News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Robotron 6128 WIP

Started by lachlank, 08:53, 26 June 09

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

Quote from: lachlank on 11:42, 12 July 09
Hi that would be cool if you want to do some music for the title screen... I was going to do a lame replica of the high score music that plays on the arcade version, but am open to anything you may come up with.

I've actually been searching to see if I could find any music from the original version. /me not using MAME so....
Maybe I should try installing MAME and download the original version.

Quote from: lachlank on 11:42, 12 July 09
I don't know much about STarKos's format - I've only played with the firmware sound functions so far... So if someone can give me an assembly "driver" prog that works in WinAPE that would be good.

There is a driver on the STarKos DSK image. At lots of good info here:
http://www.grimware.org/doku.php/documentations/software/starkos/start

EDIT: Can you send me the original version?

lachlank

Quote from: mr_lou on 11:54, 12 July 09
I've actually been searching to see if I could find any music from the original version. /me not using MAME so....
Maybe I should try installing MAME and download the original version.

There is a driver on the STarKos DSK image. At lots of good info here:
http://www.grimware.org/doku.php/documentations/software/starkos/start
Had a look at the STarKos documentation, looks pretty straightforward to incorporate, and I have plenty of spare memory at this stage as all graphics are pretty basic. I would suggest having a listen to that high score music in Robotron arcade, as if you could come up with a variation on that it would be pretty cool. Easy to find the ROM for MAME  ;)

mr_lou

Ok, found the game... now I just have to get mame working here. Seems to be troublesome.

mr_lou

Alright. Got MAME working, and played the game, and made a highscore, but I heard no music. Just some noises when typing my nick. Are you sure there's supposed to be music when highscore is displayed?

lachlank

Quote from: mr_lou on 13:02, 12 July 09
Alright. Got MAME working, and played the game, and made a highscore, but I heard no music. Just some noises when typing my nick. Are you sure there's supposed to be music when highscore is displayed?

Hmmm yeah I just had another listen, it's quite brief, just a little ditty really. Was just a thought; I'd be open to anything robotron-esque.

mr_lou

Quote from: lachlank on 13:08, 12 July 09
Hmmm yeah I just had another listen, it's quite brief, just a little ditty really. Was just a thought; I'd be open to anything robotron-esque.

Ok. I'll try doing something Robotron-sounding (according to me). Hope you will agree when it's done. :)
It'll just be a short track for the menu.

Ygdrazil

Heh, Robotron now includes a tune, you sure are fast movers!!  ;D

Quote from: mr_lou on 18:45, 12 July 09
Ok. I'll try doing something Robotron-sounding (according to me). Hope you will agree when it's done. :)
It'll just be a short track for the menu.

mr_lou

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 12:24, 13 July 09
Heh, Robotron now includes a tune, you sure are fast movers!!  ;D

Yes. :)
It wasn't quite correct first time though. Played back at 50hz instead of 100hz as it should, but it's fixed now.

How would people recommend doing sound-effects? Is it possible to use STarKos instruments as sound-effects? How? Or what else would you recommend?

mr_lou

Quote from: mr_lou on 13:39, 13 July 09
Is it possible to use STarKos instruments as sound-effects?

Well I heard from Targhan, who informs me that using STarKos instruments (SKI files) as sound effects isn't currently possible. He's thinking about doing a hack to make it possible in the future though.

So, other suggestions on how to to make sound-effects?

Ygdrazil

If any suggestions I would be interested to!

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: mr_lou on 16:52, 13 July 09
Well I heard from Targhan, who informs me that using STarKos instruments (SKI files) as sound effects isn't currently possible. He's thinking about doing a hack to make it possible in the future though.

So, other suggestions on how to to make sound-effects?

Ygdrazil

Great game  :D

I have improved my skills...

I had a bit of trouble blasting those robots shooting back at you.

On wave 4 there is some problems with graphics i think, and when starting wave 5 the game crashes ..  ...

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: mr_lou on 13:39, 13 July 09
Yes. :)
It wasn't quite correct first time though. Played back at 50hz instead of 100hz as it should, but it's fixed now.

How would people recommend doing sound-effects? Is it possible to use STarKos instruments as sound-effects? How? Or what else would you recommend?

lachlank

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 10:58, 14 July 09
Great game  :D

I have improved my skills...

I had a bit of trouble blasting those robots shooting back at you.

On wave 4 there is some problems with graphics i think, and when starting wave 5 the game crashes ..  ...

/Ygdrazil
Err yeah, I've got to add some more graphics now, got to sort out how to do the next level with the tanks, then that's about it, apart from sound effects!

Baby on the way in the next couple of days might slow down progress though :( On the other hand, may speed it up as I have two weeks of paternity leave :)

Lachlan

Ygdrazil

Hi Lachlank!

No hurry!!

.. it's not like if it a matter of life and death! I just fancy your game!

/Ygdrazil

PS. Any chance that Amsprite in the future will include support for CPC plus sprites?

Quote from: lachlank on 13:28, 14 July 09
Err yeah, I've got to add some more graphics now, got to sort out how to do the next level with the tanks, then that's about it, apart from sound effects!

