News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Street Fighter II - CPC Edition

Started by AugustoRuiz, 13:24, 24 September 13

Previous topic - Next topic

reidrac

Quote from: AugustoRuiz on 11:39, 10 September 15
Guess now it makes sense when I asked for emulators to support loading external debug symbols... :D

:D

My problem using Linux as development platform is that the existing emulators are far from perfect :( I'm using a mixture of WinAPE with WINE (not ideal, emulation of the emulator isn't perfect!) and JavaCPC (again, not ideal but for different reasons).

I just want something that can start quickly (or a way of automating the "reset -> load disk -> run my program" cycle). I can live without a proper debugger ;)
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

ronaldo

[quote
Quote from: reidrac on 11:56, 10 September 15
I just want something that can start quickly (or a way of automating the "reset -> load disk -> run my program" cycle). I can live without a proper debugger ;)
]
Right now, we have a decent automation to the reset -> load disk -> run  cycle with CPCtelera. I personally tend to use 2 command line aliases:

alias cl="make cleanall"
alias do="make && cpct_winape *.dsk"

With this, writing the command "do" on the command line automatically builds the latest changes to the project, runs the emulator and autoloads the main file.Then you only have to close the emulator and write again "do" for the next cycle. If I want to recompile everything from scratch, the command "cl && do" does it.

This is not ideal, but it's a nice first step into the development cycle. I personally think it would be ideal to have an embeded emulator where a binary could be automatically inserted into memory (binary or snapshot) and then run from a point. If even could be marvellous to be able to save emulator macros (predefined sequences of user interactions) to automatically run test cases. However, that needs to be constructed step by step. I'd love to continue developing with these things in mind, to improve the quality and integration of available tools.

Of course, I agree with you about debugging. Improving the debugging cycle (automatically load symbols, source code debugging, etc) is extremelly important to improve the quality of software developed for our CPCs, as it will drastically reduce the time required for debugging (and the associated frustration!).

reidrac

Quote from: ronaldo on 13:42, 10 September 15
Right now, we have a decent automation to the reset -> load disk -> run  cycle with CPCtelera.

Yes, that is equivalent to what I use (but without your script-magic to get things setup; I did it myself by hand).

It is a shame that in Linux the best option right now is emulating WinAPE with WINE, but there you are :(

I'm sorry I hijacked @AugustoRuiz post with my Linux rant!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

TFM

So... any news about the game?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Ast

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

mahlemiut

Quote from: reidrac on 13:58, 10 September 15It is a shame that in Linux the best option right now is emulating WinAPE with WINE, but there you are :(
How about MAME?

Also, WINE stands for "WINE is not an emulator".  They'll kill you for calling it an emulator. ;)
- Barry Rodewald

reidrac

Quote from: mahlemiut on 00:38, 11 September 15
How about MAME?

Also, WINE stands for "WINE is not an emulator".  They'll kill you for calling it an emulator. ;)

Haven't tried MAME yet, looked complicated and I skipped it for some reason.

Yep, WINE is not an emulator. Apologies to any WINE developer reading this space :)

(still doesn't work perfect though)

CraigsBar

I just installed the latest mame on my MacPro. CPC emulation is pretty damn fine ;) better than any other osx emulator at the moment.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

AugustoRuiz

Quote from: TFM on 18:48, 10 September 15
So... any news about the game?

I wrote a status update...

AugustoRuiz

New updates...

I have implemented the input state machine, which detects special moves, and has been fine-tuned :)

I have also implemented the player state machine, connected to the input state machine. The original assembler version had a nasty piece of spaghetti code. Now every state has a pair of functions in a table (enter/update), but each player can redefine its function table (that is part of the file that loads the player resources/behavior!).

Also I have the timer working, and half of the score is being drawn (missing the energy bars and the fighter face right now). Older version did draw just a bitmap!

I'm working now on the attack representation/parameterization.

Cheers!

dlfrsilver

Quote from: AugustoRuiz on 21:18, 29 September 16
New updates...

I have implemented the input state machine, which detects special moves, and has been fine-tuned :)

I have also implemented the player state machine, connected to the input state machine. The original assembler version had a nasty piece of spaghetti code. Now every state has a pair of functions in a table (enter/update), but each player can redefine its function table (that is part of the file that loads the player resources/behavior!).

Also I have the timer working, and half of the score is being drawn (missing the energy bars and the fighter face right now). Older version did draw just a bitmap!

I'm working now on the attack representation/parameterization.

Cheers!

Hi Augusto, can you make a little video ? So that we can have a representation of how things are ?

AugustoRuiz

Well, right now it's uglier than the ones I'be uploaded. I need to do a little more work in order to see a real advance (from an aesthetic point of view). The code is much cleaner, better organized, and migrated to cpctelera, but a video won't make it justice. So, in short, no. I am not making a video yet.

HAL6128

It's good to hear that things are progressing. Keep on going!
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

sigh

Quote from: AugustoRuiz on 06:36, 30 September 16
Well, right now it's uglier than the ones I'be uploaded. I need to do a little more work in order to see a real advance (from an aesthetic point of view). The code is much cleaner, better organized, and migrated to cpctelera, but a video won't make it justice. So, in short, no. I am not making a video yet.

