News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Skill Challenge,any game,any challenge you want to lay down .

Started by Puresox, 18:23, 21 September 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Puresox

A game always plays better if you have some reason to be playing it , Other than trying to complete a game or high score challenge. Just wondered if anyone has any unique challenge that you want to put up , and anyone can take it on. I suppose the idea being that we aren't all Xyphoe,Axelino or Metr level players who can take on a game and see it through to the end.

Challenge can be any game , anything that you consider would be an interesting test .
EG.
Jet Set Willy 2 -The Final Frontier.
*collect 50 Items with a limit of so many rooms
Anything which you can set yourself,that you think is a worthy challenge .

I'm not sure how many Amstrad users actually play the games on here,or whether majority are just interested in programming the machine more than enjoying a blat on the old games.
Anyhow sink or swim If you have any good ideas or you are shit hot at a game and want to test anyone else to see if they can match your challenge.
I will always take it on . At the very least.

TFM

Quote from: Puresox on 18:23, 21 September 16
A game always plays better if you have some reason to be playing it , Other than trying to complete a game or high score challenge. Just wondered if anyone has any unique challenge that you want to put up , and anyone can take it on.

The task: Survive Cyber Chicken Level 8!  ;D
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Puresox

Quote from: TFM on 18:32, 21 September 16

The task: Survive Cyber Chicken Level 8!  ;D
Ok , Nice Plug lol , I will have to see how tough this is now.

Puresox

Wait a minute, Is this game only available as a hard copy? Or are there download versions? I'm screwed if hard copy only lol, My CPC is out of action due to the monitor having an issue.

TFM

Quote from: Puresox on 20:13, 21 September 16
Wait a minute, Is this game only available as a hard copy? Or are there download versions? I'm screwed if hard copy only lol, My CPC is out of action due to the monitor having an issue.

Downloads here:
http://www.cc-cpc.de/site/cpage/4

(I can survive Level 7, because I remember how I created the game field. But in Level 8 the Kamikaze-Chicken appear at random positions... so I never made it).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Dr Tiger Ninestein

Quote from: Puresox on 18:23, 21 September 16

I'm not sure how many Amstrad users actually play the games on here,or whether majority are just interested in programming the machine more than enjoying a blat on the old games

I often wonder this myself. Personally I just play games as I lack any programming skills.

Puresox

^^ The games section is the only part of the Wiki forum I look at, I am a nostalgia freak and delving into the CPC's old games provides that connection . Either watching vids on the old games or hearing opinions keeps the Nostalgia drug going. Also not being a programmer , do not use forum for that consideration . I do like to understand the machine better and how things work. The CPC scene is so much more limited ,rather than Speccy or C64 so the amount of games players is pretty small.
Sadly  It is what it is though.And  if you grew up with a machine , you only really get the nostalgia from that machine. Even if I wanted to get into the Speccy or C64 scene because its a lively place . There is no nostalgia link :P

Puresox

Anyone able to do the Wriggler(Centipede clone Version) Kill 10 centipedes and you get onto the bonus level , which I think is snakelike clone. I think I have only managed to do it once . Seems like an easy feat but it is tough, especially cos of the spider, and the fact that you only have a vertical maneuvering option of two lines.

Puresox

Well Lead balloon for sure.

Anyone a decent player of Dead on Time? Have an honest score to take on? This game is awesome .

andycadley

Well, since you mentioned JSW2, how about making it to the desert island (ie flip the Trip Switch and visit the Yacht)? Bonus points for doing it in three lives, full bragging rights for doing it without dying at all.

Singaja

Survive to next level in @ervin 's RunCPC retro dev 2015 entry  ;D I'm still impressed this game slaps you in the face, but in a good way as I kept thinking "It can't be thaaat hard" and kept trying over and over and over again. But I couldn't make it anyway  :P

ervin

Quote from: Singaja on 12:46, 24 September 16
Survive to next level in @ervin 's RunCPC retro dev 2015 entry  ;D I'm still impressed this game slaps you in the face, but in a good way as I kept thinking "It can't be thaaat hard" and kept trying over and over and over again. But I couldn't make it anyway  :P

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Glad to see that my game has achieved its aims!

