News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Street Fighter II - CPC Edition

Started by AugustoRuiz, 13:24, 24 September 13

Previous topic - Next topic

redbox

Just looked at the specs for the MSX2 and it seems pretty much what the Plus range *should* have been  :o

Gryzor

Whoa. This looks like an earlier arcade...

Xifos

Hi,

Are there any news for the cpc version ?

And is this the same team doing the new msx2 version ?
(which is really impressive)
:)

arnoldemu

Quote from: Xifos on 09:52, 27 February 14
Hi,

Are there any news for the cpc version ?

And is this the same team doing the new msx2 version ?
(which is really impressive)
:)
I expect there will not be much news yet. They will be busy making the AI and making sure the gameplay is great.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

AugustoRuiz

Yup, quite busy right now... And teams are different and unrelated for CPC and MSX2 versions...

sigh

Quote from: AugustoRuiz on 11:16, 27 February 14
Yup, quite busy right now... And teams are different and unrelated for CPC and MSX2 versions...

Any updates on how the project is going in regards to the speed of the game, the scrolling (if any) and the controls?

ivarf

Quote from: redbox on 13:14, 04 February 14
Just looked at the specs for the MSX2 and it seems pretty much what the Plus range *should* have been  :o

The GX4000 can scroll, MSX2 can not

Xifos

Quote from: AugustoRuiz on 11:16, 27 February 14

Ok i understand.
Sorry for asking, didn't want to put any pressure on you, i know this is a lot of work.

AugustoRuiz

Quote from: sigh on 11:31, 27 February 14
Any updates on how the project is going in regards to the speed of the game, the scrolling (if any) and the controls?

Speed remains the same right now, and scroll is back, though I'm not happy with the scrolling algorithm. I'll change it so that the scroll is based on a character "pushing" the borders, rather than keeping the characters midpoint @ the middle of the screen (thought it would work nice, but it doesn't).

Scroll is implemented using hardware, one character at a time, so it's not as smooth as it could be.

Controls: We're still testing which is the best way of implementing several kind of punches without ghosting. I think that forcing playing with the joystick plus some additional key is not a good idea, sorry. Also, timing the presses will make SFII look more like a KoF. So right now what's implemented is a direction based strategy. If you push forward, it's a strong attack. If you push back, a weak attack. If no direction (back/fwd), then it's a middle attack.

Also, we're discussing right now if we will use tiles to build the background (in order to save some memory), or keep doing it with a big bitmap as it is right now (this will be a disc only release)... We need memory!!!

Xifos

Does it really need to scroll ?
I found that the version without scrolling (the video you posted) worked well.
Or do you intend to reduce screen width to 64 bytes, and use hardware scrolling ?
(and have to use tiles 2*8 for background)

AugustoRuiz

Well, it's not that it's needed, but it's a "nice to have", as it doesn't impact performance.
Screen width as of now is 176 pixels (88 bytes), and, if changed, it will be to expand a little, never to reduce.
Tiles are not "needed" for scrolling. It's just a matter of saving some (quite a bit of, actually) memory...

sigh

Quote from: AugustoRuiz on 12:17, 28 February 14

Speed remains the same right now, and scroll is back, though I'm not happy with the scrolling algorithm. I'll change it so that the scroll is based on a character "pushing" the borders, rather than keeping the characters midpoint @ the middle of the screen (thought it would work nice, but it doesn't).

Scroll is implemented using hardware, one character at a time, so it's not as smooth as it could be.

Controls: We're still testing which is the best way of implementing several kind of punches without ghosting. I think that forcing playing with the joystick plus some additional key is not a good idea, sorry. Also, timing the presses will make SFII look more like a KoF. So right now what's implemented is a direction based strategy. If you push forward, it's a strong attack. If you push back, a weak attack. If no direction (back/fwd), then it's a middle attack.

Also, we're discussing right now if we will use tiles to build the background (in order to save some memory), or keep doing it with a big bitmap as it is right now (this will be a disc only release)... We need memory!!!

Just my 2 cents (or 2 pence!),

I would remove the scrolling. You've created the sprites in a very good size, that there is enough area to move around and not get corner trapped.
The directional control method sounds problematic as there are characters that activate certain unique moves when pushed in a certain direction. For instance - Chun Li does her air flying rotating kick cross up move, when you push down diagonal and kick.

If your having the Super characters in their like Deejay, Cammy etc - they have a few directional moves too.

The "no direction" is a good idea and I was wondering if it you could have this set up:

Tap button with joystick in any dierection - Light move
Hold  button with joystick in any direction - Hard move
Tap button with "no direction" - Medium move.

I think with this method, you can still pull off a lot of the combos like Ryu's flykick - medium kick into fire ball or Guiles Jumping Punch - uppercut - sonic boom into back fist etc.

