News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Retro Asylum 8 Bit Wars

Started by RetroClarence, 20:16, 19 January 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Super Cycle? Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spq1m7M-V9g

:D

Honestly asking, never played it.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:37, 21 January 20
Super Cycle? Really?

I really gotta give this a go. I've the next few days off work so I'll probably try it tonight. :D
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Speed King?

An early title, quite primitive. I have a special place in my heart for it though, since I used to play it with my dad... I think its JBC* is similar to Dalley Thomson's, with those turns!

*JBC=Joystick Breaking Coefficient

Shaun M. Neary

It looks like it has a nice Pole Position type feel to it though, and I've been enjoying that a lot recently on the Atari 800XL.

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:43, 21 January 20
Speed King?

An early title, quite primitive. I have a special place in my heart for it though, since I used to play it with my dad... I think its JBC* is similar to Dalley Thomson's, with those turns!

*JBC=Joystick Breaking Coefficient
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

sigh

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:37, 21 January 20
Super Cycle? Really?

I actually preferred Super Cycle by Martech to Speed King as it felt much smoother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlHZ0W-IBmI
However - Martech went onto create this very fast F1 game, which I feel is only a little behind the Amiga version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRMe7G_bSHI
Amiga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK8mgL5kRh0

Gryzor

My reference to Speed King was a joke really, because Super Cycle looks so primitive...

sigh

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:30, 21 January 20
My reference to Speed King was a joke really, because Super Cycle looks so primitive...
Aaaahh! ;D
Yes - graphically it's definitely no Chase HQ. I do think that Mansell holds up very well.

Gryzor

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: sigh on 15:27, 21 January 20
I actually preferred Super Cycle by Martech to Speed King as it felt much smoother:

Super Cycle was Epyx. Mansell was Martech. :)

sigh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 15:38, 21 January 20

Super Cycle was Epyx. Mansell was Martech. :)
Ahh - yes, your right. A different publishing house.
I wonder if the programmers are the same as the techniques feel similar...

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: sigh on 16:08, 21 January 20
Ahh - yes, your right. A different publishing house.
I wonder if the programmers are the same as the techniques feel similar...

They are. Dave and John Looker were responsible for both, as well as the equally awesome Road Blasters.

villain

I'd always vote for Super Cycle. Forever! Had so much fun with it!
What category would P-47 fit in?
Oh, and IK+ also wasn't a bad one. Right?

sigh

Quote from: villain on 17:39, 21 January 20
I'd always vote for Super Cycle. Forever! Had so much fun with it!
What category would P-47 fit in?
Oh, and IK+ also wasn't a bad one. Right?
P-47 would be shooter.
IK+ on CPC is great, but not as good as the C64 version as System 3 where known to favour the C64 more than the other 8 bits. In my opinion - I would try to choose games that are either exclusive to the CPC or games that are clearly leagues ahead of the competition. Choosing games such as IK+ or Barbarian, may have a tough time against their counter parts if they are also selected by the opposition. You probably want to avoid any game that has the potential of the phrase:
"Yeah - it's not bad on the CPC but the <insert other 8 bit machine> does it better"
That definitely would happen with IK + and any Last Ninja game:D

reidrac

Quote from: sigh on 19:52, 21 January 20
You probably want to avoid any game that has the potential of the phrase:
"Yeah - it's not bad on the CPC but the <insert other 8 bit machine> does it better"

That's spot-on. I don't think it is a problem if the game has appeared on a previous EP of the 8-bit wars, but perhaps it would make things more interesting if people bring titles that are less known (even if the best games are the best games).

@RetroClarence what do you think? :)
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Shaun M. Neary

P-47 would be shooter.
IK+ on CPC is great, but not as good as the C64 version as System 3 where known to favour the C64 more than the other 8 bits. In my opinion - I would try to choose games that are either exclusive to the CPC or games that are clearly leagues ahead of the competition. Choosing games such as IK+ or Barbarian, may have a tough time against their counter parts if they are also selected by the opposition. You probably want to avoid any game that has the potential of the phrase:

Think that's a bit unfair to IK+, The CPC version is still a lot nicer than the grey clashing mess that was the Speccy version. I actually prefer it to the C64 version, but the overrated SID chip never swayed my decision to gameplay. But back then, I often played my games with my sound down as I usually had my music on over it. Proper arcade feel, music drowning out the video game sounds lol.

