News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Playing games with the monochromoe monitor

Started by banana, 14:05, 03 June 21

Previous topic - Next topic

banana

Lately, I've been playing games with my monochrome monitor. To my surprise it isn't bad at all, I can see the shapes in Green much better than with the color monitor.Anyone else experience that and is a fan?

Gryzor

Grew up with a green monitor. I love it. Of course I also loved it when I got a scart cable and hooked my 464 up to our Luxor colour TV, but that's another story.

ervin

I also grew up with the green screen.
And though I desperately wanted a colour screen for all that gaming goodness (particularly after seeing screenshots of Sorcery, Gryzor, Trantor etc), I have to admit the green screen was much better for getting work done, particularly for coding.
It was pin-sharp, whereas the colour screen was a little blurry, and not good for mode 2.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ervin on 14:30, 03 June 21
I have to admit the green screen was much better for getting work done, particularly for coding.
It was pin-sharp, whereas the colour screen was a little blurry, and not good for mode 2.

I've read this a number of times over the years, and the more I think about it, that was probably the purpose. Green monitors for business and serious users, colour for gamers.

The green screens were a bit smaller as well, meaning the slightly larger colour monitor stretched the already smaller resolution possibly causing the blurriness.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

SkulleateR

I always hated playing on the green monitor but that was probably because I had (still have) a 464 with color monitor back in the days  :P

My best friend in school got a 464 with green monitor and ... well, for playing games he had to come to my house  8)

Gryzor

You posh kids... playing on the green screen was just fine.

Actually I just remembered that, as a kid, I didn't even know there existed a colour option for some time. But I had noticed the "COLOUR" text on the badge and kept wondering about that...

eto

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 09:15, 04 June 21The green screens were a bit smaller as well, meaning the slightly larger colour monitor stretched the already smaller resolution possibly causing the blurriness.

No - if the screen would have been smaller it would have been even more blurry. The mask of the color monitor is not capable of displaying even a single sharp pixel at 320x200, let alone at 640x200. On 320x200 it is not so apparent, but on 640x200 it's completely washed out. If you shrink the monitor, the mask would not shrink. So even 320x200 would be awful on a colour monitor.

See attachments for a close-up of mode 1 vs mode 2 that I made recently. 

I didn't check yet the green screen, but I would expect that the reason that it is much sharper is, that the mask doesn't need to have dots for 3 colours but only for a single colour. This would result in a much much sharper picture.

gerald

Quote from: eto on 10:31, 04 June 21but I would expect that the reason that it is much sharper is, that the mask doesn't need to have dots for 3 colours but only for a single colour. This would result in a much much sharper picture.
Actually, there is no mask at all on a monochrome monitor  ;)

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

eto

Quote from: gerald on 17:03, 04 June 21Actually, there is no mask at all on a monochrome monito

now that I am thinking about it... makes sense ;-) thanks for the correction