News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

stryker (cart edition)

Started by arnoldemu, 14:01, 07 October 13

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

Hi All,

Attached is Stryker and the Crypts of Trogan converted to cartridge.

I used my cart filing system.

This conversion was hard work but I did it.

My changes:
- when the title screen appears, there is a timeout, or you can press "fire" (space or either digital joystick button) to continue
- in menu you can use keyboard or joystick to switch fx/music. pause is not used here so no clash over P!
- in game you can control the menu through q,a,o,p and space (with H to pause) OR either digital joystick (with P to pause). The control method is decided on if you press space or joystick fire.

The game was harder to convert because:
1. It has a built in checksum test (it does a checksum and reports a "load error") so patching the game was more difficult.
2. Stryker loads on 64K or 128K and has extras for 128k (same as on tape). So if you run on gx4000 you will have 64k game, if you run on 6128+ you can have 128K game. So this is a cart that uses the extra 128k :)
3. I had to check both 64k and 128k versions, and on some screens the inputs change a little.
4. There isn't any extra room to patch in anything new (no other plus features could be used). I had just enough space (where the keyboard reading code is) to patch in code to enable a cart page, jump to the cart, do some work (plenty of space left in cart to do work) and then jump back. I put pause check, control scan, and menu control code here. Very little ram space to do other patching :(

I hope I didn't introduce any new bugs, I tested quite a lot.

Hope you like it.

If I patch another game to cart, I'll try to add a bit more features.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Seriously good work. Will have to try it out later :)

Bryce.

Trebmint

Good Stuff. About time this was available as a .cpr :)

Kris

Just test it onto a real CPC+ and works perfectly !
Very nice job done regarding the menu ;)

TFM

Can't check it on a real 6128+ at the moment, but you mention the analogue joystick. So can you play the game using the analogue joystick?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Kris

@TFM: no, the game does not work with analogic joy :(

TFM

What a pity, but here it's ok. However it would be really great if more games would use it.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

what is this Phillips Diskdrive unit ? is this a MSX ? :o
Looks kool.

Also concerning the "cartridge" conversion, does it works with ROMboxes as well ?

TFM

And now the important question: Is there a cart version with a cheat? Or at least some 100 lives? That would really help!
TFM of FutureSoft

arnoldemu

Quote from: TFM on 19:01, 07 October 13
Can't check it on a real 6128+ at the moment, but you mention the analogue joystick. So can you play the game using the analogue joystick?
No I did not support it. It took me a long time to make it work and test it so I did not add it this time.
My games. My Games

TFM

Not sure if it would make sense for this game anyway.
TFM of FutureSoft

arnoldemu

Quote from: arnoldemu on 19:59, 07 October 13
No I did not support it. It took me a long time to make it work and test it so I did not add it this time.

Will somebody make a cartridge label and printable pdf ?  We can now work towards this goal for our own carts.
My games. My Games

Trebmint

Quote from: arnoldemu on 20:03, 07 October 13
Will somebody make a cartridge label and printable pdf ?  We can now work towards this goal for our own carts.

Shouldnt labels and booklets wait until the carts are available, else we're just going to end up with people butchering existing game carts. And any new labels and booklets shouldnt ape the style of the originals cos it plays into the hand of ebay scammers. There should be a new cart label style perhaps.

I personally think there should discussion about how we allow people to make new carts, but also stop the flood of new carts on ebay from people trying to make a quick buck from other peoples work

arnoldemu

Quote from: Trebmint on 08:43, 08 October 13

Shouldnt labels and booklets wait until the carts are available, else we're just going to end up with people butchering existing game carts. And any new labels and booklets shouldnt ape the style of the originals cos it plays into the hand of ebay scammers. There should be a new cart label style perhaps.

I personally think there should discussion about how we allow people to make new carts, but also stop the flood of new carts on ebay from people trying to make a quick buck from other peoples work
I agree with you that I don't want people butching existing carts and I don't want the ebay scammers to take hold.

I was hoping first for electronic versions of the label and booklet more to get the ball rolling because we're not close to the newly made carts yet. I was hoping for someone, me if it has to be - but I am not an artist, to draw up some draft labels/docs and we can then have something to discuss and work on. These labels/docs I was really aiming towards the community.

My games. My Games

redbox

Quote from: arnoldemu on 14:01, 07 October 13
This conversion was hard work but I did it.

Mega work though, well done.

Kudos :)

dcdrac

tried it on Javagx4000 got a grey screen, now what equipment I need to obtain to access this on a rom?

Phantomz

I've just updated this version by @arnoldemu

You can now use UP or Joypad 1 Button 2 to Jump , like in the PLUS version of Switch Blade.

No other changes have been made, so this is to be used on a PLUS computer or you will get stuck on the highscore table.

Use the version I did for the GX4000 for the console.  ;)

JayBlood

Tested with WinApe emulator, work great. I transfer this game on my real CPC+ when my holidays are finished. ;) Good job. Thanxxx!
Jay