News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Shinobi Remaster - Released

Started by Fmtrx, 17:31, 08 February 20

Previous topic - Next topic

kawickboy

What's the next step ? Asking Mc Klain to adapt tunes and to add an option original/remaster like modern coin op conversion ?

Fmtrx

Thank you all for your constructive criticism, sure there is room for improvement. I will see what i can do.

However I had to remove the link for now, for a couple of hours until i manage to include the removed musician as someone noted.
The removed name may seem as an action of an 'unkind' person, but this was not my intention; to be unkind to the musician.
The bytes that can be used to write the credits are only a few and i will have to cut short some names or anything else i can.

Besides i had already declared that i have in my mind to create a title screen to include everyone original & new people.

If anyone is able to help, I would like to include the title screen which matches the arcade, with the names of new people, and leave the next gray screen with the original authors as is. This is the best solution, i just need help on this section how to insert the new title screen. Not only the musician, but also the original Gfx designer's name  should be present as well!

Next step is to update bonus stage, add enhanced music if anyone offers.

TotO

Quote from: Fmtrx on 13:46, 10 February 20If anyone is able to help, I would like to include the title screen which matches the arcade
I'm taking a look... (wip with some rasters)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Fmtrx

I have already created a version in CPC colors and resolution. It is clean without the SEGA logo and without credits. To tell you the truth i would not like to destroy the pic by putting the credits here. Perhaps I would put credits in a separate screen after the this new title screen. and then continue with the classic gray screen with the original credits. I will send you the pic when i return home.

Targhan

QuoteAdd enhanced music if anyone offers
Be very wary about what memory you have left! You may want to integrate a player with a demo music first, before involving a musician, just to be sure on the technical side.

Arkos Tracker 2 may be the ideal tool :) (see my signature).
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

TotO

Quote from: Fmtrx on 14:51, 10 February 20I have already created a version in CPC colors and resolution. It is clean without the SEGA logo and without credits.
The arcade screen embed the Sega logo, but depending of the final usage, it could be optional here.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Fmtrx

i had created this last week by converting from arcade and recoloring and removing text.

fano

Quote from: Targhan on 15:05, 10 February 20
Be very wary about what memory you have left! You may want to integrate a player with a demo music first, before involving a musician, just to be sure on the technical side.

Arkos Tracker 2 may be the ideal tool :) (see my signature).
Would not be an issue as i'm used to use AT and the game uses the 0xC5 bank to locate the music player and data.I didn't isolate sfx routines for now but i think AT would give better SFX.
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Fmtrx

Finished the game yesterday? Well fire it up again and repeat fellas!  V1.02 is out.
It is a good excuse to play some more shinobi. Isn't it ?

Remember you have a good excuse if your GF or your wife comments: "are you playing again this @#$@$?"
You have a good answer: "But it is Version 1.02 my love!"
(do not base your defense only with this. Prepare to get her out for a nice dinner afterwards, to compensate ;) )

I adjusted the issue with the brightness of Mission 1. Fixed a couple of texture as well in other missions.
Regarding the music, Fano told me that we have 32 kb free. These could be utilized for a couple of new frames or for the new music. He will see what is feasible.
Saying this, I will note that the original Music by Tiny is excellent, all the correct notes are played and the tempo is correct.
What we could have is to use a more advanced synthesizer that will produce richer music output.

kawickboy

Toto you screen is great. Or maybe Sylvestre should make a special enhanced "flashouille" ?

Targhan

QuoteSaying this, I will note that the original Music by Tiny is excellent
I do agree!

QuoteOr maybe Sylvestre should make a special enhanced "flashouille" ?
Don't ask anything to Sylvestre unless you want to wait 10 years for your screen...
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

kawickboy

On "le mur de Berlin..." he wasn't so long. I loved this screen indeed.

Targhan

"Le mur de Berlin" was quite a few years back. Anyway, this is out of topic and I might be wrong, but don't hope too much.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

kawickboy

Better/more accurate magics ?

Targhan: do you know if McKlain is working with AT2 ?

TotO

Quote from: Fmtrx on 14:51, 10 February 20
Perhaps I would put credits in a separate screen after the this new title screen.
Like on R-Type, you should have a title screen to start to play or go to the game options and see the credits, and more...

Gryzor

That's actually a great idea :)

Targhan

QuoteTarghan: do you know if McKlain is working with AT2 ?
He's using AT1 to my knowledge (which works fine too). I cannot speak on his behalf, but I did all the SlapFight 2020 music because he had no time to do it, so I'm not sure he would find time for Shinobi, which has less music. Once again, I might be wrong!
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Fmtrx

I do not know if it is feasible to extract the notes of current soundtrack, which are fine as they are, and then feed them to the AT which would produce a deeper, of higher quality music output?