Baby on the way in the next couple of days might slow down progress though :( On the other hand, may speed it up as I have two weeks of paternity leave :)

Lachlan

lachlank

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 23:25, 14 July 09
PS. Any chance that Amsprite in the future will include support for CPC plus sprites?
Of course! Just let me know (or point me to somewhere on the web) that describes how they are defined (i.e. how many colours, size, etc) and how you would like the output assembly/binary file or whatever to look.

Ygdrazil

That would be GREAT!

CPC plus sprites are very simple. The ASIC is a big help here - no need to fiddle around with strange byte to pixel manipulation for different modes etc.

I have made a quick article on the CPCWIKI that explains the most basic about CPC plus sprites. I will put more info ASAP!

http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Amstrad_CPC_plus_sprite_format

(hmmm.. link not working?? Howcome?)

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: lachlank on 23:35, 14 July 09
Of course! Just let me know (or point me to somewhere on the web) that describes how they are defined (i.e. how many colours, size, etc) and how you would like the output assembly/binary file or whatever to look.

lachlank

OK I've made the changes to AMSprite - you can download the latest version from the WIKI page http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/AMSprite.

For some reason it's not letting me edit the page at the moment, so I haven't updated the text, just the files.

Try it out and see if it works for you...

Lachlan

Gryzor

I fixed the link in the first post.

Also, about not being able to edit - do you still get the problem??

Ygdrazil

Hi Lachlank

Thanks a lot for the including CPC plus sprites(you being a fast mover). Just had a go on Amsprite and indeed CPC plus sprites are generated, great!!!!  :) Amsprite is a super useful program and have helped us alot making graphics quick.. This is what the scene needs - good and usefull crossplatform tools to help creating content for the CPC fast and in a comfortable way.

I feel a bit bad about asking you for features as I know you must be a busy man (with baby comming) I think Amsprite has great potential - hope you will continue to develop it in the future (I have many great ideas ;D )

Thanks again
/Ygdrazil

Quote from: lachlank on 08:09, 15 July 09
OK I've made the changes to AMSprite - you can download the latest version from the WIKI page http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/AMSprite.

For some reason it's not letting me edit the page at the moment, so I haven't updated the text, just the files.

Try it out and see if it works for you...

Lachlan

lachlank

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 10:58, 15 July 09
Hi Lachlank

Thanks a lot for the including CPC plus sprites(you being a fast mover). Just had a go on Amsprite and indeed CPC plus sprites are generated, great!!!!  :) Amsprite is a super useful program and have helped us alot making graphics quick.. This is what the scene needs - good and usefull crossplatform tools to help creating content for the CPC fast and in a comfortable way.

I feel a bit bad about asking you for features as I know you must be a busy man (with baby comming) I think Amsprite has great potential - hope you will continue to develop it in the future (I have many great ideas ;D )

Thanks again
/Ygdrazil
Hi, thanks for the encouragement. Having now learnt a little bit about what the "plus" models can do I wouldn't mind trying a game for them next perhaps...

Please feel free to offer advice for AMSprite, it is really very simple to modify, being all written in VB.Net - Microsoft really got that right for once! It is amazing how spoilt we are with modern languages, when you go back and try to write assembly!

Lachlan

mr_lou

Hey, what's the status on this project?
I sent a "new level" sound effect some time ago. Was is ok?

lachlank

Quote from: mr_lou on 20:40, 22 July 09
Hey, what's the status on this project?
I sent a "new level" sound effect some time ago. Was is ok?
Hi, that's weird as I didn't receive a message?? I thought you must have been too busy to reply!

Something maybe went wrong with the Wiki forum message system???

Send it to my email lachlankeown (gmail).

Look forward to seeing it! I ended up making my own one in StarKos which sounds crap, so I'm sure yours will be better.

Lachlan

Devilmarkus

Really cool to read about your WIP.

If you want to test the WIP in CPC-Wiki forum, open this link:
http://cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php/topic,285.msg2417.html

Cheers,
Markus
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Devilmarkus

A quick suggestion:
The TFGH keys are a bit "strange" for me.
Wouldn't it be possible to code a "redefine keys" routine?
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

lachlank

Quote from: CPC-Live on 12:23, 23 July 09
A quick suggestion:
The TFGH keys are a bit "strange" for me.
Wouldn't it be possible to code a "redefine keys" routine?
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, due to either the CPC key system and/or the PC key system, I am only able to get certain key combinations to work together without conflicting. If you have any suggestions for a workaround, I would be keen to hear it!

Cheers

mr_lou

Quote from: lachlank on 23:48, 22 July 09
Hi, that's weird as I didn't receive a message?? I thought you must have been too busy to reply!

Something maybe went wrong with the Wiki forum message system???

Send it to my email lachlankeown (gmail).

Look forward to seeing it! I ended up making my own one in StarKos which sounds crap, so I'm sure yours will be better.

Hm, that is weird indeed. It's not listed in my Sent items either. Maybe I did something wrong.
Anyway, the url to the dsk is the same as earlier, but I also sent you a mail now.