News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Quick question on Renegade/Target Renegade graphics

Started by sigh, 17:17, 07 December 10

Previous topic - Next topic

sigh

Screen number 6 is done. Not to sure if my tile management has been that great but I'm trying to make both ends of the level connect. The reason for this, is that it would be nice that  everytime you restarted the that same level, you would start on a different screen. For instance, you may start the level on the screen where the vans are, or maybe start the level on the screen with the shutter . Starting and ending at different points would break up the monotomy a bit, along with the enemy placements being different each time. Have 2 more screens to do.

For the next level (park) It would be nice to have some parallax scrolling. I'm thinking a football stadium in the background or a 6 frame animation punch up between rival fans. Then have a layer on top with trees. The a foreground layer (in at the bottom of the screen with grass. This level wouldn't be tile heavy with probably only half the tiles of level 1.

Is this possible?

*the music could be football chants :)

Gryzor

The idea is actually quite nice - starting from random points -, but the opposite also has its merit: by always having the same line of progression you get a motive to go further and see new stuff...

sigh

Yeah - I understand the point about progression. So what I could do is have the starting postion always changing along with enemy placements, but have the last screen always the same. To acheive this, I'll have to make sure that I have 2 screens that are able to connect with the all the others. It should work really well.

It will keep the levels feeling fresh, especially with the random enemy placements(will they come from the front of the screen or behind? Will they pop out from the van or shutters ;) )

Gryzor

This would be both nice and a novelty - trying to reach THE place through different paths. Which begs the question, how much time would be to do forking paths and decisions?

sigh

Different paths would need more backgrounds to make it all worth while and varied enough - which would be cool, but I'm not prepared to do that at this stage as I prefer the random starting screens as I wouldn't be forced to compromise the background details in order to save on ram space. It's also quicker to do.

Looking forward to finishing these last 2 screens as I want to start finalizing the female playable characters design and start animating her. I also still need to do the level 1 boss design along with the boss background which will be only one screen, but will have some background animation and breakable objects.

sigh

Finished the background for level 1! (apart from the 1 screen boss hideout.) I'll have to put in an order for promotion this week as I missed a couple of naughty single pixels which have now been rectified(I hope) in the tile sheets. So I will have to fix some of those screens and search out those tiles. I'll create a telephone box that will breakable - 1 normal frame and another frame of it shattered. Should have all these done for this week.

Gryzor

redbox

F**k yeah!  I wanna smash up a telephone box!

;)

sigh

Quote from: redbox on 19:40, 26 April 11
F**k yeah!  I wanna smash up a telephone box!

;)
Quote from: Gryzor on 11:16, 26 April 11
Breakable environments? Wow!!!

fingers crossed.

steve

The old GPO red telephone boxes were made of cast iron, I doubt you could break them even if you ran over them in a tank!.

The newer "phone points" (they can  hardly be called boxes), are much flimsier.

MacDeath

sigh

sigh

Update with the Player 2 female character and telephone box to be smashed in background:

Still debating on what some of her moves should be. Thinking of replacing the knee grab, with a grab move that involves punching the enemy in the stomach similar to Dudley in SF3 or Vanessa of KOF and then finishing with an elbow....

MacDeath

Quotewith a grab move that involves punching the enemy in the stomach
Quotestomach
one word : Balls ?

sigh

Quote from: MacDeath on 17:28, 07 May 11
one word : Balls ?

That's a seperate move (and will be a rather painful looking one).

sigh

Some female player poses: Standing, Crouching, Double handed uppercut, Back kick, Flying kick

Although this game is designed for 128kb (CPC6128 or 464 with 64kb memory expansion), I've been thinking that a CPC464 64kb version could be possible with some cutbacks:

1) No second female player in 2 player mode.
2) No scrolling. Flick scrolling only.
3) Less detailed backgrounds.
4) Some special moves omitted from main player.

This also got me thinking about the PLUS:

464 PLUS version using 64kb only:

1)Same as CPC464 but with hardware scrolling.

...6128 PLUS version using 128kb only:

1) Same as CPC6128 but hardware Scrolling and digitized voice.

All these ideas are just food for thought and way down the list of priorities for now, but would be good to reach a further audience in the Amstrad world.

Gryzor

sigh

So far..

Tweaking the female punch animation and rhave decided to replace her back kick with an elbow to the face instead.

Also been looking at creating some mode 1 static cutscenes between levels, but I'm thinking that it would be interesting using the ingame graphics instead - similar to old school Japanese RPG's with the text at the bottom.

Gryzor

Cutscenes would be new... I'd totally dig it :)

MacDeath

This looks like a promising "Street of Rage" clone... :P

Perhaps instead of trying a 464PLUS version, aim at a Cartridge (ROM based) version.

ROM means that you have far less limitation than the 64K RAM only...

And then perhaps a bit less reduction compared to a 128Plus version...
Then such ROM+128PLUS could only get extras in form of compressed Datas...

extra sample sounds, a little more extra Softsprites effects... perhaps.

sigh

Definitely don't want to be messing with any cartridge media. The tape and disk media (whether it be 3 inch or 3 1/2) are far more accessible.

sigh

Update:

Started a little bit this week planning out the rest of the female characters moves. Started pixelling her elbow pose which will finish her stomach punching grab move (not animated yet). It's been nearly 3 months since I touched this and lots of things happened during that time, but I'll post some stuff sometime next week.

Gryzor

sigh

Been doing some work this very morning. The frames I drew out for the stomach grab punch are going through some alterations but they are coming on nicely. I'm going to have to re animate the hit reactions to the grab moves to make the compositing of the different body parts easier.

Off to do some shopping and will come back and get this first frame pixelled and posed correctly.

*Okay - I just tried to drag and drop an animated gif into this message, but it doesn't come up when I post:/