Seriously though, I'm really happy that you've enjoyed it.

awergh

Quote from: Puresox on 01:25, 24 September 16
Well Lead balloon for sure.

Anyone a decent player of Dead on Time? Have an honest score to take on? This game is awesome .

I've never been particularly good at Dead on Time but something I've often done is play it on a GT64 where you cant really tell the colours apart.  :laugh:

Puresox

Quote from: andycadley on 06:39, 24 September 16
Well, since you mentioned JSW2, how about making it to the desert island (ie flip the Trip Switch and visit the Yacht)? Bonus points for doing it in three lives, full bragging rights for doing it without dying at all.
Good Lad , that's a challenge and a half . For me anyhow , but I don't think I would have ever considered trying it had it not been suggested. I will give it a shot 

Puresox

Ok Will check this one out , I trying to remember if I have played it.

TFM

Quote from: ervin on 13:46, 24 September 16
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Glad to see that my game has achieved its aims!

Seriously though, I'm really happy that you've enjoyed it.

It's the genuine first of its kind and... on CPC FIRST!!!  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Puresox

Well I have managed to do the JSW2  Boat to the island , but I have yet to do it cleanly , without save states that is . It is a darn tough challenge to do without save states purely for the fact that you cannot lose a single life once you do the trip switch and head to the Yacht. I wouldn't say it is impossible but it takes a lot of concentration and patience. I would say there are probably couple of screens that are really tough on the journey back , The Decapitare springs to mind as a tough one and Rigor Mortis , the rest of the journey is just a case of not being complacent. Will keep giving it a go to try and do it clean , but It will be one of those things I will shoot for every so often, cos you lose patience having to trudge your way through the starting screens each time you mess up . Enjoyed doing it though.   

Puresox

Andy , are you somehow related to JSW2? I was looking amongst some of the websites   discussing the game and it's screen meanings etc.. I may be wrong but notice name similar to yours amongst it . I may be getting stuff mixed up but thought I'd ask.

Puresox

What is the name of the game so I can check this one out ?

andycadley

Quote from: Puresox on 21:45, 25 September 16
Andy , are you somehow related to JSW2? I was looking amongst some of the websites   discussing the game and it's screen meanings etc.. I may be wrong but notice name similar to yours amongst it . I may be getting stuff mixed up but thought I'd ask.

I wrote the (incomplete) 6128+ version, which I'm not quite sure counts as related, although my name likely also appears with a lot of deconstructing how JSW 2 worked on a technical level (between myself and John Elliot, we pretty much took the Speccy version to pieces).

Good going on the challenge though, it's a tricky one, but the satisfaction when you manage it unaided is definitely worth it.

Puresox

Ah right , thanks. Quite an honour to be related somewhat with the game IMO. I think the game is fantastic and I find it probably one of the most nostalgic and enjoyable   games that I bought for the CPC. Right from the Cassette Artwork , to the rendition of Moonlight Sonata, the whole exploring element,discovering new places, chatting to mates at school with different versions . The names of the rooms etc etc.The room designs, that allow every level of player to be challenged. I know that there are many people who can't see whats so great about the game. And If you look at the graphics it is not exactly mind blowing . Just think the whole package makes it a masterpiece.

ervin

Quote from: Puresox on 21:47, 25 September 16

What is the name of the game so I can check this one out ?

You'll find a link to it in my signature at the bottom of this post.
I hope you enjoy it.
:)

AMSDOS

There's an old game out of a Your Computer magazine called Trap 'em, but the game gets seriously fast I think it gets impossible to Trap the nasties.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Puresox

Quote from: ervin on 01:40, 26 September 16

You'll find a link to it in my signature at the bottom of this post.
I hope you enjoy it.
:)
Thanks got it now, I remember playing this a while back  really nice visuals very tough though , It would be improved I reckon with an option for beginner mode which would allow in larger life bar .Cos it is brutally hard . I expect it may be easier with a joystick rather than keys . You designing a  racing game now?

ervin

I'd love to add a gentler learning curve to it, and perhaps a better energy system, but there are only around 100 bytes left.  :o

Regarding other developments, I've just finished a line drawing program in cpctelera.
I'm not going to work on a racing game for the CPC... well, not at this stage anyway!

Instead, I'm learning GameMaker, to perhaps write something more modern.