News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Pinball Dreams, new game from Batman Group!!

Started by Joseman, 13:28, 17 September 16

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Obviously, a CPC 128K game have to be loaded from the 3" floppy drive to be impressive.
Next, it is fine if a 80 tracks version allows to not turn the floppy disc to play the game.
A bonus if the game is released later in "files format", to run from any mass storage.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

roudoudou

i guess Chany will do the XMEM version  ;D
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

TotO

Quote from: roudoudou on 18:59, 05 March 19
i guess Chany will do the XMEM version  ;D
I though the same while I wrote my answer.  :laugh:
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Rhino

Quote from: GUNHED on 14:44, 05 March 19
Please stay with discs, thats the native medium of the CPC (aside of tapes.... but brrr no!). So please don't expect that everybody is owning and using (predominantly) mass-storage solutions. Actually the only one working is the M4 card anyway. Even it over 500 (I guess) were sold there may be still people preferring real discs.
About the format, use a 3.5" and you can get up to 700-800 KB. IMHO for a flipper that's enough. It doesn't use streaming VIds or so.

I'm looking forward to a nice an polished release.  :) :) :)
Thanks!,
Yes, I think the disk version is mandatory, but alternative versions so that more people can run it on real hardware are always welcome.
On M4, it is also very attractive a global records table that increases competition between players from around the world.

LambdaMikel

Quote from: GUNHED on 14:44, 05 March 19
Please stay with discs, thats the native medium of the CPC (aside of tapes.... but brrr no!). So please don't expect that everybody is owning and using (predominantly) mass-storage solutions. Actually the only one working is the M4 card anyway. Even it over 500 (I guess) were sold there may be still people preferring real discs.

I am a big fan of M4, but it seems there is one new firmware patch required for every game  ;) 
Without a proper disk controller the M4 is a no-go for me as a DSK emulator (I have tried to many standard DSK images that work perfectly fine on DDI3, Gotek Flash Floppy, HxC), that would not work on the M4.

So please stay with standard DSK. Of course there is nothing wrong about releasing an M4 compatible version, but it is a pitty that this is required for so many games. 

Targhan

QuoteYes, I think the disk version is mandatory, but alternative versions so that more people can run it on real hardware

Isn't it paradoxal? :)

The discussion is interesting, but I think the day games are not produced on disk anymore will be a sad day!
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

robcfg

I don't think the discussion is whether to release the games on disk or not, but to use a format that allows them to run from mass storage devices.

For me having to search for the external drive and its psu makes almost impossible to play a game given my limited time to do so. In that case, I'll play on an emulator, but then again I'll miss the real experience.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Rhino on 21:51, 05 March 19
it is also very attractive a global records table that increases competition between players from around the world.
I presume the "online leaderboard" will not be assessible to development/evaluation personnel!
I can max-out the score on all four tables, so will be constantly on the top of that leaderboard! ^_^

TotO

Quote from: robcfg on 07:30, 06 March 19
I don't think the discussion is whether to release the games on disk or not, but to use a format that allows them to run from mass storage devices.
Better to be clear about a floppy version, as the subject has not been addressed while games are published on alternate media such as cartridges.. The format to run on mass storage devices is obvious: files into a folder (like on PC) and currently it looks to be not an option for this game but only an alternate solution to mount a DSK with the M4 from its SD card.

About the online "hall of fames", I hope we can access it from an Internet connexion using a bluetooth communication and its smartphone too. ;D

GUNHED

Quote from: robcfg on 07:30, 06 March 19
For me having to search for the external drive and its psu makes almost impossible to play a game given my limited time to do so. In that case, I'll play on an emulator, but then again I'll miss the real experience.
What are you using? I ask because it may be of interest to software makers.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

robcfg

An external 3.5" disk drive, that of course need its own psu.

It doesn't seem much, but when you're as short on time as me, finding all the pieces may take most of the time I could be playing.

Add to that the possible disk and drive errors.

I'd be happy having a physical disk edition, but for playing I would prefer to have it M4 compatible.

LambdaMikel

Quote from: robcfg on 18:03, 06 March 19
An external 3.5" disk drive, that of course need its own psu.

I'd be happy having a physical disk edition, but for playing I would prefer to have it M4 compatible.

