News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Rick Dangerous 128+!!!!

Started by Gryzor, 07:59, 12 November 09

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

I just cought this at Octoate's blog: Fano, BDCiron and MacDeath are preparing an RD version tat will take advantage of the Plus' abilities, offering:

• the famous digitalised 'Whhhaaa' sample at 15Khz
  • Full levels from 16bits versions (special THX to bigorno)
  • Cutscenes with graphics from Amiga version
  • Musics from Atari ST version
  • New graphics
  • And some surprises...

Aw, c'mon guys, and you couldn't have said something here? Can't wait... can I be a beta tester? I had finished this uncheated and it remains one of my fav games...

fano

That was first a test to see how it was possible to improve CPC+ games and to have an idea about how it should look.

Rick Dangerous was a good candidate as the CPC version was great but incomplete so i started with sample and HUD but i was not able to stop adding stuff until i reached the full 16bits like version  ;D

In fact , when looking xRick by Bigorno source code and data structures i noticed CPC version is very close to 16bits versions except for few points so levels are 99% identical to 16bits versions  ;)

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:59, 12 November 09I had finished this uncheated and it remains one of my fav games...
You get all my respect  ;D but full 16bits versions are more challenging  :o
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Gryzor

xRick is an excellent port I have to say... Btw, is the full source of the original released? How are all these (and yours!) ports made?

As for difficulty - I *may* have finished it on my STFM, too, but I can't say for sure... Is it the extra levels? It must be, because otherwise I remember that the layout was really the same...?

When you finish it we'll make something special for the front page :)

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:59, 12 November 09
I just cought this at Octoate's blog: Fano, BDCiron and MacDeath are preparing an RD version tat will take advantage of the Plus' abilities, offering:

• the famous digitalised 'Whhhaaa' sample at 15Khz
  • Full levels from 16bits versions (special THX to bigorno)
  • Cutscenes with graphics from Amiga version
  • Musics from Atari ST version
  • New graphics
  • And some surprises...

Aw, c'mon guys, and you couldn't have said something here? Can't wait... can I be a beta tester? I had finished this uncheated and it remains one of my fav games...
You don't visit cpcrulez.free.fr ? It was mentioned on the forums. I don't understand French well, but I saw it there and thought cool.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

No, I rarely visit the forums... but maybe I should start!

fano

Well seen Arnoldemu  ;) i posted a prototype @cpcrulez some time ago.

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:02, 12 November 09xRick is an excellent port I have to say... Btw, is the full source of the original released? How are all these (and yours!) ports made?
Yes, it is avaible at bigorno.net (http://www.bigorno.net/xrick/).Reverse enginering is the first step.xRick code has been written from it and ressources has been ripped.Rick128+ is just a patch on game funcs.

TFM

Hi,

On the picture on Octos page is looks like that RD 128+ uses the old sprites. So just a question, will it use normal sprites or Plus sprites (what would be way better :-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Is there a color number limitation in Plus sprites?

fano

Hi TFM , yes it uses the old soft sprites code.Hard sprites have been used for the new HUD.

Sprites colors are limited to 15 (1-15) in 4K (0-4095 or 0xRRGGBB) range.

MacDeath

Hello there...

Well, I am the Re-design manager, sort of.

So of course it still use the codes with old soft sprites, but many (well, some) improuvments are being done concerning design.

It seem that the CPC sprites where ported in Mode0 wide pixels at the same time as the C64 version (most sprites but rick are Mode0 like, but as the C64 use only 3 colours per sprites, the CPC onbes where a bit...baclés ? screwed-up ?
Well, didn't get the work they deserved.

So I tryed to rework those a bit :

Re-attribution of colours, as Rick Old used only 14-15 colours in fact...
My version use 16 colours, with 15 colours also used by the sprites (and add the Extra HUD colours.

Also, I used the Plus palette.

As you know, CPC old lacked a proper Grey range.
Well, the new Rick shall get all the greys it deserves...

But I also tried to remains faithfull to the Old CPC flavour (maybe a bit too much, as would say BDC Iron...)

But my main goal was to separate the colours from the Bagrround and the forground even more.

Also the sprites lacked expression, and were so screwed up sometimes, I hope I managed to fix that enough.

So yep, it use soft sprites, and they are well coded.
Masked, and can be turned left-right so less sprites to get.

