News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Time Machine Bugs

Started by Joseman, 18:07, 19 May 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseman

Hi
I bought this game in 1992 and never passed era 1

Recently I played it again, and remembered why...

It has a massive bug! but you discover it in 5 minutes!!

Because is a lame speccy port, i thought it was a CPC version fault... but, i loaded it on speccy and it has the same bug!!!! 5 minutes of playing!!

in the fist era, you have to capture little monkeys and take them to a cave. If you try to take them and teletransport, it won't work. This is right, because it's not the trick to do it (but i don't know why they didn't allow that).

Ok, if you break the eggs in that screen, a pterodactyl appears and takes you to the cave. Then you can think that: you break the eggs, take the monkey and let the pterodactyl take you and the monkey to the cave. And yes, it's allowed, BUT when you reach the cave, and you loosen up from the pterodactyl, the screen gets corrupted (on cpc) and its matter of time that the game will hang, obviusly it's a bugged pointer.

If you do the same on speccy, the screen isn't corrupted, but again, it's matter of time that the game will hang too!!

There isn't any walktrought on youtube for this versions...

Anyone has played this game and found this bug? (i believe if that there is a bug in 5 minutes, the game must be bugged as hell)

How can you sell a game that it's bugged in 5 minutes? I can understand that some games are bugged on level 200, but come on, in 5 minutes!!

Someone can bring some light on that? or even can be fixed?

Gryzor

Ah indeed a speccy port but I love this style of gfx...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3-obu_Thdk

genesis8

It has a sapiens look alike.

andycadley

I'm pretty sure it is completable on the Speccy at least, although that doesn't mean it isn't buggy.

I think it was possibly a bit too advanced a concept for the 8-bit machines (although not quite fleshed out enough for the 16-bit machines either). Lots of attempts at open world, physics based problems that were a bit ahead of their time (pun not intended)

eto

CPC Game Reviews gave this 6/10. I doubt that they would give so many points if there is such a huge bug.

Is there maybe a version out there with this bug (copy protection maybe?)? Or was that just a 4 minute review?

andycadley

Nich

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:29, 20 May 21
Ah indeed a speccy port but I love this style of gfx...

And would you believe that according to the instructions, the Spectrum and CPC versions were programmed by...

Spoiler: ShowHide
Raffaele Cecco?! :o

Nich

Quote from: eto on 14:53, 20 May 21
CPC Game Reviews gave this 6/10. I doubt that they would give so many points if there is such a huge bug.

Is there maybe a version out there with this bug (copy protection maybe?)? Or was that just a 4 minute review?

I played XOR's crack and I didn't encounter any bugs or screen corruption. I spent a lot more than 4 minutes playing and testing the game, and I used the walkthrough that @andycadley linked to as I didn't have a clue what I was supposed to be doing! (I'm also rather lazy and impatient these days... :laugh:)

Gryzor

Quote from: Nich on 19:08, 20 May 21
And would you believe that according to the instructions, the Spectrum and CPC versions were programmed by...

NO WAY!!!

Damn, would've never guessed...

banana

I hate it when software companies just port speccy versions instead of starting fresh on the Amstrad, utilizing its advantages.

Gryzor

Quote from: banana on 12:42, 25 May 21
I hate it when software companies just port speccy versions instead of starting fresh on the Amstrad, utilizing its advantages.

You're not alone, believe me :D
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Speccy_Port

banana

If people wanted a Spectrum port, they would have bought a Spectrum. It has always bugged me, even from the 80s.In the link you posted, it also mentions the  C64. That is strange as it is not a Z80 based CPU, but I guess lazy programmers found a way...

zeropolis79

Quote from: Nich on 19:08, 20 May 21

Would never have thought that, especially with all his other CPC titles.. Wonder if Vivid image had him do the game like this..

MaV

Interestingly, the entry in mobygames for Cecco and Time Machine makes a point of him doing the Spectrum coding (only) while the other entries are less specific. I wonder why? ;)

Raffaele Cecco Video Game Credits and Biography - MobyGames

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Nich

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 14:21, 25 May 21

Would never have thought that, especially with all his other CPC titles.. Wonder if Vivid image had him do the game like this..

That's a possibility. All of Mev Dinc (owner of Vivid Image)'s games for the CPC (e.g. Big Trouble in Little China, Enduro Racer, Knightmare, Last Ninja 2) are ugly Spectrum ports. It's a shame the CPC didn't get something like the much more attractive C64 version (I can't believe I just wrote that :laugh:).

zeropolis79

Quote from: Nich on 21:08, 25 May 21
That's a possibility. All of Mev Dinc (owner of Vivid Image)'s games for the CPC (e.g. Big Trouble in Little China, Enduro Racer, Knightmare, Last Ninja 2) are ugly Spectrum ports. It's a shame the CPC didn't get something like the much more attractive C64 version (I can't believe I just wrote that :laugh: ).

Agreed - it doesn't look technically challenging.