News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Question about copying Orion Prime to 3" disks

Started by Vendest, 13:22, 22 January 23

Previous topic - Next topic

Vendest

Hi, I have downloaded the freely available game files from the game creator website which contains a split of 4 files of 221kb each.
Clearly that exceeds the maximum capacity of a single side so I would like to ask if it is possible to resize the dsk file for it to fit on a disk?
Thanks

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: Vendest on 13:22, 22 January 23Hi, I have downloaded the freely available game files from the game creator website which contains a split of 4 files of 221kb each.
Clearly that exceeds the maximum capacity of a single side so I would like to ask if it is possible to resize the dsk file for it to fit on a disk?
Thanks

Orion Prime uses a special format which requires the LAST release of CPCDiskXP.
This version is fitted with a new option specially made for Orion Prime. When transfering the DSK(s), check the "Use Dsk GAP Information instead of calculate it" option in the "DSK Write to Floppy Disk" window.
For the same reason, it is not advised to recreate a DSK from the game on disc : no software will be able to create a 100% accurate DSK.

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Vendest

Thanks for sharing the instructions, using CPCDiskXP means that the CF-2 disk drive must be connected to the PC.

vasilisk

If you downloaded from the official site, inside the rar file it is also included the single file for 3,5" disk and the required cpcdiskxp version

Vendest

Quote from: vasilisk on 17:36, 22 January 23If you downloaded from the official site, inside the rar file it is also included the single file for 3,5" disk and the required cpcdiskxp version
Yes I saw the content in the rar file, I guess I was hoping for an easier alternative. Probably a dead end for me, let's stick with the gotek then :)

roudoudou

warning, warning!

the official DSK do not have correct GAP the track size if too big for a 300RPM drive, you should lower GAP

then any floppy creator is able to create the floppy safely (i guess cpcXPthing compute the correct GAP disregarding DSK info)
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Vendest

So I went on to build an "old" PC supporting both OS Win2k and WinXP, it was a fun project but moreover I was able to write Orion Prime using CPCDiskXP. The game loads fine on CPC from 3" disk and will be spending some time on it. Aside from disk 4 that returns couple of errors during writing, probably a bad disk.
Appreciate the good advice on this thread and forum.

roudoudou

you should NOT use GAP information from the DSK since they are wrong, let your software do what he wants or fix the GAP (as far as i remember, a GAP less than 27 in decimal should be ok)

GAP from offocial DSK is #30, it's too much since a track size is

146 + 62 x nbsect + sizesect x nbsect

Theorically #24 (36) is the maximum to get a proper disk. If not, last sector will overlap the disc. It can work since it overwrite only the track header but... who knows?

Vendest

Quote from: roudoudou on 22:32, 03 February 23you should NOT use GAP information from the DSK since they are wrong, let your software do what he wants or fix the GAP (as far as i remember, a GAP less than 27 in decimal should be ok)

Theorically #24 (36) is the maximum to get a proper disk. If not, last sector will overlap the disc. It can work since it overwrite only the track header but... who knows?
Thanks for the detailed information, to be honest I don't have much knowledge on this so I'll have to do some reading first and fix the gap afterward.

roudoudou

Quote from: Vendest on 13:38, 04 February 23
Quote from: roudoudou on 22:32, 03 February 23you should NOT use GAP information from the DSK since they are wrong, let your software do what he wants or fix the GAP (as far as i remember, a GAP less than 27 in decimal should be ok)

Thanks for the detailed information, to be honest I don't have much knowledge on this so I'll have to do some reading first and fix the gap afterward.

i published a prototype of EDSK tool, you can modify GAP yourself if you want :)

https://github.com/EdouardBERGE/edsktool

syntax should be like: edsktool.exe orion1.dsk -trackgap 0:0+41 25 -o orion1fixed.dsk

0 (side) : 0 (first track) +41 (extend command to next 41 tracks)    25 (new gap size)