I do understand your point though.

trocoloco

I would easily use any of the lists you guys showed, but just to broaden the choice I will go a few different ones

fighting - panza kick boxing
shooter out of this world
platform - stormlord
arcade adventure - Savage
racing 3D Grand Prix  (first person racing game with huuuuuge sprites) , although Continental circus is quite good IMO

I could also name others for example striker scrypts of trojan for platform or even oriental games for fighting and also Prohibition or Operation Wolf for shooting

ivarf

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 17:06, 21 January 20

They are. Dave and John Looker were responsible for both, as well as the equally awesome Road Blasters.

Thats the guys that made Alan Sugars Bus Jumpers too. I quite enjoyed that game, although its very simple

ivarf

any Last Ninja game:D

Are there more than one on the CPC? To my knowledge there is only one, a bad one. Did anyone here get any enjoyment out of CPC Last Ninja 2?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ivarf on 22:29, 21 January 20

Are there more than one on the CPC? To my knowledge there is only one, a bad one. Did anyone here get any enjoyment out of CPC Last Ninja 2?
Nope. Ninja Remix was pretty much a re-release!
I actually enjoyed it, despite it being a sluggish Speccy port. Actually finished it for the first time last year.

sigh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 22:02, 21 January 20
Proper arcade feel, music drowning out the video game sounds lol.

;D :D !

Gryzor

Quote from: trocoloco on 22:20, 21 January 20
I would easily use any of the lists you guys showed, but just to broaden the choice I will go a few different ones

fighting - panza kick boxing
shooter out of this world
platform - stormlord
arcade adventure - Savage
racing 3D Grand Prix  (first person racing game with huuuuuge sprites) , although Continental circus is quite good IMO

I could also name others for example striker scrypts of trojan for platform or even oriental games for fighting and also Prohibition or Operation Wolf for shooting

Some great suggestions in there. Panza was, I find, very fluid and entertaining, and its gfx were very near the ST version I used to play. I'm surprised it doesn't get more recognition.

Out of this World - had never heard of this one! Cute-em-up on the CPC :D It looks lovely, but scrolling is... meh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Ea7lPjfiQ

Stormlord is really good too, wish I was good at it!
And Savage looks savage!

trocoloco

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:48, 22 January 20
Out of this World - had never heard of this one! Cute-em-up on the CPC :D It looks lovely, but scrolling is... meh.

Very cute indeed, the cartoonish theme suits very well the CPC palette, it believe it is a version (bootlet perhaps?) of the Master System game  Fantasy Zone. I think it uses hardware scroll and although is not as smooth as expected it feels a tad smoother on a CTM monitor tho

Axelay

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:48, 22 January 20

That video appears to be off an emulator that doesn't implement CRTC R3 scrolling.  It should look more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-gdONnoTXA

Gryzor

Damn, that looks much much better.

Cholo

Couple of the usual suspects: AMC, Turrican 1/2, Mr. Heli, West Bank, Conbat School, Werewolves of London, Ikari Warriors, Batman the Movie, Robocop Dr. Destructo, Bomb Jack & Arcanoid, donno if they fit the categories thou. Also these may have been done a lot already  "aka lets compare Chase HQ once again" may be a bit repetitive.

So here is a few alternatives ive enjoyed: N.e.x.u.s, Elevator Action, Sai Combat, Mission Genoside, Ninja Scooter Simulator, Crazy Cars 3, After The War, Satan, Death Wish 3, Lightforce, Phantis, Dragons Lair 2 & Silkworm. These may not win any awards, but i think they all has that "easy to jump into" vibe going fun (casual) gameplay