What about the game speed and scrolling? Are you sticking with the scrolling background or are you going for a statci background?
Also - will you have the breakable objects like they had in the original?

dragon

As the game is development and It probably can be a must have.

Have you thinking of maybe add a little more feature don't have other ports?.

Maybe is posible add online-playing with two players :).?

ukmarkh

If they can pull this off, the CPC will become the most famous 8bit ever!!!

Puresox

Quote from: ukmarkh on 19:06, 07 October 16
If they can pull this off, the CPC will become the most famous 8bit ever!!!
This is what we need , a few kick arse games that show what the machine is about . Stuff like R-type  and Orion Prime, Subhunter and others make people reassess

ldaneels

Well, if they didn't get the message with games like Chase HQ, Gryzor, Rainbow Islands, Zap 'T Balls, Skweek & co, don't think for a second that will change their minds. Some people just don't want to admit that other machines have interesting games & they will always pull out the examples of games that were better on their system to prove the Amstrad was crap. They will forever be stuck in the 80s fighting for their machine of choice. You just can't fight that, that's a fact.
Personally, I think that every machine has its worth (even the least loved ones) and games that are worth playing, on top of the systems exclusives.
On the plus side, a lot of people are open-minded & come to retro gaming late (mostly younger generations that were not born in the 80s) with a neutral stance on machines, so all is not lost :)
Let's just celebrate the coders that give us all these gems & enjoy what we have. If other people want to join, all the better.

Puresox

Quote from: ldaneels on 19:39, 07 October 16
Well, if they didn't get the message with games like Chase HQ, Gryzor, Rainbow Islands, Zap 'T Balls, Skweek & co, don't think for a second that will change their minds. Some people just don't want to admit that other machines have interesting games & they will always pull out the examples of games that were better on their system to prove the Amstrad was crap. They will forever be stuck in the 80s fighting for their machine of choice. You just can't fight that, that's a fact.
Personally, I think that every machine has its worth (even the least loved ones) and games that are worth playing, on top of the systems exclusives.
On the plus side, a lot of people are open-minded & come to retro gaming late (mostly younger generations that were not born in the 80s) with a neutral stance on machines, so all is not lost :)
Let's just celebrate the coders that give us all these gems & enjoy what we have. If other people want to join, all the better.
I take what your saying , and I think that it's always going to be an uphill struggle , just feel that with  GX4000 becoming a sort after console because of it's rarity, this is going to be where most Retro fans get there fix of CPC stuff .   There are some astounding games on the CPC , but the other machines generally have competitive versions and games numbers on there side .People will get a machine if they can't experience a game except on the original system. Stuff like the Batman Forever demo blew people away , because it was on another level . Even if there are only about half a dozen games that are mind blowingly awesome , I am sure that it would blow away the stigma that cpc is up against.

ldaneels

Well, the truth is we don't need to convince anyone, they can make up their own mind & we can still enjoy what we like. If they feel like checking the CPC , great, if not, that's their choice. It is not good or bad.
I personally think each system stands on the strengths of its exclusive games, that's why the CPC was so big in France & Spain (I am French, btw). In France Ere Informatique, Loriciels, Ubi Soft & co did wonders to sell the brand. Same with Opera Soft, Dinamic, Topo soft & co in Spain. While a lot of games where multi-platform, we got some nice CPC exclusives from them, the same way ZX, C64 et al got some nice exclusives. In the UK, there were no such big devoted brands. I know there were some, but you can't argue they did not have the same impact in the UK as the ones named above - maybe except Amsoft, but most gems were from other companies. In particular developpers in the UK ported most of their games to all formats (or most popular ones). the big names there were Ocean, Imagine, Ultimate, Martech, The Edge... and they all went multi-format, almost to a fault...
Concerning the GX4000, people set themselves up for disappointment, as it is incredibly limited. Maybe you mean the CPC+ ? At any rate, console gamers are probably not going to be swayed by computers & vice and versa. Personally I like all games regardless of support, but a lot of people were raised on consoles & can't even fathom why anyone would want to waste their time with computers (such a shame)... Curious people will discover the CPC, no matter the means, but the GX4000 is certainly not an entry point.
As for the volume of games, there are plenty on the CPC (over ~3500 more or less commercial titles), so I don't think numbers matter. It is just a matter of preference and what the general consensus is. People are more likely to discover the ZX or C64 because they have such a huge following, plain & simple. But that's great, every computer should be discovered & appreciated for what it brought.
Once again, demos like Batman Forever, games like Orion Prime only blew CPC users away (and some curious people, but they are not that common, I fear). If they really want to be blown away, they will just play the latest & greatest on their consoles & computers. I don't think new generations care much for the limitations of older systems. They are curious, sure, but that's about it.
At any rate, there is no agenda or duty to capture the imagination of others. They have the right to like what they want & if they prefer other computers, great. There is no need to convince others the CPC is great, but we certainly can show them there are things of interest on the machine. But I don't see the point of crusading for the CPC. If there is a stigma, it is in our own mind and the vocal dissenters should be of no concern to us, I think most of us are adults now...

