News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Pinball Dreams, new game from Batman Group!!

Started by Joseman, 13:28, 17 September 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

dthrone

Quote from: rexbeng on 16:22, 29 November 19
I have a question, then. Why do you believe it is an incredible feat? I'm not addressing Gryzor in particular; would be interesting to read a few opinions...  :)
rb

First of all, love the game!!

But well, haha, adding to the opinions  :D

The feats are the level of polish achieved on the CPC, and the use of advanced hardware techniques and importantly their associated limitations to produce an extremely playable game rather than just a demo or not very playable game that might as well just be a demo.

What the feats aren't -
the game design, it's a conversion
the physics, it sounds like it's an improvement on the accuracy of the originals, but physics is real world physics, you can only get it accurate or not, and the calcs apart from final display are hardly going to be using 'innovative' hard techniques or something.

I don't think feats across the board have been done just yet, that's probably going to be whatever's next from the Batman Group  :P

Rhino

Some of you have asked how to get a physical copy, well, our friend from Cepeceros Podcast has organized a draw!

https://twitter.com/cepeceros/status/1200501822907179008

Cwiiis

Really amazed by this - I don't suppose there's a cartridge conversion by any chance? I've only got a GX4000, but I'd love to play it - Would be cool to get + palette/hardware sprite support too, but it looks pretty great unmodified :)

ivarf

Kim Justice finally shows the Amstrad  CPC some justice and Pinball Dreams a cracking review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxH8mM605Cs

mr_lou

So, due to being too busy in daily life, yesterday was the first time I had a proper go with Pinball Dreams.

Absolutely amazing of course. I can't say much that everyone else hasn't said already.

I gotta admit that I never really played Pinball Dreams on the Amiga. I only played a bit of Pinball Fantasies - on my brothers Amiga 500, so that's the one I know the most.
But while I was still hanging onto my CPC464 at the time, I would often end up in.... "debates" with my brother.
He'd go: "Look at this!!! The CPC just can't do something like this!", pointing to the screen with Pinball Fantasies running.
And I'd of course go: "Of course it can! It's just that no one has done it yet! Just wait and see! Some day....!!"

So how nice that this argument has finally been settled now.  ;D

One of my mates who participated in yesterday's retro gaming meet-up, used to play a lot of Pinball Dreams on the Amiga. He ended up playing Pinball Dreams on my CPC quite a lot yesterday too, absolutely astonished that it was really a CPC he was playing on.  :)

It's the best Christmas present I've had in a long time.  ;)   Thanks a lot to the whole team for bringing this awesomeness to the CPC!!!

ivarf

Another uknown Amstrad coder is interviewed in the latest Retro Gamer

ivarf

Gryzor

Must find that issue then... Which issue is that?

Captain Past

Load 202
'Star Wars - Knights of The Old Republic' cover story.

Gryzor

Gryzor

-In hindsight, is there anything you would have done differently?
- Sure! I would reorganise collision codes to include more variety of materials and I would try to improve the physics, I even think we'd do it for the new cartridge support, which would allow for larger graphics and more accurate collision tables.

Ah damn :)

Skunkfish

Looking forward to Pinball Fantasies on cart already!
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

mr_lou

I have a question.

As mentioned, I didn't play much Pinball Dreams on the Amiga back in the day, but I did play some Pinball Fantasies.
As far as I remember, when hitting space to tilt, I could do this at least 2 times in a row in Pinball Fantasies without the game tilting.
But in Pinball Dreams on the CPC the game tilts if I hit space twice. This makes it somewhat difficult to "rescue" the ball when it's on its way out.
So is this a flaw in the CPC version or was the Amiga version the same way?

SkulleateR

Quote from: mr_lou on 15:32, 15 January 20
As far as I remember, when hitting space to tilt, I could do this at least 2 times in a row in Pinball Fantasies without the game tilting.
But in Pinball Dreams on the CPC the game tilts if I hit space twice. This makes it somewhat difficult to "rescue" the ball when it's on its way out.
So is this a flaw in the CPC version or was the Amiga version the same way?
AFAIR : Pinball Fantasies (Amiga) -> 3 x space = tilt / Pinball Dreams (Amiga) -> 2 x space = tilt
I could check when I´m home AND my A1200 gives me some love (very unstable in the moment)

SkulleateR

Hmmm, editing the above msg didn't work ... well the A1200 worked long enough to test this, so you're right, I was wrong ...

Pinball Dreams (Amiga) -> 3 x space = tilt ... also Pinball Fanatsies ...

mr_lou

Notifying @Rhino in case it's something to correct in the cartridge version.

Rhino

The condition on CPC is not to push twice in a row in less than 32 frames (0.64 secs) but unlike the Amiga version, to save the ball from the sides you normally only need to push once on CPC. So, it's a matter of getting the hang of it, most testers reported that it's easier to save the ball on CPC than on Amiga :)

Rhino

Gryzor

So who is doing a run to put on eBay? :D

||C|-|E||

Oh wow, this is amazing! I actually have a few brand new discs in here and I think that this could be the best reason to open one  :D

zhulien

Gryzor

Dominoid

Could anybody help me get this working please? I can get as far as the welcome screen but no further https://photos.app.goo.gl/932ebQigNJC69RwGA
No button on the CPC starts the game and the joystick doesn't either. If I leave it a whiile nothing happens either.This is on a 464 with M4 board and Zaxxon 512kb RAM card. I've tried changing the lowerrom to the 6128 version as well as basic 1.1. I've tried 2 different downloads as well as the 3 inch, 3.5 inch and M4 dsks. It's seeing the extra ram as it gives a "128k only" error of I turn it off. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Dominoid on 22:34, 01 March 20
Could anybody help me get this working please? I can get as far as the welcome screen but no further https://photos.app.goo.gl/932ebQigNJC69RwGA
No button on the CPC starts the game and the joystick doesn't either. If I leave it a whiile nothing happens either.This is on a 464 with M4 board and Zaxxon 512kb RAM card. I've tried changing the lowerrom to the 6128 version as well as basic 1.1. I've tried 2 different downloads as well as the 3 inch, 3.5 inch and M4 dsks. It's seeing the extra ram as it gives a "128k only" error of I turn it off. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I'm guessing this is at fault. The joystick won't work as it's keyboard only.
Is there an option to turn off certain banks on the expansion, or put it into compatibility mode? Are there any switches on the RAM expansion?

It should work fine on a 464, I've used it with 512k (as part of the DDI-4), so either it's a RAM configuration issue, or the expansion has a fault. It should work just fine from the M4.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?