For the background, I would suggest a mixtute of tiles and big bitmap.

Edit: Just read this...

Quote from: AugustoRuiz on 13:38, 28 February 14
Well, it's not that it's needed, but it's a "nice to have", as it doesn't impact performance.

Fair enough. Then yes - leave it in if you can.

AugustoRuiz

Quote from: Xifos on 13:23, 27 February 14
Ok i understand.
Sorry for asking, didn't want to put any pressure on you, i know this is a lot of work.
Btw, I don't feel that asking is putting pressure, don't worry. But due to my limited time to devote to this project, the progress is slow.
For example, I've been struggling for three weeks trying to find out why my loading code worked in WinAPE and other emulators, but it crashed on the real CPC6128. I don't have a physical machine to test it (I only have a 464 with green monitor), so it's been a bit difficult, and it has taken more time than what it should. In the end it was a matter of not waiting enough time to let the drive motor reach a stable speed, and some bug in the recalibration routine. I had to study R-Type source to see that most of my implementation was Ok, but there where some things that I was doing a different way (such as the way to wait for the motor to get to speed), and several constant values. As soon as I changed that, it started working on the real machine (although now it loads slower on the emulator).
By the way, the greetings and thank you list in this production will need to have it's own load. A lot of people are helping (whether they know it or not!)...

dragon

This shows that the emulators do not emulate 100% the machines.

Have in mind once finished, make a version for the plus range? or integrated it?(as does the Prehistorik 2).

AugustoRuiz

Quote from: dragon on 14:04, 28 February 14
This shows that the emulators do not emulate 100% the machines.

Have in mind once finished, make a version for the plus range? or integrated it?(as does the Prehistorik 2).

Hum... DaD would certainly like that, but being sincere... I've been working on this project for several years. I'm not sure I'll have the motivation to do a Plus version. It's not on my mind right now... But adding support to the CTC-AY in order to play samples might be nice. Hadouken!

fano

Quote from: AugustoRuiz on 12:17, 28 February 14Controls: We're still testing which is the best way of implementing several kind of punches without ghosting. I think that forcing playing with the joystick plus some additional key is not a good idea, sorry. Also, timing the presses will make SFII look more like a KoF. So right now what's implemented is a direction based strategy. If you push forward, it's a strong attack. If you push back, a weak attack. If no direction (back/fwd), then it's a middle attack.
Does this causes problem with special moves that uses a lot direction keys ?

Quote from: AugustoRuiz on 15:00, 28 February 14Hum... DaD would certainly like that, but being sincere... I've been working on this project for several years. I'm not sure I'll have the motivation to do a Plus version. It's not on my mind right now... But adding support to the CTC-AY in order to play samples might be nice. Hadouken!
If you need some help with CTC-AY , just send me a PM  ;)

I can not remember if i already wrote this but good luck with the project , SFII with R-Type are my dreams for CPC, take your time but do us a great conversion  ;)
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

AugustoRuiz

No, there's no problem with that, the way I'm handling attacks and special moves is always the same, having an ordered table with the required moves, stored backwards. Key presses are stored in a ring buffer, and whenever an attack button is pressed, the attack table is traversed and key presses are checked. The order of the attacks in the table will allow me to have precedence of certain attacks over others.

Attacks are stored this way:

Required initial state (on the floor, in the air...) - 1 byte
Key presses ordered backwards (n bytes)
0xFF end of attack key presses
Attack struct address (2 bytes)

Attack struct stores damage inflicted when hit and when blocking, hit areas, attack status proc address... Things like that.

So simple attacks can be stored last in the table, and that way there will be no conflicts.

The nice thing is that I work with forward/back instead of left/right. :)

I appreciate the offer, fano. I'll let you know ;)

arnoldemu

This version of Street Fighter 2 is mentioned in Retro Gamer. There is a picture from it too.
My games. My Games

AugustoRuiz

arnoldemu

My games. My Games

sigh

Need to buy this issue.

@AugustoRuiz: Your version is really looking stunning and I look forward to seeing more.

AugustoRuiz

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:49, 04 March 14
Yes.
Hum, seems I cannot buy it in Spain for my Android tablet :( Any picture?

Quote from: sigh on 15:39, 04 March 14@AugustoRuiz: Your version is really looking stunning and I look forward to seeing more.

Let's hope we can complete it with the expected quality!

AugustoRuiz

Quote from: AugustoRuiz on 16:28, 04 March 14
Hum, seems I cannot buy it in Spain for my Android tablet :( Any picture?
Finally I could buy it via Zinio :)

Gryzor

Damn, sorry, didn't see the newer posts earlier... here's the RG mention:

[attachimg=1]

AugustoRuiz