News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Skweek ! Recalled due to swearing ?

Started by misguided_fool, 20:49, 28 December 21

Previous topic - Next topic

misguided_fool

Hi guys. Just signed up. Forgive me if this is in the wrong section.
Used to own a CPC464, C64 and Spectrum back in the day, but chose to be a C64 collector later in life (love the Amstrad though). I do now and again get Amstrad games in large bundles I buy, and today I found an unsual game that I didnt recognise, so I asked about on some groups to get more info about it as rare Amstrad stuff is not my forte.

The game is Skweek and from what I can gather from a few articles and a video on youtube, the game was pulled for having swearing in it. Its a cassette version by US Gold / Loriciels that I have here. I have seen a disk version for sale online.

So I am looking for some more info if possible. Does anyone own it ? How many copies got out ? Is it super rare ? What kind of value does it have ?

Any info would be cool. It just stood out to me so I thought Id try and find out more about it. I love to know about games that have cool / controversial back stories. I will stick up for sale at some point. Can supply pics if needed.

Cheers guys !

lmimmfn

6128 for the win!!!

ldaneels

I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I think you have the wrong idea about it.The game is at best uncommon, whichever version you consider. As for value, it is whatever someone would pay for it, but it is certainly not worth much.
As far as I'm aware, there never was any controversy regarding this game. At least in France (the game was made by Loriciels).Recalling this game due to swearing would be like recalling QBert or Bubble Bobble due to swearing: nonsensical at best.

pelrun

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/swearing-in-%27skweek%27/
Looks like US Gold incorrectly put a development version on the tapes instead of the delivered final version that had been cleaned up.

Gryzor

Quote from: pelrun on 08:13, 29 December 21
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/swearing-in-%27skweek%27/
Was going to say, I vaguely remember something of the sort. It most probably was that thread though...

zeropolis79

It was brought up in Amstrad Action issue 47 or 48 (I can't remember which one and I don't have my collection at hand).

eto

"Due to a mistake on the part of U.S. Gold, a development version made its way to the UK market. In this particular version, the developers had inserted some profane dialogue as a joke, such as making the Skweek say "fuck your mother" at the end of a level. The version the developers intended for release had the offending text removed, resulting in an unpleasant surprise for all parties when the mistake was discovered."

There is no information though which version was affected.

misguided_fool

Apologies guys. I did search for 'Skweek' before posting, but that old thread did not come up ?? Maybe I put the wrong spelling in. Sorry for that !

So, this is very interesting. The programmer himself says that the US Gold version was pulled due to swear words in the code. The youtube video also shows the extract from the Amstrad magazine with the info about it being pulled from the shelves.

The game cover just stood out to me as something I had never seen before in any collections, so I decided to investigate. I never thought it would be a game that had some sort of controversy. Its a shame that I don't have an Amstrad to boot it up and test it.

misguided_fool

misguided_fool

Just put this up on Ebay if anyone is interested.

Started at 99p

International bidders welcome

Cheers

eto

Quote from: misguided_fool on 13:39, 29 December 21Apologies guys. I did search for 'Skweek' before posting, but that old thread did not come up ?? Maybe I put the wrong spelling in. Sorry for that !

You didn't do anything wrong, the forum search is broken and mostly useless. Use Google with "site:cpcwiki.eu" command.

eto

Quote from: misguided_fool on 21:37, 14 January 22International bidders welcome

You have to add "international shipping" to the listing otherwise it will not show up on e.g. Ebay.de or Ebay.fr