News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Robotron 6128 WIP

Started by lachlank, 08:53, 26 June 09

Previous topic - Next topic

lachlank

Hi all, I started trying to write a quick CPC version of Robotron...

Check it out here. Only one days work so far so pretty crude!

Use WSAD and cursor keys for control...

Hopefully can get it looking and feeling a bit more like the arcade version...

Lachlan

Ygdrazil

Hay, thats cute  :D

But it's way to hard!

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: lachlank on 08:53, 26 June 09
Hi all, I started trying to write a quick CPC version of Robotron...

Check it out here. Only one days work so far so pretty crude!

Use WSAD and cursor keys for control...

Hopefully can get it looking and feeling a bit more like the arcade version...

Lachlan

Gryzor

voXfReaX

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:54, 26 June 09
Page doesn't load? :(

It loads correctly man!!! You have to have installed Java before you click to play the game!
When you install Java, just click the URL given and just wait for some time...
It starts :)

we speak,
voxfreax

Gryzor

Ah yes, I didn't expect it'd only load the applet...

Damn hard!!!! But not bad for a day's worth of coding. I think it may look and play better in mode 1 because it will enlarge the playing area, and it totally needs that...

Ygdrazil

Yes! Very Nice for days work! I think in the original Robotron, the player could shoot the the robots! This might make the game more easy!...

Or like Gryzor say make the playing area larger like making use of mode 1.

Also a tune(as always) would make the atmosphere of the game better.

But very nice work indeed!

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:01, 26 June 09
Ah yes, I didn't expect it'd only load the applet...

Damn hard!!!! But not bad for a day's worth of coding. I think it may look and play better in mode 1 because it will enlarge the playing area, and it totally needs that...

Gryzor

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 11:15, 26 June 09
Yes! Very Nice for days work! I think in the original Robotron, the player could shoot the the robots! This might make the game more easy!...

Or like Gryzor say make the playing area larger like making use of mode 1.

Also a tune(as always) would make the atmosphere of the game better.

But very nice work indeed!

/Ygdrazil

You *can* shoot with the cursor keys, but you don't have the time :D As for the tune, give him a break, this is only one day in the project!

Ygdrazil

Cursor keys did'nt notice that.. nice.

He He, about the tune! Yes I was a bit demanding there  ::) 

Keep up the nice work

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:18, 26 June 09
You *can* shoot with the cursor keys, but you don't have the time :D As for the tune, give him a break, this is only one day in the project!

Carnivius

Will try this later.  Robotron is by far and away my most favorite arcade game of all time.  But I loathe playing it on a keyboard.  Gotta be twin sticks like my dual x-arcades or the d-pad and face buttons of my PSP.  But anyways I'll be keen to see how this goes.

By the way for single joystick mode the good ol' hold fire button down to 'lock' direction always worked well as a second best to two sticks.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Ygdrazil

Great fun, I have survived three waves by now!

Really great!.. But difficult!

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: Carnivac on 17:00, 26 June 09
Will try this later.  Robotron is by far and away my most favorite arcade game of all time.  But I loathe playing it on a keyboard.  Gotta be twin sticks like my dual x-arcades or the d-pad and face buttons of my PSP.  But anyways I'll be keen to see how this goes.

Executioner

I can't control anything with WASD, just keep running into things.

lachlank

Have upgraded the WIP to latest version... added a few more enemies, levels, attract screen etc. Still lots missing yet. Any feedback appreciated.

http://mameemu.com/robotron/index.htm

Quote from: Executioner on 03:43, 01 July 09
I can't control anything with WASD, just keep running into things.
Hmm should work... try a different browser perhaps... I use Chrome. Or maybe upgrade Java runtime... otherwise dunno  :P .

Executioner

Quote from: lachlank on 12:09, 01 July 09
Hmm should work... try a different browser perhaps... I use Chrome. Or maybe upgrade Java runtime... otherwise dunno  :P .

It works, but I keep running into things because my brain can't cope with WASD on my left hand. May be better if the running was on the cursor keys and fire on WASD, or perhaps optional for left handed people.

khisanth

Thats an excellent effort so far! Its definitely got the looks spot on.

Just need to sort out the collision detection and try, get some audio and give a little bit more room to manoeuver in.

really impressed  :)

khisanth

Quote from: Executioner on 02:28, 02 July 09
It works, but I keep running into things because my brain can't cope with WASD on my left hand. May be better if the running was on the cursor keys and fire on WASD, or perhaps optional for left handed people.

you obviously never play any dual control shooters on xbox 360 or psn like geometry wars or even robotron! you always control movement on the left and shooting on the right. just like the original!

Executioner

Quote from: khisanth on 12:43, 10 July 09
you always control movement on the left and shooting on the right. just like the original!

Actually, I do, but that's with analogue sticks, not a bunch of keys where the down button is in between the left and right :)

Gryzor

Yeah, but what can you do? I think it's good enough... dual joysticks anyone? :D

lachlank

Hi, I've updated the WIP with my latest version, still missing lots of things like sound and other enemies etc. Have added an alternative control method: For those with a joystick, they can use that to move and the keyboard to fire.

Ygdrazil

Hi

Super cute and very nice  :) Hard but addictive and playable.

I really like the amount of baddies..

Somehow shooting down, while moving is not so responsive.. is this supposed to be?

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: lachlank on 14:13, 11 July 09
Hi, I've updated the WIP with my latest version, still missing lots of things like sound and other enemies etc. Have added an alternative control method: For those with a joystick, they can use that to move and the keyboard to fire.

Axelay

Quote from: lachlank on 14:13, 11 July 09

Any chance of a disk image?  The emulation only runs at about 5 fps on my system using that.

mr_lou

Quote from: Axelay on 18:19, 11 July 09
Any chance of a disk image?  The emulation only runs at about 5 fps on my system using that.

Yea, I second that. Emulation way too slow here too.

lachlank

Disk image attached...

Axelay

mr_lou

Quote from: lachlank on 00:22, 12 July 09
Disk image attached...

Great! Finally got to try it out. Pretty addictive.  :)
What do you have in mind for music and sound-effects? If you need any music I can try doing something in STarKos.

lachlank

Quote from: mr_lou on 07:14, 12 July 09
What do you have in mind for music and sound-effects? If you need any music I can try doing something in STarKos.
Hi that would be cool if you want to do some music for the title screen... I was going to do a lame replica of the high score music that plays on the arcade version, but am open to anything you may come up with.

I don't know much about STarKos's format - I've only played with the firmware sound functions so far... So if someone can give me an assembly "driver" prog that works in WinAPE that would be good.

In fact, a wiki article on game music/sfx would be useful if someone has the knowledge, as I have plagiarised the sprite routines, high score routines etc from the wiki, very useful when you're starting out.

Lachlan