General Category > Games

Rob Hubbard interview from1985 in Popular Computing Weekly

(1/4) > >>

ComSoft6128:
Looking for some info on Dragon's Lair I ran across this at CPCRulez:

https://cpcrulez.fr/auteur-rob_hubbard.htm

So, not a big fan of the CPC......

norecess:

--- Quote ---"I bought the Amstrad simply because there's so much work around for it. Frankly, though, it's like going from a Rolls to a Morris Minor. The monitor leads are too short, the speaker's pathetic, and the sound chip! OK, the graphics are good, and the disc drive is unbelievably fast against the Commodore -though not as reliable. I've lost stuff on it already, and that's never happened on the 1541, despite a lot of hard use. But as a programmer, I find the Amstrad unfathomable. Maybe I'm impatient, coming from a machine I know inside out, and immediately wanting to jump in the deep end. I'm transcribing some of my Commodore work for other people to code, but I think it'll be a long while before I do anything commercial myself on it."
Rob smiles.
--- End quote ---
He has some totally valid points, about the monitor leads being too short and the speaker. Note that both of those issues have been fixed later with the Amstrad Plus.

EDIT: there were existing expansion cables for the leads, and you could connect your CPC to a Audio HI-FI system, so that was a false problem.

Gryzor:
Oh it only took 5 years for Sugar to fix these😀

ComSoft6128:

--- Quote from: norecess on 21:08, 01 December 21 ---He has some totally valid points, about the monitor leads being too short and the speaker. Note that both of those issues have been fixed later with the Amstrad Plus.

EDIT: there were existing expansion cables for the leads, and you could connect your CPC to a Audio HI-FI system, so that was a false problem.

--- End quote ---

We sold extension leads for the CPC and Plus range in the nineties (I'm still using a few of them) and I think a few companies sold them in the eighties but did Amstrad produce their own?

And yes the speaker was rubbish but what did the other 8-bit competition have?

Finally, the interview dates from 85 so maybe his perception/appreciation of it changed over time?

Mmm, rereading again I notice the only Amstrad mentioned is a PCW - surely he couldn't have been referring to that?  :o

Checking one last time - "I bought the Amstrad simply because there's so much work around for it" - so must be the CPC.

Gryzor:
I find it really stupid to complain about the leads and the speaker. The sound chip, perhaps, ok, coming from the SID. Unreliable drive? Ahem...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version