News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Street Fighter II - CPC Edition

Started by AugustoRuiz, 13:24, 24 September 13

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Quote from: villain on 20:26, 29 November 16
Yep, that's what I understood.  ;) But in whole Germany you will not find more than 12 GX4000-pads, at least seven oft them not working anymore. Personally I own none of them and can't imagine playing a game like SF2 on the keyboard. So it would be cool to have some actual, buyable pads.
Get a SMS pad or stick and build an adaptor to put the fire buttons on the right pins.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Zoe Robinson

Oh my goodness, this has to be one of the best things I've seen this month, if not longer. It's beautiful. I need this almost as much as that Pinball Dreams game.  :o :o :o :o :o :o

kawickboy

Is there any way to use 3b megadrive pad with an adaptor or the Toto's mx4 board ? Shoryuken with gx4000 pad should be a difficult task.

TotO

Quote from: kawickboy on 08:54, 30 November 16
Is there any way to use 3b megadrive pad with an adaptor or the Toto's mx4 board ? Shoryuken with gx4000 pad should be a difficult task.
Supporting a Megadrive controller require an interface that provide +5V power and demultiplexing lines.
The MultiPlay should but don't, because I have made the choice of the Amiga joystick and mouse compatibility instead. (can't do both)
(in mind that I can redo custom PCB to fit into existing controllers (MD/SNES) to allow to support more fire buttons)

By the way, just think the gameplay like the Gameboy/NeoGeo Pocket fighting games, and 2 fire buttons are already fun to play!  ;)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

kawickboy

2b is enough, but gx4000 pad is horrible to use. robocop 2 is less difficult with the good controller. On 16 bits turrican, fire&ice use the 2nd joystick button but on many controllers this 2nd button isn't easy to access (ie. competition pro later releases).
many konami games on msx use 2b, but the 2nd button is not on the joystick the "M" letter. so many users use homemade 2b pad built from nes controller.

TotO

The GX4000 controller is not so bad, looking the market. (worst is the SMS D-Pad)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

keith56

A NeoGeo console stick, or Neogeo CD pad could be used as well if you are willing to make a converter, they use a 15 pin connector, but they have no circuits in the pad, and a single ground wire.

I will be attempting to wire one up for the cpc this weekend, I want to see if the undocumented 3rd fire button really works!!

http://old.pinouts.ru/Game/NeoGeoJoystick_pinout.shtml
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

TotO

Sure, the 3rd line work on CPC (not PLUS). It was already tested and used on R-Type in example.

So, you will have no problem at all to wire your NeoGeo controller to the CPC.
Now, the best option will be to use a multiplexer chip into your adapter to support more buttons.

kawickboy

that's why the amx mouse doesn't work on cpc plus.
neogeo hardware is a bit old nowadays. as some newer superguns use ps2 controllers instead of neogeo controllers. and on the asian market there is plenty of wonderful and cheap usb pads, which are clones of saturn/nes/snes/md pads.

Skunkfish

Quote from: keith56 on 09:45, 30 November 16
A NeoGeo console stick, or Neogeo CD pad could be used as well if you are willing to make a converter, they use a 15 pin connector, but they have no circuits in the pad, and a single ground wire.

I will be attempting to wire one up for the cpc this weekend, I want to see if the undocumented 3rd fire button really works!!

http://old.pinouts.ru/Game/NeoGeoJoystick_pinout.shtml

Keith, I believe the Neo Geo CD pad requires the +5V line whereas the original stick doesn't. Let me know if you find that isn't the case as I have a couple of CD controllers lying around that I'd like to use! :D
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

dragon

I find these gamepads teorically compatible.

http://www.vesalia.de/r0d_atari_joysticks_gamepads.htm

I have one original megadrive gamepad adapted, and i don't like the feeling with amstrad, burnin rubber respond to slow compared with gx4000 gamepad. Most dificult the game.

http://amigastore.eu/es/buscar?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=Gamepad

TotO

All those controllers are not directly compatible with the CPC...
They require an adapter to work, like the Megadrive controller.

About the NeoGeo CD controller, it is the same as the NeoGeo controller.
No 5V is required, but the pin have existed for a "future usage".

Now, for CPC and PLUS users, better to be limited to two fire buttons for existing games compatibility.
New games should use an optional dedicated board from the expansion port to allow more buttons and avoid ghosts keys side effect.

PulkoMandy

Quote from: kawickboy on 10:03, 30 November 16
on the asian market there is plenty of wonderful and cheap usb pads, which are clones of saturn/nes/snes/md pads.