The main technic used by Fano was to add stuff thanx to the fact Rick used alsmot only 48Ko and loaded once.
With 128Ko Ram, and the possibility to load for each level, you get a lot of free space indeed.
But as you also know, the game sometimes go sluggishier/slowier.

Well, as a result, it cannot be that improoved too.

Soo extra features between levels, longer levels too because we can reload between levels.

But the core system concerning graphics and sprites managment is quite unchanged, because it was so good for a CPC game.

So no, no more than one kind of ennemies per level (as in 16 bit versions).

But complete levels and better designed sprites.

I didn't tried to get the same as on 16bit, I sttarted from the 8 bit Mode0 sprites (C64 and CPC) and modded them to get something...different and more expressive.

Hope you'll like it.

As I always say, I suck and fail at coding...
But Fano helped me a lot and the job is not finished yet.

It is the 3rd "serious" project I work for.

But, the other 2...well, they almost seem to go Vaporware, lol...

fano

Quote from: MacDeath on 16:30, 16 November 09But as you also know, the game sometimes go sluggishier/slowier.
Using raster interrupts seems to reduce that.Counterpart, as DMA list feeding is done in real time , game has slowdowns when playing sample...

Quote from: MacDeath on 16:30, 16 November 09But, the other 2...well, they almost seem to go Vaporware, lol...
you're too impatient, that's all ;)
Everyone has his own dev speed , juste be patient and their respective projects will come.

TFM

Hi Guys!

Well, to rewrite a game is at least 50% of writing a game new. Maybe sometimes even 110% ;)

And if you want to run it with ("only") 128 KB its even harder!

I'm sure you all do a fantasic work! Keep on working on it!

Can only say, I'm really looking forward to see the final result!!!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

fano

Thx TFM/FS , we are working hard on it ;)

ukmarkh

Quote from: fano on 20:27, 19 November 09
Thx TFM/FS , we are working hard on it ;)

Can we get a behind the scenes sneak peek?

fano

BDCIron is finishing loading page and its code , Macdeath is working to edit some tiles and sprites and i am preparing the work for the next project, euh i meant i am waiting for their respectives works to finalize the project.

The Goolus are an example of Macdeath's work , he made a nice work on them and they fit perfectly now :

I created some time ago a page on wiki and i'll attach disk to it when finished :
http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Rick_dangerous_128%2B

MacDeath

Have a look at the Wiki page to get the latest informations.

I hope you'll like my graphical addings.

Gryzor

Next project? WHAT NEXT PROJECT? :D

Can't wait for RD... :) WOuld it be possible to publish it somewhere? A real disk?

fano

I started to work on R-Type , i hacked half of my needs.I have another game one the idea with a unusual special feature but i'll say more when i'll be able to create a prototype  ;)

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:54, 28 November 09Can't wait for RD... :) WOuld it be possible to publish it somewhere? A real disk?
good question , i don't know who could create package and distibute it.Actually this a bit too much work for me.

Gryzor

But it wouldn' tbe your work... there are a few set ups that publish retro games, maybe we should contact them?

fano

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:24, 29 November 09there are a few set ups that publish retro games, maybe we should contact them?
That would be great , i'd have to ask other members of the team but i think they would be ok.

What about are legal issues as original game right belongs to Core and Firebird , i remember spoutnick team had problems about this when making RD3.
Since it stays free , it can be considered as fan art and there is a tolerance but what about a selling disk that contains original code and gfx of original Rick.

more news : i finished to use a bit of courage to write my own FDC code so , not only you'll have high score but they will be saved on disk and visible on CATalogue (that's not as good and complex as CAT's Art visible at Sylvestre site but it is fun)

ingame :

catalogue :

I am hunting lastest bugs on my CPC+ but this poor thing have a contact problem with alimentation plug ans that seems to cause random bugs , i'll need to change it.

Devilmarkus

The imageshack screens don't work well :(
I will attach your files here...

(Click on Additional Options, there you can attach files)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

fano

Gryzor

Wow, the cat idea is awesome :D

As for legal issues... I think you're right :( I'm sure that with Core, the RD IP belongs to someone... :(

Cpcmaniaco

Perhaps you can do it like Codemaster company and change the name to : "Rick Dangerous 128+ SIMULATOR".

Gryzor

HAHAHA! That was a gooooood one :D