News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Rodland

Started by sigh, 15:19, 25 May 11

Previous topic - Next topic

GUNHED

Maybe the sprites would look better if they don't have the black edging. This is great for spectrum, but not for mode 1 or 0 on CPC.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

VincentGR

Quote from: GUNHED on 18:20, 28 March 20
Maybe the sprites would look better if they don't have the black edging. This is great for spectrum, but not for mode 1 or 0 on CPC.  :)

It's like the original on the arcade and the 16bit versions, all have outlines.

OneVision

Quote from: VincentGR on 18:34, 28 March 20

It's like the original on the arcade and the 16bit versions, all have outlines.

Indeed. If sprites are not oulined they fade into background and this can lead to visibility problems.
I'm sticking as much as I can to the arcade/Amiga version with of course the mode 0 resolution.

Carnivius

Quote from: GUNHED on 18:20, 28 March 20
Well that's all my graphics crapped on then. :P  I like using black outlines most of the time.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

VincentGR

The main sprite when it looks at you seems to be exactly the same and moves just the face while the hair don't move.
I am not judging, I just mention it  ;D

OneVision

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Nice graphics - I reckon you could use a raster on that title screen to get more colours after the logo part which takes up a bunch.
But nice use of spot sprites.

sigh

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 17:13, 24 March 20
It would do very well on the standard CPC in 16-color, Mode 0 

P.S. - The photo is not mine. It had been posted a long time ago on this discussion but the image is no longer available! ;)
Hello! I have been away for 3 months and was not able to log onto this site from the location I was in. It kept on saying that access was denied (?). Anyway - I came back to the UK yesterday and am trying to do some catching up on the forum.

The Rodland graphics I had created were taken from the Amiga version and redrawn with some optimization. This included the two main sprites which I traced into wide pixel format, the first level enemies and special effects.The background was also taken from the Amiga and was "sort of" optimized, but the Amiga has more vertical pixels on the screen than the CPC, so the top of it is a little chopped off. At that time of doing the graphics, I wanted to see if it was possible to just do a flat out direct copy, with as little graphical optimization as possible. This is quite illogical of course, but I just wanted to find out a little more of the CPC capabilities.
I think I also completed the background tiles for the castle level where you have the bunny rabbit enemies. All the sheets are somewhere on my old thinkpad computer.

sigh

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 17:13, 24 March 20
It would do very well on the standard CPC in 16-color, Mode 0 

P.S. - The photo is not mine. It had been posted a long time ago on this discussion but the image is no longer available! ;)

Hello! I have been away for 3 months and was not able to log onto this site from the location I was in. It kept on saying that access was denied (?). Anyway - I came back to the UK yesterday and am trying to do some catching up on the forum.

The Rodland graphics I had created were taken from the Amiga version and redrawn with some optimization. This included the two main sprites which I traced into wide pixel format, the first level enemies and special effects.The background was also taken from the Amiga and was "sort of" optimized, but the Amiga has more vertical pixels on the screen than the CPC, so the top of it is a little chopped off. At that time of doing the graphics, I wanted to see if it was possible to just do a flat out direct copy, with as little graphical optimization as possible. This is quite illogical of course, but I just wanted to find out a little more of the CPC capabilities.
I think I also completed the background tiles for the castle level where you have the bunny rabbit enemies. All the sheets are somewhere on my old thinkpad computer.

Gryzor

Hello Sigh, welcome back!

Some countries are sadly blocked due to spam influx from time to time. Instead of building defenses, and since those countries have minimal real interest in the CPC entire IP ranges are blocked from accessing the site.

If you, or anyone else, find yourself in such a position in the future, do email me and I'll resolve the issue. Or contact me on Twitter (@krakout).

VincentGR

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:19, 19 June 20
Hello Sigh, welcome back!

Some countries are sadly blocked due to spam influx from time to time. Instead of building defenses, and since those countries have minimal real interest in the CPC entire IP ranges are blocked from accessing the site.

If you, or anyone else, find yourself in such a position in the future, do email me and I'll resolve the issue. Or contact me on Twitter (@krakout).

Sometimes google dns helps or a free vpn.

Gryzor

Not "sometimes", always :)

pelrun

Explains why I can't get to the forums when I'm at work, though now I'm wondering what country I appear to be from when I'm there! :D

Gryzor

Huh, that's weird - a little bit.

In general I use compiled IP range lists that exist online to fight spambots, but of course an IP range cannot always be attributed 100% correctly. So mistakes can happen.

If you can tell me what error you see, but also if you can send me your IP at work, I'll look into it!

sigh

Found some of them. The sprite sheet I was using was from the Arcade and not the Amiga :picard:

sigh

Here are the rest that I found:

sigh

...the last background I had worked on:

Vince

It's a small world.

I am currently working on a game using the Rodland sprites as placeholders. I think I have all of the graphics aside from the Ladder and Flowers from both the Arcade and Amiga versions.

There are frames for the characters all crying but I never have noticed them doing this either on the Arcade or Amiga? Maybe it only happens when you hit a baddie then leave them alone rather than killing them?

First thing I did was I got rid of all of those.

You probably know about the hidden sequel / levels ? The Fairy that you see in the Amiga and other versions is actually the one from the hidden game.

Edit: Spelling.

Mr. DVG

Quote from: Vince on 14:03, 22 June 20
It's a small world.

I am currently working on a game using the Rodland sprites as placeholders. I think I have all of the graphics aside from the Ladder and Flowers from both the Arcade and Amiga versions.

There are frames for the characters all crying but I never have noticed them doing this either on the Arcade or Amiga? Maybe it only happens when you hit a baddie then leave them alone rather than killing them?

First thing I did was I got rid of all of those.

You probably know about the hidden sequel / levels ? The Fairy that you see in the Amiga and other versions is actually the one from the hidden game.

Edit: Spelling.
I highlight this second part (activated with a cheat mode in the original arcade) in an information sheet that I made years ago on my wiki.

Sorry, the sheet is very comprehensive, but the language is only Italian... :-\

http://www.dizionariovideogiochi.it/doku.php?id=rod-land

Vince

@Mr. DVG, I thought that if you complete the game without losing a life, that you can also activate the bonus game/levels ?

Am I wrong?

It is a wonderful game. Every version seems to be very good, though the CPC is one is very slow. It looks pretty good.

I understand the idea of the remake it makes perfect sense, unlike some other remakes.  :D

Vince

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 18:17, 22 June 20
I highlight this second part (activated with a cheat mode in the original arcade) in an information sheet that I made years ago on my wiki.

Sorry, the sheet is very comprehensive, but the language is only Italian... :-\

http://www.dizionariovideogiochi.it/doku.php?do=search&id=rod-land

ah! grazie mille

quel link non ha funzionato, ma ho trovato questo, lo fa!

Molto completo! Lo stamperò, davvero molto utile!

Saluti!

English: That like does not work, but I found this one, that does. It is very comprehensive, I will print it, thank you
  :D

Mr. DVG

Quote from: Vince on 18:35, 22 June 20

ah! grazie mille

quel link non ha funzionato, ma ho trovato questo, lo fa!

Molto completo! Lo stamperò, davvero molto utile!

Saluti!

English: That like does not work, but I found this one, that does. It is very comprehensive, I will print it, thank you
  :D

It is always activated via cheat mode. This trick is revealed when you finish the game in the arcade version.

The Amstrad version is terrible, let's hope someone does justice to this beautiful game! :D

Vince

@Mr. DVG

ah , Yes, now I remember. A bit like with Bubble Bobble! This game and its ways, but brilliant in its own right!

Your site is very well done. It takes a lot of work to do such a thing!