News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Street Fighter II - CPC Edition

Started by AugustoRuiz, 13:24, 24 September 13

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon

wtf, I open the box thunder :D.

Anyway ¿whats mean emulated?. Asic+ emulated the cpc because.. all circuitry is  in one chip?...So crtc 4 cost down is emulating the original cpc?. And in the original cpc  with  the gate array 40010 is emulating the gate array 40008 and  the 40008 are emulating the 40007 and 40007 is emulating the cpc board protoype?.

crtc type 0 is the original and the others are emulating the original?. Who are the true cpc?.

???

Joseman

Crtc 4 cost down, for me is the same thing that with the cpc+.

The CRTC 0 in my opinion is the original chip, and my cpc daily used has a CRTC 0.

the GA 40010 is a better implementation with the same technology, this isn't emulate, it is improve things with the same technology.

The asic is some kind of PLD implementation, emulating some chips of the CPC.

in the cpcwiki says it clear:

CPC+ ASIC emulates the following chips :

• CRTC 6845
  • Gate Array
  • PAL (128K RAM paging)
  • 8255 PPI
  • Printer Port Data and Strobe
  • Floppy Motor enable flip-flop, Floppy Address decoding (FDC chip Select)
In my opinion the cpc+ is some kind of hardware emulation of the cpc classic.

robcfg

It's not actually emulating anything, it's greater integration to reduce chip count. The gate array, same as the Spectrum's ULA chip, is an integration of a lot of components.

chinnyhill10

There's an awful lot of noise here for a thread that is supposed to be about Street Fighter 2. >:(
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Joseman

Perhaps some OP can split this topic to something like "Was the CPC+ emulating a CPC classic?"  :laugh:

gerald

Adding noise to the noise :
[ot]
Quote from: Joseman on 21:43, 03 May 15
CPC+ ASIC emulates the following chips :

• CRTC 6845
  • Gate Array
  • PAL (128K RAM paging)
  • 8255 PPI
  • Printer Port Data and Strobe
  • Floppy Motor enable flip-flop, Floppy Address decoding (FDC chip Select)
How can you consider that the ASIC is emulating HW that the company have already designed. This just show either your HW limited knowledge or bad faith.

Do you know what is the difference between a gate array and an asic ?
Do you know what is the difference between a PAL and an asic ?
Do you really mean that an 'emulated' Logic/DFF in an ASIC is behaving differently compared to a discrete Logic/DFF ?

In simple word, the answer is integration : cost/spaca saving.

Now, regarding PPI and CRTC, while amstrad did not design them, there is a good chance they licensed their IP. No emulation either !

[/ot]

Joseman

Quote from: gerald on 08:19, 04 May 15
Adding noise to the noise :
[ot]How can you consider that the ASIC is emulating HW that the company have already designed. This just show either your HW limited knowledge or bad faith.

Do you really mean that an 'emulated' Logic/DFF in an ASIC is behaving differently compared to a discrete Logic/DFF ?

[/ot]

I'm not saying this (i don't have an oscilloscope at the moment  :laugh: ), the community is saying this:

"The functionality of the 8255, Gate-Array and 6845 is not identical to the CPC. As a result programs written which rely on special features of these chips may not work correct. "

"The CPC+ appears to be slightly different in respect to the timing. It appears all colour changes are 1/2 NOP later than they would be on a CPC. When programming some CRTC changes some timings appear to be 2 us later!"
source:http://www.cpctech.org.uk/docs/cpcpdiff.html

arnoldemu

@gerald:

I believe Amstrad implemented their own 8255 PPI. They cut it down too.

The ASIC version is missing the following:
- PPI port B input/output state is fixed to input; it can't be controlled like on a real 8255
- PPI port C input/output state is fixed to output; it can't be controlled like on a real 8255
- PPI mode 1 and mode 2 are not implemented.
- On a real 8255, changing the port direction or mode causes all outputs to be reset to 0. This is not the case on the ASIC PPI and this is the source of the keyboard bugs.

Concerning the CRTC:

- It's difficult to tell if it's a licensed design that is then modified. There are certainly differences when compared to UM6845, MC6845, UM6845R and HD6845R.

