News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Super Wonderboy in colours

Started by JupiterJones, 10:31, 10 September 21

Previous topic - Next topic

JupiterJones

Hi everyone!

I have this game since I was a child, I played it with the good old green GT65 monitor. Recently I played it in full colours, and it looks a bit poor. I remember those colourful screens of Amiga port...

I was wondering if it would be technically possible and feasible to replace SWB 2/3 colour sprites with new ones... And do a new and nicer version. Of course, I'm explicitly forgetting any license issues, but I was just curious if it could be done somehow.

Thanks!

zeropolis79

I was thinking about this the other day - do we know if it's bugged like the Speccy version which makes it uncompletable?

In theory, I couldn't see any reason why it couldn't be done - it's a near standard platformer with no technical tricks.

Shaun M. Neary

The code for SWB on the Amstrad does not suffer the Spectrum dragon bug (in fact, the Speccy version was fixed by looking at the CPC code, I've finished the game on both).

However the tape loader for the levels on the CPC is appauling, it randomly starts then freezes on different levels. Disk version is completely playable though.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

zeropolis79

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 11:05, 10 September 21
The code for SWB on the Amstrad does not suffer the Spectrum dragon bug (in fact, the Speccy version was fixed by looking at the CPC code, I've finished the game on both).

However the tape loader for the levels on the CPC is appauling, it randomly starts then freezes on different levels. Disk version is completely playable though.

That I did not know.. I didn't play much of this on the CPC as it had lazy Speccy port written all over it. I know fandom fixed the bug in recent years - I remember a massive thread on the World of Spectrum forum about it.

MiguelSky

At least, a change in the background color for the different areas might have been one extra point, as the Speccy version does...

zeropolis79

Although a relic of the bootleg translations of the arcade original, I'd re-write the text to make it better to read

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: MiguelSky on 12:26, 11 September 21
At least, a change in the background color for the different areas might have been one extra point, as the Speccy version does...

It's excruciating that the Speccy version ended up better than the Amstrad version. And it's so much faster. After played the fixed version, I can't play the CPC version anymore. And I was a massive fan of the arcade.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

kawickboy

I owned the "Monde des Merveilles", an Ocean bundle of Rainbow Island, Bubble Bobble, New Zealand Story and Super Wonderboy (a bundle similar to an "Addicted to fun" release altough) and i was never able to finish the game. Later a tried the Xor crack release, i had the same issue, after a jump the game hang up, near the end.
The game is really to slow, that's true and there is lack of colour, 2 bad speccy ports related issues

Shaun M. Neary

It can be done...
Oh yes, it can be done. And that's with the original dsk image. :)

(sorry for the faded image quality, cameraphone on TV deal... I don't do emulation)

No photo description available.

JupiterJones

Answering to myself and after a fast search on this forum, my idea was not exactly original:

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/editing-the-palette-of-an-existing-game/msg21216/#msg21216
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/super-wonder-boy-in-monster-land/

Looks like some work has been done to some extent, but using a video mode that only allows up to 4 colours, but is more than that quick and dirty Spectrum port!  :laugh:

NiNxPe

Quote from: JupiterJones on 10:31, 10 September 21Hi everyone!

I have this game since I was a child, I played it with the good old green GT65 monitor. Recently I played it in full colours, and it looks a bit poor. I remember those colourful screens of Amiga port...

I was wondering if it would be technically possible and feasible to replace SWB 2/3 colour sprites with new ones... And do a new and nicer version. Of course, I'm explicitly forgetting any license issues, but I was just curious if it could be done somehow.

Thanks!

...something like this :

JupiterJones

Quote from: NiNxPe on 23:34, 15 September 21

...something like this :

Lovely! Yes, much more suitable for a Colour Personal Computer :D
Is it a mod?

VincentGR

Quote from: NiNxPe on 23:34, 15 September 21

...something like this :

Dear Lord!!!!      :o

Fantastic.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: NiNxPe on 23:34, 15 September 21...something like this :

Looks very similar to the Sega Master System version...
If we could use these colours on the CPC and have it nice and speedy. I'll happily take it 128k only! :D