News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Operation Wolf 1 Bug

Started by Joseman, 01:13, 30 March 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseman

Hi all

I've commented this more times but, every time I play this great game upsets me more and more :)

There is a bug (i think) on level 5, there are 5 hostages to save, but only 4 really can be saved, cause the fifth never appears, i've played this level say 20 times, and never never see the fifth hostage.

because this, on the last level, only 4 hostages can be saved, then the good ending never is showed.

in addition to this, i think there's another bug on the last level, if you die in it and use the continue,  2 of the 4 hostages again forgets to run to the aeroplane...

I think that the good ending on the amstrad includes a new screen, ¿perhaps unseen?

anyone knows something about this? it's possible to correct the bug?

Gryzor

Op Wolf? This is interesting, because it was quite popular, so I would guess people would have found that by now...

ukmarkh

I'm sure its five hostages... and no special ending other than text!!!

Joseman

Hi

I'm almost sure that there is a bug (even more of one):

[AMSTRAD CPC] Operation Wolf - Longplay (Part 2 of 2)

i've been playing the penultimate level 20 times at least over the years, and never, never the 5 hostage shows up, even if you don't kill the last soldier, and continue the level around and around and around, no way, there is no 5 hostage...

about the "secret screen", i remember, but it's a long time, perhaps i'm mistaken, but in the tape version i had, there were a section (before the last level) that never loads, but if you make the trick of charge de head of the level to load, and move the tape over this "secret" load, i remember seeing a screen of GAME OVER very different of the text ending... but perhaps i'm totally mistaked and talking from another game :S

TomEtJerry

Hello,

I agree with you, Operation wolf as some little bugs. If I remember well (not tested), at the end of the game, you should have a bonus that is never added to the final score :-). I suppose the "hostage" bug might be easily corrected.

T&J/GPA

Xyphoe

Hi Joseman!

I was about to say I agree with you and post my video - but looks like you found it anyway :)

Yep same thing for me!

Would be nice for someone to check if there's a special ending screen (I doubt it) or if as you say there should be a special bonus text added etc.
I hope someone fixes this :)

Puresox

I know this is not strictly the thread for this , but it must be said, that this game really was an absolute masterpiece on the Amstrad , I was totally shocked when I got to play this, back in the day. I couldn't believe the playability of it, along with the graphics, scrolling etc... It just looked so good and played so well. The amount of action going on, loads of sprites of all different kinds and virtually no slow down of significance , it really amazes me when you compare it with a lot of 'efforts' on the CPC.

Gryzor

Yes, it's off-topic, but I agree. I remember buying it as a present for a friend of mine (later to become my best man) on disk (I only had a 464 at the time) and it was simply awesome...

Nich

Quote from: Xyphoe on 13:09, 31 March 12
Would be nice for someone to check if there's a special ending screen (I doubt it) or if as you say there should be a special bonus text added etc.
I hope someone fixes this :)
I've had a look at the game, and I cannot find any evidence of a special ending screen.

The number of hostages you have rescued on both levels 5 and 6 is stored at &AE90. Changing this value so that the computer thinks you have rescued 5 hostages doesn't make any difference to the ending when you complete the game. The 'good' ending is the same, whether you rescue only 1 hostage or all 4/5.

However, I can't find a way to make the computer actually produce 5 hostages on level 5. I can't see any counter that the game uses to count how many hostages have appeared. I also can't fix the bug on level 6 that Joseman describes. :(

Nich

I have spent hours examining Operation Wolf and have now uploaded a new crack of the game to NVG, which you can download at ftp://ftp.nvg.ntnu.no/pub/cpc/games/arcade/operwolf.zip . :D This one works on 64K and 128K machines, unlike the previous crack.

The bug on level 5 where the fifth hostage doesn't appear hasn't been fixed. Instead, I have changed the text at the start of the level to read, "There are 4 hostages. Help them!"

The bug on level 6 that Joseman has described has been fixed. :) The game was using the same memory address to store the number of hostages rescued on level 5 and the number of hostages rescued on level 6 - so if you died on level 6 and restarted the level, only the number of hostages you have already rescued on that level will appear. (Sorry if that isn't very clear! ??? )

I have also fixed the bug that Tom et Jerry has described, so now you are awarded a $100,000 bonus to your score if you complete the game and rescue at least one hostage.

In addition, you also get the option of infinite energy, infinite continues, infinite ammo (bullets and grenades), and you can start on any level from 1 to 5. (It doesn't make much sense to allow the player to begin on level 6, as you are supposed to rescue the hostages on level 5 first!) Furthermore, your high scores can be saved to disc - but only if you don't cheat!

ervin

Holy cow Nich! That is brilliant!
I'll give this a go tonight once the kids have gone to sleep. Can't wait!

alex76gr

Great news!
Thank you Nich.
I still believe that i got my myopia from the green GT-65 monitor, but i can't prove it! :)

TomEtJerry

Hi,

Nice effort Nich, but you trick for the hostages number is not very clean :-). I recognize that the way the amount of people to save is calculated seems quite odd. I just managed at the moment to start again the "counter" poking datas at the fly.

Just set values from &AEA0 to &AEA7 to &00 while playing level 5.

Now, the main problem is to understand why it does this and how to fix this bug... We can imagine a patch that fill with zeros this area when the first hostage has been displayed (test on &AE90 & AE91 (killed guys... ) ). Not very clean anyway...

T&J/GPA

Joseman

Quote from: Nich on 23:21, 07 April 12

However, I can't find a way to make the computer actually produce 5 hostages on level 5. I can't see any counter that the game uses to count how many hostages have appeared.

Maybe the speccy code can throw some light on this?

always thought that a counter was used to control how many hostages were rescued, but seems that's not the actual way it was made.

for the sake of god, the people at ocean didn't have betatesters?, the bug is really easy to see, the first time that you pass the 5 level, you know that something is wrong :/.

anyway thanks all for the efforts!!  ;)

satchman2000

I'm "friends" with a few of the Ocean guys on Facebook, so have asked them the question of how it counts the hostages.. if I get a response, I'll let you know :)