Amstrad have their own status registers which expose the internal state of the CRTC; so it seems like it's their own implementation.

I believe it has all functions, including CURSOR but I can't say exactly because I didn't test this.
ToTO should know if the PlayCity works with Plus and type 4. :)

As far as I can tell Type 3 and type 4, in terms of crtc operation are the same. It is not clear if type 4 is a stripped down type 3, or type 3 is an enhanced type 4.

The Gate-Array implementation is identical as far as I can tell except for the extension for the access to the ASIC features. In the original Gate-Array bit 5 was undefined, but in the ASIC Gate-Array bit 5 is used here.

Also the timing is a bit different. The screen appears shifted to the right (or left - can't remember) compared to a CPC6128, the timing of the colour changes is therefore different compared to a 6128. The timing for the instructions is identical. I'm not sure if the Plus is buffering the data in a different way and so some colour changes are delayed/altered.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

dragon

I don't understand why in the interviews of amstrad people the people never asking these stuff.Amstrad/plus gate array design details decisions are by far totally obscure 25 years or more later they are developed.

Axelay

Sorry about the even more noise but... I've read this and I'm thinking... that guy from Navy Moves is arguing with himself!

robcfg

XDDDDDDDDD

That was a good one! :D

dragon

O.k so this is the street fighter amstrad plus needs:

Yo can choose a  amstrad cpc 464 664 6128 and plus with arm and  legs and with the head of your conuntry flag .An especial tournamet to chosse the best computer, only one remain. Thorw especial attacks with tape,disc or cartridge based on each computer specifcations.

Destroy the scenary, and you can get especial items as crtcs gate arrays z80 and ppi (different versions),acople it your cpc fighter and gain new fantastic movements in combat!!.

And don't forget visit  the shop after a combat, you can buy new tapes disk or cartridges with more new attacks. And  extras expansion powers attacks connected at you back port.

cpc classic user pcan lay the game  to destroy the evil 6128 plus!!!. cpc futuristic users can play the game so you can destroy the evil amstrad cpc 464!!!.

And extra,you hate uk games? you hate spanish games?. Put the flag in the head of your enemy and enjoy!!.

And of course our game have hide fighter such   gx4000 spectrum +3 and amstrad pcw,472, amstrad vcr,h-fi  and other secrets. Only the best players can get it!!!.

Amstrad fighter. The best street street fighter of the world. ony for amstrad plus and cpcwiki users.

:blank:

Ast

and what about Street Fighter II - Cpc Edition ?

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

Joseman

Technically what Dragon says is Street Fighter II - CPC Edition  :laugh:

dragon

ahh if amstrad plus can do that in 1990

Testing the WIP of the MSX2 port of Super Mario World on openMSX running a

Quote from: Joseman on 19:10, 04 May 15
Technically what Dragon says is Street Fighter II - CPC Edition  :laugh:

Ok.Ok, the next step in the marketing of the game  is made a Street Fighter II - CPC Edition monopoly editión. if street fighter can we can.

Neil79

The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

beaker

Shame they want to keep it at 128k and not push on and use half a Meg given how many people have xmem and symbifaces.

Ast

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

gerald

Quote from: beaker on 22:11, 19 June 15
Shame they want to keep it at 128k and not push on and use half a Meg given how many people have xmem and symbifaces.
Still better than a 64k tape only version, no ?

CraigsBar

Quote from: gerald on 18:12, 20 June 15
Still better than a 64k tape only version, no ?
Am I the only one hoping for a genuine gx4000 cart version?
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Joseman

I think that is crazy to ask from a 512k's version, cartridge version, plus version, when there isn't any version 100% finished (perhaps even 50% finished).

Games like SF2, with this amount of sprites, graphics, IA's... i can't even imagine how time must be wasted to achieve something relatively close...

I really think that people should learn asm, and try it by himself how difficult is to make a game...

CraigsBar

Quote from: Joseman on 21:14, 20 June 15
I think that is crazy to ask from a 512k's version, cartridge version, plus version, when there isn't any version 100% finished (perhaps even 50% finished).

