News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Spy From The North

Started by AMSDOS, 11:13, 24 November 14

Previous topic - Next topic

AMSDOS

As mentioned in another thread, I've located and uploaded "Spy From the North" as published in the February 1985 issue of Personal Computing Today.

I'm not sure if the 1st page has uploaded properly though, but the complete listing is available if someone wants to type it in, the attached document is 8Mb.

Will make necessarily corrections in the Type-ins section. Program was written by Steve Lucas in November 1984, though published February 1985.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

tastefulmrship

Quote from: AMSDOS on 11:13, 24 November 14
I'm not sure if the 1st page has uploaded properly though, but the complete listing is available if someone wants to type it in, the attached document is 8Mb.
I've not done this in a while, but here goes! ^_^
[Processing ........]

Nich

Quote from: Jonah (Tasteful Mr) Ship on 13:35, 24 November 14
I've not done this in a while, but here goes! ^_^
[Processing ........]
Beat you to it! :P I'm off work for most of this week so I thought I'd have a go at typing it in as well. The DSK file is attached.

Inevitably, there is at least one bug; part of the location exit data at the end of line 1600 is missing. This can be fixed by adding a new line:

1605 DATA 0

I haven't playtested the game fully so it's possible that there may be other bugs.

@AMSDOS - I couldn't view the first page of the PDF you uploaded. Adobe Reader produces the message "Insufficient data for an image." on my version. Thanks for uploading it, anyway! :)

AMSDOS

Quote from: Nich on 15:27, 24 November 14

@AMSDOS - I couldn't view the first page of the PDF you uploaded. Adobe Reader produces the message "Insufficient data for an image." on my version. Thanks for uploading it, anyway! :)

Hmm I was worried about that, because the file I have on my computer is certainly error free. Trouble is I'm not sure if I can update it, I suspect it's this problem I've been having Upload & Downloading from my Safari web browser. :(

Curious to know if you typed this program in after posting this thread? Just seems as if you had the program on Disc.

EDIT: I've uploaded a updated copy of the program with the Intact 1st page.

Your Computer Programs

Nich

Quote from: AMSDOS on 08:37, 25 November 14
Curious to know if you typed this program in after posting this thread? Just seems as if you had the program on Disc.
I did type the program in when I saw your post.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Nich on 15:27, 24 November 14
Inevitably, there is at least one bug; part of the location exit data at the end of line 1600 is missing. This can be fixed by adding a new line:

1605 DATA 0

I haven't playtested the game fully so it's possible that there may be other bugs.

Adding that extra line does make the game RUN, but also makes it impossible to complete!

I have tried to map the whole adventure and have assumed that line 1600 and 1605 should actually read;

1600 DATA by a locked gate. A sign here reads     'Trespassers will be Prosecuted',0,0,0,21,by the main entrance to a large chemicalplant,0,25,21,0,near to the perimeter fence of the      chemical plant. There is a small hut    here but it is locked,21,26
1605 DATA 0,0

... so that when you get to the "barbed wire", you can continue SOUTH to the "pathway by the barbed wire" and can continue the adventure. However, this is just an assumption and it might be a good idea to look through later issues to see if there were any error corrections posted.

Gryzor

Since you already typed it in, since it was a huge file, since there is a Type-Ins section on the wiki, since it's not a Magazine etc etc, I deleted the upload :)

Nich

Quote from: Jonah (Tasteful Mr) Ship on 15:35, 26 November 14
Adding that extra line does make the game RUN, but also makes it impossible to complete!
No, it doesn't! Spoiler below:

Spoiler: ShowHide
There is an object that can be used to cut the fence.

QuoteHowever, this is just an assumption and it might be a good idea to look through later issues to see if there were any error corrections posted.
@AMSDOS - do you have any later issues of Personal Computing Today to confirm if there are any other bugs?

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Nich on 22:12, 26 November 14
No, it doesn't! Spoiler below:
Fair enough; I made a mistake!

Johnny Olsen

I have another version of the game and I have compared the listings. The only difference is in line

1600, 1610

1720 the word "aboves" should be "above"

1910 the word "entance" should be "entrance" - bug in magazine

1600 DATA by a locked gate. A sign here reads     'Trespassers will be Prosecuted',0,0,0,21,by the main entrance to a large chemicalplant,0,25,21,0,near to the perimeter fence of the      chemical plant. There is a small hut    here but it is locked
1610 DATA 21,0,0,0,standing next to a barbed wire fence,23,0,0,0,by the main entrance to an office block.The steel door is firmly locked,24,28,27,0,standing on a footpath at the side of a barbed wire fence,0,0,29,26

Line 1600 reached the maximum size of a line for Amstrad basic

So fast and only one typos Nich - impressive !!

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:46, 26 November 14
Since you already typed it in, since it was a huge file, since there is a Type-Ins section on the wiki, since it's not a Magazine etc etc, I deleted the upload :)

I'd appreciate if you forward a copy of the file to @Kukulcan at CPC-Power.

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

Quote from: Nich on 22:12, 26 November 14
@AMSDOS - do you have any later issues of Personal Computing Today to confirm if there are any other bugs?

Unfortunately I only track down this program using the Internet Archive and they only seem to have the February 1985 issue of Personal Computing Today and I only found some other earlier issues in the World of Spectrum Magazine archives.  :(

So it might be better to pursue the @Johnny Olsen patch.

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

Quote from: AMSDOS on 07:50, 27 November 14

I'd appreciate if you forward a copy of the file to @Kukulcan at CPC-Power.

Unfortunately, as I said, I deleted it... You don't have it?

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:44, 28 December 14

Unfortunately, as I said, I deleted it... You don't have it?

I do have it, but it wasn't easy preparing it from a file over 100Mb, edit it down to a 8Mb, upload that and then deleted shortly afterwards.  :o

I'll send a copy to @Kukulcan once I have more Internet to mess around with.

Your Computer Programs

Nich

I'll send a copy to @Kukulcan once I have more Internet to mess around with.
I've already sent the PDF to Kukulcan. :)

AMSDOS

Your Computer Programs