Puresox

Quote from: ldaneels on 22:37, 07 October 16
Well, the truth is we don't need to convince anyone, they can make up their own mind & we can still enjoy what we like. If they feel like checking the CPC , great, if not, that's their choice. It is not good or bad.
I personally think each system stands on the strengths of its exclusive games, that's why the CPC was so big in France & Spain (I am French, btw). In France Ere Informatique, Loriciels, Ubi Soft & co did wonders to sell the brand. Same with Opera Soft, Dinamic, Topo soft & co in Spain. While a lot of games where multi-platform, we got some nice CPC exclusives from them, the same way ZX, C64 et al got some nice exclusives. In the UK, there were no such big devoted brands. I know there were some, but you can't argue they did not have the same impact in the UK as the ones named above - maybe except Amsoft, but most gems were from other companies. In particular developpers in the UK ported most of their games to all formats (or most popular ones). the big names there were Ocean, Imagine, Ultimate, Martech, The Edge... and they all went multi-format, almost to a fault...
Concerning the GX4000, people set themselves up for disappointment, as it is incredibly limited. Maybe you mean the CPC+ ? At any rate, console gamers are probably not going to be swayed by computers & vice and versa. Personally I like all games regardless of support, but a lot of people were raised on consoles & can't even fathom why anyone would want to waste their time with computers (such a shame)... Curious people will discover the CPC, no matter the means, but the GX4000 is certainly not an entry point.
As for the volume of games, there are plenty on the CPC (over ~3500 more or less commercial titles), so I don't think numbers matter. It is just a matter of preference and what the general consensus is. People are more likely to discover the ZX or C64 because they have such a huge following, plain & simple. But that's great, every computer should be discovered & appreciated for what it brought.
Once again, demos like Batman Forever, games like Orion Prime only blew CPC users away (and some curious people, but they are not that common, I fear). If they really want to be blown away, they will just play the latest & greatest on their consoles & computers. I don't think new generations care much for the limitations of older systems. They are curious, sure, but that's about it.
At any rate, there is no agenda or duty to capture the imagination of others. They have the right to like what they want & if they prefer other computers, great. There is no need to convince others the CPC is great, but we certainly can show them there are things of interest on the machine. But I don't see the point of crusading for the CPC. If there is a stigma, it is in our own mind and the vocal dissenters should be of no concern to us, I think most of us are adults now...
No it isn't an issue at the end of the day. But in the community in You tube (I don't know if you follow channels at all?)  And in Magazines(Retroetc...)  and just the 8-Bit Retro community as a whole , you always get a sniffy attitude toward the machine . Always and it is the same old Schoolyard thing.
Now you say it doesn't matter and we're all adults yes this is true and an old computer doesn't mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things , The everyday person has no interest and couldn't care less . It holds no significant value . If however,you are a keen follower of the retro scene and enjoy the old discussions and just enjoy it as a pastime to get away from the modern world etc . It is then relevant and comments that sneer at the machine and snub it as the fanboys do . People like myself , and Joseman (for instance) have a passion for the machine  and are interested in its reputation being regarded more fairly. 
The interest in an old machine is pure folly , but it is an interest that is not as stressful as running a business lol and serves as a great distraction.

ukmarkh

It's like being a Liverpool fan, no matter how good they play, Everton fans, although fans of footy, couldn't give a flying toss! In fact, it alienates them even more.

ldaneels

Yeah, I think the analogy is quite appropriate.
Let's just leave it at that & get back to the topic at hand.

||C|-|E||

Quote from: Puresox on 00:44, 08 October 16
No it isn't an issue at the end of the day. But in the community in You tube (I don't know if you follow channels at all?)  And in Magazines(Retroetc...)  and just the 8-Bit Retro community as a whole , you always get a sniffy attitude toward the machine . Always and it is the same old Schoolyard thing.
Now you say it doesn't matter and we're all adults yes this is true and an old computer doesn't mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things , The everyday person has no interest and couldn't care less . It holds no significant value . If however,you are a keen follower of the retro scene and enjoy the old discussions and just enjoy it as a pastime to get away from the modern world etc . It is then relevant and comments that sneer at the machine and snub it as the fanboys do . People like myself , and Joseman (for instance) have a passion for the machine  and are interested in its reputation being regarded more fairly. 
The interest in an old machine is pure folly , but it is an interest that is not as stressful as running a business lol and serves as a great distraction.

What is really fascinating is that, after so many years, people are still having arguments when they could just enjoy all of them  :) Actually, many of us do, and that is great. I mean, the Amstrad will be always special to me. I grew with it, it was my only computer for the longest time and it gave me (and still does) lots of joy and truly magic moments. No other computer will be able to replace that, even if it is a million times better, and therefore, if I program something it will be, no doubt, for the Amstrad range. I understand that many users will have the same feeling for their machines of choice (choice that, in many cases, was almost "imposed") but it is crazy to think that in 2016 somebody still enjoys bullshitting about the old hardware, particularly because it does not benefit anyone. Oh well...

Joseman

Back on topic...

Augusto uploaded this pic on his tweeter account:

I hope he doesn't mind that i put the pic on the forum...