Games like SF2, with this amount of sprites, graphics, IA's... i can't even imagine how time must be wasted to achieve something relatively close...

I really think that people should learn asm, and try it by himself how difficult is to make a game...

I know damn well I could never do it. Which is why I buy these games whenever possible.... Looking along my shelf here I have A Disk of Space Chicken, Tapes of everything ever released for the CPC by Psytronic - All of which I bought on tape before I had a machine capable of loading them. An Official cart version of Street Fighter II, any of @Carnivac 's games of they ever get ported back to the CPC on any format etc... Hell if R-Type 128 or Rick Dangerous 128Plus were to get a GX4000 cart re-working I'd gladly pay for those too.

I'd also pay for a CPR file in a nice box. Not because I need to, or I'd even play the games every day, But because *THAT* is what is right, to compensate these wonderful people who spend hours developing games for a machine that will never be a commercial venture for them.

It's all to say Thank You.

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

AugustoRuiz

So... Here's an update, as asked by Joseman. But I'm not sure if you will like it... :P

Well... I'm porting right now my code to asz80, and reimplementing some of my tools in C (instead of C#), and making them commandline friendly, so that they can easily be included in makefiles. I already reimplemented img2cpc, and I'm reimplementing dskgen (I am using the FDC to read sectors directly, and needed a tool that allowed me to write files in a DSK in that way, also generating a very simple catalog. Files are stored always in consecutive sectors, so CPM catalog is a bit too much for me).

I'm porting SF2 to use CPCTelera, basically, and extending CPCTelera to fit my needs (adding support for 128Kb, banking, and the like). That might seem a lot of work, but the progress is steady and this has motivated me to keep working on SF2. I was stuck and disappointed at how bad I got programming in assembly whenever I had to walk away of the project for some time and got back to it. Being able to implement non-time-critical things in C will help me speeding up the development, and also save me from frustration...

So no big advances for now, but I hope that the development speed will increase once I'm done porting the code. 70% of the assembly has already been ported/adopted from cpctelera, and I got my interrupts, splitscreen, double buffering and erase list management already working ;)

reidrac

Quote from: AugustoRuiz on 10:02, 10 September 15
So... Here's an update, as asked by Joseman. But I'm not sure if you will like it... :P

Well... I'm porting right now my code to asz80, and reimplementing some of my tools in C (instead of C#), and making them commandline friendly, so that they can easily be included in makefiles. I already reimplemented img2cpc, and I'm reimplementing dskgen (I am using the FDC to read sectors directly, and needed a tool that allowed me to write files in a DSK in that way, also generating a very simple catalog. Files are stored always in consecutive sectors, so CPM catalog is a bit too much for me).

I have the feeling we work in a very similar way, although I do all my tooling in python (avoiding to reinvent the wheel when possible!). I got to the point where I run "make" and it converts files (png -> scr, etc) and compiles everything and generates a CDT and a DSK ready to test.

Take a look to this if you haven't already, it helped me a lot to get things right:

- cpcitor/cpc-dev-tool-chain · GitHub
- cpcsdk/cpctools · GitHub

(and obviously the CPCtelera!)

Quote from: AugustoRuiz on 10:02, 10 September 15I'm porting SF2 to use CPCTelera, basically, and extending CPCTelera to fit my needs (adding support for 128Kb, banking, and the like). That might seem a lot of work, but the progress is steady and this has motivated me to keep working on SF2. I was stuck and disappointed at how bad I got programming in assembly whenever I had to walk away of the project for some time and got back to it. Being able to implement non-time-critical things in C will help me speeding up the development, and also save me from frustration...

IMHO that's the way to go. Getting things going with C is OK, you can always go back and rewrite parts in assembler when you need to and getting results early really helps motivation!

Quote from: AugustoRuiz on 10:02, 10 September 15So no big advances for now, but I hope that the development speed will increase once I'm done porting the code. 70% of the assembly has already been ported/adopted from cpctelera, and I got my interrupts, splitscreen, double buffering and erase list management already working ;)

Don't give up and keep sharing your progress! we really appreciate  your updates :)
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

AugustoRuiz

Guess now it makes sense when I asked for emulators to support loading external debug symbols... :D