Nobody suggested a pysical edition... people are suggesting to have standard DSK file containing the game.
Sure, there could be a "M4 installer version" that unpacks the DSK content onto mass storage on the M4.
But requires hardware driver...

The DSK file you put into your Flash Floppy Gotek or HxC or DDI3.

You can also (try to) mount a DSK file from your M4, but most standard DSK files don't work with the M4. Maybe a special M4 compatible DSK file for the game will do?

For the PSU, you don't need one. Even my 6128 doesn't get 12 V anymore, and the Flash Floppy Gotek gets its power from John's @ikonsgr  y cable 5 V to MOLEX splitter...

Never had a single drive error with my Gotek  ;)

Rhino

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 13:09, 06 March 19
I presume the "online leaderboard" will not be assessible to development/evaluation personnel!
I can max-out the score on all four tables, so will be constantly on the top of that leaderboard! ^_^
hehe, well, maybe you'll find a rival worthy of you :)
I was even thinking of organizing contests according the global leaderboard...

robcfg

Quote from: LambdaMikel
Nobody suggested a pysical edition... people are suggesting to have standard DSK file containing the game.
Sure, there could be a "M4 installer version" that unpacks the DSK content onto mass storage on the M4.
But requires hardware driver...

There are plenty of reasons to choose a custom disk format, but if you can do with standard format disks, it would work for everyone.

The DSK file you put into your Flash Floppy Gotek or HxC or DDI3.

If you have or you like modded machines, yes, they are nice solutions.

You can also (try to) mount a DSK file from your M4, but most standard DSK files don't work with the M4. Maybe a special M4 compatible DSK file for the game will do?

As mentioned above, the format used for PD is the special one, not a regular amsdos format disk, which would be M4 compatible.

For the PSU, you don't need one. Even my 6128 doesn't get 12 V anymore, and the Flash Floppy Gotek gets its power from John's @ikonsgr  y cable 5 V to MOLEX splitter...

Sure. If you don't use your original drive.

Never had a single drive error with my Gotek

Neither me with my M4, plus I'm having a lot of fun with the Wi-Fi capability.

And please don't get me wrong, I appreciate your interest in finding alternative solutions but no way I'm going to have 3 or 4 different solutions, one for playing games, one for the Wi-Fi, another one for extra memory...

Certainly I could customise one of my CPCs to death but then again I think it would be easier not to use custom loaders.

That's a thing I like about the new cartridge formats, they are literally Plug'n'Play  :D

TotO

Quote from: robcfg on 20:32, 06 March 19That's a thing I like about the new cartridge formats, they are literally Plug'n'Play :D
Peoples unliked the same idea 5 years ago. So much time lost! ;D

robcfg

Quote from: TotO on 20:34, 06 March 19
Peoples unliked the same idea 5 years ago. So much time lost! ;D

While I'm sure many liked the Plus range with the cartridge port...  :picard:

LambdaMikel

Well, it's a CPC democracy, right?  ;D
Telling people what they should be using or not doesn't roll very well with many people... everybody has his/her own ideas about a setup. Declaring that one expansion card is "the one and only and you shall not have any expansion card besides it" is a bit... well...  :D

robcfg

That's not what I'm saying!

It's just that not having PD in a M4 compatible format will make me less likely to play it because of my circumstances, nothing else.

LambdaMikel

Oh good then. Well I think many of us would love to play it on the M4, so that should be a good incentive for the authors of this great game to make it happen. And others will certainly appreciate if it also runs on DDI3 and HxC and Gotek.

robcfg

Definitely!

Should it work on a M4 via a dsk file, then it should work too on a Gotek, DDI3 or HxC.

XeNoMoRPH

we are forgetting something important, we need the approval of Rebellion !!!  :o
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Rhino on 19:14, 06 March 19
hehe, well, maybe you'll find a rival worthy of you :)
Maybe in two years of constant play! ^_^

CraigsBar

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 13:46, 07 March 19
Maybe in two years of constant play! ^_^
I just hope the rest of us get a chance to try 😔
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

ivarf

I hope the rest of us get a chance to buy the game

tastefulmrship

Quote from: ivarf on 01:09, 17 March 19
I hope the rest of us get a chance to buy the game
Rhino has already said it's a free game; I'd question anyone charging real-world monies for it! ^_^