News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Question about the GX4000 Acid chip

Started by dcdrac, 00:43, 25 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

dcdrac

Is it possible to strip the code from an acid chip so you can have it along side an extracted bin file from a Cartridge, and have them saved onto a floppy?

IanS

The Acid chip is not a rom with code in it. Have you read the Acid wiki page - Amstrad Cartridge Identification Device - CPCWiki ?

TFM

Quote from: dcdrac on 00:43, 25 March 14
Is it possible to strip the code from an acid chip so you can have it along side an extracted bin file from a Cartridge, and have them saved onto a floppy?

This may help you:
ACID Verilog code | The Amstrad CPC news portal

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

steve

The program in a cartridge does not interact with the acid chip so you could copy a program to disk, although I do not know what changes may need to be made to make the program run in ram instead of rom.
The acid chip is only there to authorise the plus/GX4000 to execute the program.

Bryce

The ACID is actually there to make the CPC run at all. Without the ACID chip nothing will work, not even the BASIC prompt would appear.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: dcdrac on 00:43, 25 March 14
I think you are asking:

I want to play cartridge games transferred to disc? Correct?

The problem is these games are written to run from cartridge.

It may be possible to transfer some of them to disc and patch them to work but nobody tried that.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

dcdrac

Quote from: arnoldemu on 10:30, 27 March 14
I think you are asking:

I want to play cartridge games transferred to disc? Correct?

The problem is these games are written to run from cartridge.

It may be possible to transfer some of them to disc and patch them to work but nobody tried that.

Totally correct

steve

Quote from: Bryce on 10:01, 27 March 14
The ACID is actually there to make the CPC run at all. Without the ACID chip nothing will work, not even the BASIC prompt would appear.

Bryce.

That's what I said, without the acid chip the cartridge software will not run, Basic has the acid chip so it will run.

BluesBrothers

Any way of fitting the acid somewhere in the CPC and therby circumventing this problem? Though I'm sure if it were that easy someone would have done it by now.

gerald

Quote from: BluesBrothers on 05:56, 28 March 14
Any way of fitting the acid somewhere in the CPC and therby circumventing this problem? Though I'm sure if it were that easy someone would have done it by now.
AcidInside - CPCWiki ?

arnoldemu

Quote from: dcdrac on 21:20, 27 March 14
Totally correct

I haven't tested it yet, but I believe it should be possible to play plus cartridges if you have a ctc-ay and a developer cart.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Quote from: BluesBrothers on 05:56, 28 March 14

As you've guessed, it is that easy and it has already been done: AcidInside - CPCWiki :)

Bryce.