News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Rock'n Wrestle - one of the best early wrestling games?

Started by Loki, 19:20, 28 June 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Loki

Okay, granted it didn't have much competition and it was far from perfect, but thinking back to Rock'n Wrestle, for a 1985 wrestling game I think it was way ahead of its time. I'm actually hard pushed to think of many other good wrestling games from the 8 and even 16 bit eras, most seemed to be very limited in terms of gameplay and the moves you could do. I remember playing Rock'n Wrestle loads as a kid, loved it back then but it's only looking back at how bad some of the "official" wrestling games that followed it over the years were that I appreciate just how impressive the gameplay was in Rock'n Wrestle and how it allowed you to pull off such a wide range of different wrestling moves, from suplexes to piledrivers and even launching yourself from the turnbuckle! It might not have been the most polished looking game but it was a lot of fun and I think it took some years before we started seeing wrestling games that let you perform anything more than a handful of moves. For 1985, I think Rock'n Wrestle had a lot going for it that's only really appreciated with hindsight. Anybody else remember this one? Anybody agree?

BSC

I loved that game! I remember playing it with my brother, we had some good laughs over the hilarious animations of some of the characters and the sound effects when they were slapped or kicked. Loads of fun with a really simple game. Thanks for reminding me :D
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

sigh

The animation on that game was excellent. The C64 version - pure fun!

Shaun M. Neary

This gets a lot of love from me. First wrestling game I ever played on the CPC in 89, I actually didn't know it was so old.
It's blocky as hell, but it's also colourful, although I don't understand why some of the characters are blue and green, what, did they hire martians to go to the ring?  :laugh:

There's nothing more satisfying than draining your opponents energy down to zero, flinging him off the ropes for a cross body block.
Or the splash off the top rope!

Think I'll get a couple of rounds in later. :D
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Vince on 19:06, 01 July 20

I'm not remotely into wrestling. Not the modern stuff, anyway, but I really enjoy this game!

You as I probably remember 'real' Wrestling on World of Sport in the 80s?

You mean British wrestling? I tried to watch it, it was pretty painful and the lack of production value made it an eyesore compared to it's American counterparts. It was always Big Daddy vs Giant Haystacks which got boring very quickly too. Although if memory serves me well, a 16 year old David Smith who went on to become The British Bulldog featured on that show a handful of times. :)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

sigh

Quote from: Vince on 19:06, 01 July 20

I'm not remotely into wrestling. Not the modern stuff, anyway, but I really enjoy this game!

You as I probably remember 'real' Wrestling on World of Sport in the 80s?
I remember World of Sport in the 80's too. They used to have a lot of other interesting and obscure sports.