screens or logos in interlace with flickering, for example, Pinball Fantasies :)

Anyway, I do not rule out improving existing screens for the final version since it is possible to reduce the flickering by retouching manually.

I also noticed that different types of screens give different results and generally the flickering is more noticeable when you have the monitor brightness to the maximum, and is greatly reduced with moderate brightness.

Regards!

Rhino

By the way, It seens that the creators of the c64 version have announced the project resumes after so many years ...  :)

http://csdb.dk/forums/?roomid=12&topicid=49146&showallposts=1

Puresox

That C64 Forum seems pretty cool tbh , and not your usual approach . I was amused by the CPC inferior complex  being noted and how it is irrelevent 30 years on. Which is fair point , but as I always say , we(or at least I am a Retro fan) So whenever you see unfair comments about the system , and generally people seem to go out of there way to be arsy about the machine , when it is unwarranted. Anyway ,I won't take things of subject.
The game is a great piece of work and I am glad it is being discussed with high regard . I hope the  developers can make use of the positive critisism.

Puresox

They say we are always bashing C64? Because of our Inferiority Complex? Really don't see that.

VincentGR

Quote from: Rhino on 18:12, 04 November 16
By the way, It seens that the creators of the c64 version have announced the project resumes after so many years ...  :)

http://csdb.dk/forums/?roomid=12&topicid=49146&showallposts=1

Some people will lose their sleep there  ;D ;D ;D

roudoudou

Quote from: Puresox on 18:44, 04 November 16
They say we are always bashing C64? Because of our Inferiority Complex? Really don't see that.

ONE people says that ONE demo says, there is a little difference :)

My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Puresox

Lol oxymoron One People ,
There is more than one person on that point anyhow? What's your point?

MacDeath

QuoteBy the way, It seens that the creators of the c64 version have announced the project resumes after so many years ...
Another great victory for you and an humiliating debacle for the overtly overstated and despicable talentless C64 scene*.
:laugh:

well, actually would have been great to have it on c64 too.
:(

*don't worry, was kidding... a bit.  ;)

QuoteVery interesting reading, that CPC forum thread. Everyone there seems to suffer from some kind of inferiority complex regarding the C64, feeling the need to constantly bash it and its users as they do. I mean, what does it fucking matter which 30+ year old platform you prefer to use? Just use the one you like best and be happy about it.
Quoteits like speccy ppl. inferior - without the complex.
a few banters are always fun and relevant, lol.

mr_lou

Never been a fan of the flicker screens either - but I hope people aren't judging based on the video they watch on their PC - or from the picture they're getting when using an LCD TV as a monitor with a plain SCART cable.

I know most readers already know this, but I feel it should be mentioned in this thread anyway:

Only judge the flicker on either a real Amstrad monitor, or a European CRT TV that runs 50 hz. That's the only place it'll be displayed correctly without any further fiddling.

If you want a correct result on a LCD monitor or TV, you need to make sure it displays 50 hz rather than the typical 60 hz. In my experience most can't be changed manually.

If you insist on using LCD for your Amstrad CPC, I highly recommend the X-RGB Mini Framemeister, as it converts the 50,08 hz RGB signal into a 50 fps HDMI stream which will result in actual 50 fps being shown. This isn't happening when using plain SCART with an LCD.

You can't trust 50 fps videos on YouTube either, when the refresh-rate of your monitor is 60 hz (and most are).

In short: Always download and watch on your real CPC with a CRT monitor for best result.

MacDeath

ivarf

Quote from: MacDeath on 13:11, 05 November 16
another video :

That LCD has some serious problem keeping up with the scrolling, at least it seems so watching the captured video converted throygh YouTube showing on my LCD pad

MacDeath

QuoteThat LCD has some serious problem keeping up with the scrolling, at least it seems so watching the captured video converted throygh YouTube showing on my LCD pad
Well, would be interesting to know what he uses to plug the CPC on this monitor ?

At least he uses a 5/4 sized monitor, I think. or not ?

Still same issue as usual : is the camera well synched with the monitor ? is the camera into a huge frequency ?
Seems you would use 100hz or 200hz caemeras at least... lol.

Still I never saw a preview game spawning that many videos from previously not CPC-friendly/regulars sources...
And I guess more videos are to come as well.

Here we have 8bitscene and Demoscene and Amigascene putting the projector on this.
CPC was unknown to Poland few years ago, until some Joker-themed-award-raping Demo showed those speccy-C64-Amigaists that CPC is more than just a bad Speccyclone but more like an upgraded AtariST clone with only 8bit CPU.
:laugh:

Anyway this Turek retromaniak seems to have a nice collection and actually posts quite a few videos for CPC.

turek = turkey?
But I guess he is Polish according to the writtings ?

The Polish retroscene and computer scene is supposedly very dinamic so that's a good thing they get interested in a "new" format that may have some interesting features compaired to the usual Sovietic Speccy clones.
After all they already know Z80 and AY soundchip anyway.

mr_lou

I haven't read through this whole thread, so I apologise if this has already been asked.

Isn't it supposed to run on a CPC plus?

I tried yesterday (at the annual local retro-gaming meeting), and all I got was a black screen.

ivarf

Quote from: mr_lou on 05:49, 06 November 16
I haven't read through this whole thread, so I apologise if this has already been asked.

Isn't it supposed to run on a CPC plus?

I tried yesterday (at the annual local retro-gaming meeting), and all I got was a black screen.

Looking at the quality of the game I am not surprised it is to much for a late 8-bit..