VincentGR

The track is fine but it needs a bit of bass for my taste  ;D
AT has some fantastic sounds for that.

Targhan

QuoteI do not know if it is feasible to extract the notes of current soundtrack, which are fine as they are, and then feed them to the AT which would produce a deeper, of higher quality music output?
It is possible, but it requires to understand and parse the format of the original music, and convert it to AT. It is faaar simpler to reproduce it by ear directly into the new music software. Plus it allows more creativity to the musician.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Fmtrx

i see. well if it has an unknown encoding or needs hacking yes it may not be worth the hassle.

regarding the title screen of Toto and the menu he proposes, i think this is the one we should use.

Fmtrx

Sprites and their issues.

There is one more sprite i thought that it would benefit from an update.
The cool Guandao Warrior.

Interesting historical fact: Did you know that this Crescent moon blade (Guandao) weighted up to 81 kgs and was
used by Chinese warriors to test and prove their strength by performing maneuvers in order to become military officers?
Watching how easily they throw the blade in the game like a boomerang, i can only say that the warriors of the game are exceptionally strong. Stronger than Hercules, (or Atlas to exaggerate a little)
Which means that Musashi's kick and punch has the power of a bulldozer to bring down such a powerful opponent with only a single hit. Think about this![size=78%] [/size] ;)

The picture shows the 3 basic positions. 1 : standing, 2: alert/aim  3: shoot
starting from the original sprite (1st column) , the redesigned (2nd column) , and the arcade sprite for reference (3rd column).

The issue here is that the sprite width is already very narrow in this game; only 12 pixels.
To accommodate such a wide man,  the sprite needs some modification, which is evident from the result.
The second issue is that once more we have the infamous sprite/tile economy, by utilizing the same half sprite for different
sprites.
See 2 and 3, the original sprite shares the same legs.
So i will not be able to use the legs of my redesigned sprite in 3. Thus i used legs from 2, with some modifications so that
they can fit in both different cases.

The same issue i had with the main sprite in which i had designed the jump up position, but could not use it, because the same frame is used when ...crouching!  :picard:  So this lower part of the body that defined the jump up frame was ditched.
The only update i could do there was to define inclination at the upper half of the body, as in the arcade sprite.

I have also retouched some textures adding more detail.
As soon as we have the new title screen from Fano and Toto, i will include all updates in V1.03.

kawickboy

On the original release the Guandao warrior seemed to be sitted.

Fmtrx

This is correct.
Arcade has three postures. When he is idle he is standing, and when he notices you, he bends and uses a couple of frames
for walking back and forth.

The original in cpc  omitted the standing phase and allocated 2 frames showing him sitting in both frames
, and the second frame had his leg extended for the walk cycle.

I am experimenting here with the following:
I will allocate the one sitting frame of the original  to a standing pose, as in the arcade. Why ? I find it cooler and more natural to have him standing and not always in the sitting position like he is tired or something! Guandao warrior tired?  ::)

Then i will allocate the second frame to a sitting position with a movement in legs.

Thus when he notices player, leaves standing position, bends with extending his leg to move towards player. Then he remains
standing. The behavior is not 100% as in the original, but we have two frames only to work, and it is a good compromise i think to avoid having him sitting all the time like he is taking a *BEEEP*   ;D

I will see how it goes through testing though.

I really hope that we could be able to embed some missing frames to this game provided the fact that we could have space
and the appropriate hack.

Good news is that i have noticed in the spritesheet several frames that were never used!
For example initially they had thought to implement the attack of the blue ninja with the 'circus jump'.
The two frames (blue and green) are there but never used. Also a frame with Joe holding a pistol.
Also a frame with skeleton. Ithink a couple more unused also exist.

With the appropriate hack we could use these sprite slots and add some missing frames:

1. Joe sword attack
2. Joe jumpup frame (legs)
3. Joe with pistol
4. Guandao standing position AND movement --> three frames instead of two frames as it is now.

The hack would be something like, modifying the address of the sprite being used when certain conditions apply.
If player has bullets, then display the upper torso of the frame with pistol, if attack is close display sword frame and not the kick frame etc.

sigh

Quote from: Fmtrx on 09:58, 14 February 20

With the appropriate hack we could use these sprite slots and add some missing frames:
I think it would be better to use those frame for the main character, such as his jump, crouch walk and Ninja Magic?
The Ninja magic has never looked right to me on the CPC.