Good news: I have this Albireo board with an USB port  on it, which could be used with these. I need to figure out USB hubs if we want more than one pad, however.

villain

Quote from: PulkoMandy on 11:22, 30 November 16
Good news: I have this Albireo board with an USB port  on it, which could be used with these. I need to figure out USB hubs if we want more than one pad, however.

That's my favourite answer, so far... :-)

dragon

Quote from: TotO on 10:44, 30 November 16
All those controllers are not directly compatible with the CPC...
They require an adapter to work, like the Megadrive controller.

About the NeoGeo CD controller, it is the same as the NeoGeo controller.
No 5V is required, but the pin have existed for a "future usage".

Now, for CPC and PLUS users, better to be limited to two fire buttons for existing games compatibility.
New games should use an optional dedicated board from the expansion port to allow more buttons and avoid ghosts keys side effect.

Are you sure toto?.I put it because in the spanish shop they tell in the text are amstrad cpc compatible.

These is the manufacturer: http://www.retrojoysticki.com.pl/offer/classification-by-design/joypads/

kawickboy

But how many buttons are supported ? For many people amstrad/commodore/atari compatible means that 1 button is managed.

The problem is worst with amiga cd32. As many cd32 games are simple amiga 500 ports only 1 button is needed with them. so many retailers said that 6b megadrive pads are cd32 compatible. but in fact only 4 directions + 1 button are supported. With games like fighting spirit 6 buttons are managed.

TotO

How they can work on CPC???

Pin 7 require a select signal level (GND / VCC) to decode the inputs.
On CPC, this pin is used for FIRE 2 and while it is not pressed, the level is floating.
For me, the controller will do random things in the worst case... In the best case, you will have up, down, left, right, fire 1 OK.

VincentGR

For the 8bits you need voltage to have more than two buttons I think.
I don't have a GX pad for my plus -which he is still in his box  :picard: - but I made a converter to play Invasion of the zombies on my plain 6128 with a, MS pad.

TotO

Quote from: VincentGR on 14:36, 30 November 16
For the 8bits you need voltage to have more than two buttons I think.

CPC:
Pin1 = UP
Pin2 = DOWN
Pin3 = LEFT
Pin4 = RIGHT
Pin5 = SPARE
Pin6 = FIRE1
Pin7 = FIRE2
Pin8 = COM1
Pin9 = COM2

Megadrive:
Pin5 = VCC to allow to power the internal integrated multiplexer circuit.
Pin7 = GND to encode A and START or VCC to encode LEFT, RIGHT, B, C

dragon

O.k, i remember see another pad time ago in other shop but i not remember :S-

Puresox

Quote from: TotO on 14:58, 30 November 16
CPC:
Pin1 = UP
Pin2 = DOWN
Pin3 = LEFT
Pin4 = RIGHT
Pin5 = SPARE
Pin6 = FIRE1
Pin7 = FIRE2
Pin8 = COM1
Pin9 = COM2

Megadrive:
Pin5 = VCC to allow to power the internal integrated multiplexer circuit.
Pin7 = GND to encode A and START or VCC to encode LEFT, RIGHT, B, C
should be easy to adapt an old quick shot orsimilar

TotO

Sure. While the joystick cable have all the required wired pins, it is easy to transform a dual 1 fire button controller to a real 2 fire buttons.  ;)

keith56

Quote from: Skunkfish on 10:26, 30 November 16
Keith, I believe the Neo Geo CD pad requires the +5V line whereas the original stick doesn't. Let me know if you find that isn't the case as I have a couple of CD controllers lying around that I'd like to use! :D

Well it seems I under/overestimated the Neogeo pad, only classic stick works... Beanstick and NeoGeoCD Pad do not work

I made my converter, UDLR work on all 3 pads, but the buttons do not work right
The classic stick (rectangular one) - Works fine (3 buttons on 6128, 2 on plus)
Bean stick - Both buttons fire as soon as it plugs in, but nothing after that
NeoGeo pad - no buttons do anything

I am UDLR work because these are microswitches, and the "Soft pad" contacts are not making a good enough connection?

Updated: 2016/12/31 - didn't think the Classic stick worked, but it turned out the stick itself was failing!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

dlfrsilver

I have a question folks, is it a CPC classic game or a CPC plus game ?

Neil79

Quote from: dlfrsilver on 15:18, 03 December 16
I have a question folks, is it a CPC classic game or a CPC plus game ?

Someone didn't read the original article on IRN :p

QuoteStreet Fighter II titled 'Street Fighter II - CPC Edition' which is being developed by DaDMaN, McKlain and AugustoRuiz for the Amstrad CPC 6128 (128Kb RAM)
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter